Help us decide on an internet package....

Started by applesauce, April 22, 2011, 06:52:35 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

applesauce

April 22, 2011, 06:52:35 PM Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 05:26:18 PM by applesauce
So, three of my friends and I are moving to an apartment next week, and we're trying to decide which internet service package to get from Comcast. We will be wiring the entire apartment with gigabit ethernet internally and will have dual band N wireless. Regularly we will have 7 machines, 2 of which will be fileservers online. It's likely that we will have a large number of machines (10-15) on the network a few times a month.

The residential plans we're looking at are 20down/4up for $70, and 50down/10up for $117. Of course, those speeds are the powerboost speed and we're likely only going to get about 1/3rd of that or less on a regular basis. Also, we would have a bandwidth limit of 250gb.

The business plans are 12down/2up for $60, and 22down/5up for $100. The business speeds are true speeds, and we would likely get the full speed all the time, as well as have the bandwidth limit raised to somewhere in the neighborhood of 3tb. Unfortunately, they static IPs are another $15, which is ridiculous.

I think we are currently leaning towards the 12d/2u business plan, at least for now. I'm sure they wouldn't complain if we wanted to up it later on.

Boyager opinions?

burzumfan420

?????

Die for Dethklok

applesauce

Quote from: TheSequel on May 26, 2011, 02:46:41 PM
Does it have to be Comcast?

Well, it's too late now.

Butttt.....

We don't have FiOS here, and U-verse was more expensive. My experience with Clearwire in the past was that while they had a great price for the speed, the latency was HORRIBLE. We did a trial at my home in Mpls, and the speed was awesome, but latency was regulary 400-600 ms. Not okay.

snoorkel

you need at least the 22down business plan, I mean 1.5 MB/s split between 3+ computers?

also your apartment is going to get fucking warm

applesauce

Right now there are only two of us here, about to be 3. We're currently on the 12/2 business plan. Once the school year starts and we are all here we might move up to the 22/5 plan.

Yeah, it does. My room has very little air circulation and has both my server and my gaming laptop. Our AC isn't too bad though... Also the place has shitty heat, so it will be welcome in the winter.

Go Up