June 03, 2024, 12:34:00 PM

1,531,631 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Currently/just finished watching/reading anime/manga thread.

Started by Nyerp, June 09, 2011, 01:37:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Got a whole bunch of manga from my reddit secret santa

Samus Aran

finished Psycho-Pass earlier today. 8/10. solid, simply great show with no frills. high animation production values, characters i enjoyed, solid story, classic setup and good delivery. ghost in the shell lite.

finished Aldnoah.Zero just now. 6/10 at best. don't bother. mediocre series with bland, forgettable characters and iffy CGI. a story not worth writing home about. middle of the series actually gets pretty nifty but the horrible ending ruins all that. it's just a setup for a second season anyway.

TooB

gotta wait till january for jojo now.......................

Nyerp

bluaki

I actually enjoyed Aldnoah Zero

but that ending was indeed ridiculous. Slaine is insane.

Some other things I finished recently:
Stardust Crusaders (first half): I didn't like this as much as Jojo's parts 1 and 2 because it focuses so much on villain of the week and has very little continuity or development. Supposedly the second half of this series is better, but I'm not interested enough in Jojo's to read any of the manga.
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki: My favorite anime of the season
Tokyo Ghoul: 2edgy4me
Locodol: It was sort of enjoyable.
Captain Earth: So much bad writing with countless plot points that go nowhere, a rushed ending, and villains that essentially lose their personality after the episode they're introduced in
Fate Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya 2wei: A bit worse than the first season thanks to the introduction of an 'antagonist' with half-hearted meaningless goals and making the protagonist lose power rather than gain new abilities.

Within the next week, a few more series I've been following will end: Free S2, Persona 4 Golden, Barakamon, and Mahouka

Samus Aran

the whole "villain of the week" setup is exactly why Stardust Crusaders is one of my least favorite parts of the manga. and since the anime version of Phantom Blood is way better than its manga counterpart, when it comes to the anime I honestly think Stardust is the worst part thus far lol

but yeah stardust actually gets way better from here on out. very creative stands and a fantastic final arc.

the parts after stardust still sort of do "villain of the week," but not in such an obvious, cramped matter. i'm really looking forward to the eventual animation of part 4 because my god i love it

ahh i need to watch the rest of nozaki-kun i like it a lot too

Nyerp

at least jojo is a show where even typical villain of the week stuff is extremely entertaining

Samus Aran

Nyerp

Totla

probably going to rewatch TTGL since i watched the first half with my friend since she'd never seen it. might as well finish it.

Samus Aran

Finished Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun yesterday. Fun, cute slice of life with an amusing premise (all the shoujo manga jokes and the show itself mirroring said manga). A bit dull at times, particularly when dealing with side characters. Good show though. 7/10

bluaki

The Summer 2014 season just ended for everything I've been watching. The other things I was watching that just ended are:
Mahouka: Not worth watching 26 episodes of. There are a lot of characters who don't matter, a lot of needlessly-complicated things going on that take a lot of time to explain, and a slow pace.
Barakamon: It's a pretty enjoyable slice-of-life
P4GA: The jumping around in time wasn't very good. Even though I've seen the previous P4 anime, I feel like this doesn't give a particularly complete story like there's a lot of stuff I miss if I didn't play P4G.
Zankyou no Terror: Pretty entertaining, though it was fairly ridiculous
Free S2: Less entertaining than the first season. The story really has no major goals or conflicts that seem to matter.

Samus Aran

i finished Zankyou no Terror today and the ending was lame, Five was pointless to the story, and Lisa was kind of there for no reason too and the story got really dumb around the time Five was introduced lol

but it was still pretty good overall, just nothing special. honestly a ton of wasted potential because it started out so good.

7/10

i haven't finished Barakamon yet but i'm convinced, after 10 episodes, that it's the best show this season

Nyerp

zankyou no terror is the kind of show where the great direction almost tricked me into thinking the story was great as well

it's worth watching for the direction/animation/music but not much else imo

and i don't really agree that it "started out so good" either because the first 4 or so episodes were all the same thing but eh

Nyerp

Go Up