April 27, 2024, 02:18:47 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Headphones

Started by strongbad, April 04, 2011, 11:38:48 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

I should have some extra money coming in, and I think I'm going to spend it on headphones. I want to pay around $70 to $100, I want them to be durable, and I want them to have the best possible sound quality for that price range. Noise cancellation would be cool too (is that a standard?). No earbuds, I only like those for working out.

But yeah I've attempted to do research but generally when I do that, somebody on Boyah provides a better option. Any suggestions?

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-SR-60i-Padded-Headphones/dp/B0006DPMU4

I always recommend these when people ask me. They're pretty standard fare.

The sound quality is absolutely fantastic, especially considering the price. You're probably not going to find too much that's comparable in that range.

Only downside is, they take a little while to break in, and they can feel a little uncomfortable at first. But that gets better over time.

The HD555 is only a few dollars more, but I have no experience whatsoever with them. I've had my Grados for some time now, and if these ever break, I'll buy them again.

Hiro

Grado SR60 or Grado SR80

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: Snowy620 on April 08, 2011, 05:14:48 AM
I really like the Apple Earbuds, not the best and the bass is kind of low, but they're still pretty good.

Wait, really?

They feel like a fat woman is showing her sausagy fingers into your ears and those fingers also happen to be wearing various sharp rings.

I hate those things with a passion.

But really, get the grados.

ikanaide

LCK

you poor bastards have no love for sennheiser akudood;

although grados are definitely another good choice

Hiro

Quote from: Trevor on April 08, 2011, 10:46:07 AM
you poor bastards have no love for sennheiser akudood;

although grados are definitely another good choice
Sennheisers are very good, but the Grados are better

LCK

Quote from: Ashitaka on April 08, 2011, 11:36:03 AM
Sennheisers are very good, but the Grados are better
that's kind of a very broad statement

there are many varieties of sennheiser and grado. and some are better than others

neither brand in general has a complete dominance over the other from my perspective

really the way i see it as long as people aren't buying skull candys or something shitty like that it doesn't really matter

strongbad

seriously
if i see one more pair of beats or skullcandys attached to a person bragging about how great they are i am going to cry

Hiro

Quote from: Trevor on April 08, 2011, 05:15:59 PM
that's kind of a very broad statement

there are many varieties of sennheiser and grado. and some are better than others

neither brand in general has a complete dominance over the other from my perspective

really the way i see it as long as people aren't buying skull candys or something shitty like that it doesn't really matter
i just meant for the price he was looking for, grado sr80 is one of the best, although sennheisers are still quite good.
but yeah i agree, fuckin skullcandies.

strongbad

Quote from: Snowy620 on April 11, 2011, 04:35:34 AM
Beats are actually pretty good, skullcandys are ok, cheap and sound good for their price.

From my understanding, beats are nice headphones, but you're paying way more than you should have to for the sound quality.

Hiro

Beats are actually pretty good, skullcandys are ok, cheap and sound good for their price.
Beats are pretty good, but way overpriced. Skullcandies as absolute shit.

ikanaide

snoorkel

If you're okay with over-the-head style open headphones, look up Grado SR-60s. They can be had for $40-60 on eBay and are by far the best (cheap) headphones I've ever heard, they make everything incredibly bright and 3D and will make you realize you've never used REAL headphones before.

skullcandys are ok, cheap and sound good for their price.

They're awful

Go Up