Currently/just finished watching/reading anime/manga thread.

Started by Nyerp, June 09, 2011, 01:37:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Nyerp

nichijou ended ;_;

the finale could have been better but still cry;

Nyerp

Nyerp

i finished the wolf's rain series itself............i'm afraid to watch the ovas cry;

Nyerp

i finished all of wolf's rain...it was by all rights beautiful and amazing...but i kind of hated it :(

god damn it anime >.<

Kalahari Inkantation

Nyerp

well the show has plenty of problems, including some plot inconsistencies that it never tries to address, but my main reason is that it puts you through 4 episodes of soul-crushing depression that lead up to an ending that i'm not sure was worth it :(

Samus Aran

just got done watching a great Ghibli film, "Whisper of the Heart"

it's a much more subdued film than one might expect from Miyazaki, a much more slice-of-life teenage romance story, but it's still got that magic you'd expect from any of his films, and it's just really beautiful and heartfelt and it was great

giggle;

Nyerp

Quote from: Hakase on September 29, 2011, 03:06:07 PM
just got done watching a great Ghibli film, "Whisper of the Heart"

it's a much more subdued film than one might expect from Miyazaki, a much more slice-of-life teenage romance story, but it's still got that magic you'd expect from any of his films, and it's just really beautiful and heartfelt and it was great

giggle;

well it wasn't directed by miyazaki, he wrote the screenplay

Samus Aran

Quote from: Sakamoto on September 29, 2011, 03:32:54 PM
well it wasn't directed by miyazaki, he wrote the screenplay

ohh okay

now i'll have to watch the cat returns sometime giggle;

Nyerp

Samus Aran

Finished Gunslinger Girl.

It's an anime that has a lot of problems but still manages to be good in the end. Good, not great.

For one thing, aside from the titular gunslinging girls, the character design is generally either as bland as can be or genuinely ass-ugly. And animation in general is usually pretty lazy, except in the very well-done action scenes (which are more sparse than they should be).

Pacing is an issue here as well. For a show about cyborg assassins, there isn't exactly a whole lot of action most of the time. There is typically one major action scene per episode, maybe with one or two other little minor ones. Most of the show is very slow, with different episodes largely focusing on different girls and their adult handlers. There is character development, but with a show that is 13 episodes long, compounded with a somewhat episodic nature, you're not really gonna have enough character development to make it excusable for a show to be this slowly paced all the time. Some more variation would have been nice. I feel like this balance was handled much better in the last few episodes.

I don't know. It was too short, too slow (and thus a bit boring sometimes), and too bland to be anything genuinely memorable. But it wasn't bad, and certain moments make it a worthwhile watch. And even if I am complaining, note that my complaints aren't so monumental that it's worth avoiding this show. Just don't expect anything amazing...but there's more good than bad to be had here, and hopefully the second season will help make the show seem less rough around the edges.

7/10

Samus Aran

started toaru majutsu no index

so far i can at least say that it is visually very, very nice

i don't know though, it's honestly not interesting me way too much lol, although i can't say it's uninteresting either. i'm getting major shakugan no shana vibes here. that sort of "this is honestly kind of generic but if i just sort of tune out of the critic in my brain then it's mostly enjoyable even if there's nothing memorable happening"

but this is just the sense i'm getting from just two episodes, so maybe that'll change. at least index herself is adorable.

Nyerp

Nyerp

i watched the last episode of blood-c because i heard it was hilariously awful

lmao jesus christ avoid this show at all costs

Samus Aran

Quote from: Sakamoto on October 01, 2011, 07:06:15 AM
that's what you should have expected going into it confuseddood;

what, should i expect mediocrity from everything? is that what you do?

but seriously, no, i did no prior research or anything and pretty much only knew about the series because of its silly name and the titular Index character and went into it blindly, which was sort of intentional because sometimes i just like to find things out for myself as unbiased as possible

Go Up