April 27, 2024, 02:34:24 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Favorite Music Player

Started by strongbad, March 19, 2011, 04:36:59 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

I spent a few years using the Zune software and growing very comfortable with it, but my Zune 80gb died a few months ago (RIP :() and I got one of the new iPod shuffles for Christmas, so I used iTunes for a while. I don't know how so many people can use iTunes. Compared to the Zune software at least, I fucking hated it. I went back to using the Zune software for a while, but stopped since it was annoying having to sync my iPod in iTunes while using Zune.

Then I found foobar2000 and fell in love. Easily the best music player I have ever used. Extremely customizable, lightweight, no bullshit. So I've been using that, although I still have to use iTunes whenever I want to update my iPod which is annoying.

EDIT: After some quick googling apparently I can use my iPod with foobar. Sweet.

Samus Aran

i don't really understand what's so bad about itunes

all i want from a music player is an organized list of my music and to be able to play it - that's what itunes does

strongbad

Quote from: Kid on March 19, 2011, 04:39:27 PM

all i want from a music player is an organized list of my music and to be able to play it - that's what itunes does

I would honestly recommend using foobar for a few days and then going back to iTunes. Also I just figured out how to iPod sync with it and it's easy as hell. It's just a lot more streamlined, less bloated, and overall a better played IMO than iTunes.

Andria

I stopped using itunes months ago finally after figuring out how to get foobar to sync my touch. I love it. So simple

[hedy]Zidone

Quote from: Kid on March 19, 2011, 04:39:27 PM

It uses an unnecessarily huge amount of memory (at least in Windows), it's bloated with Ping and that shit, and has poor tagging support.
It does, however, have smart playlists that don't seem to exist elsewhere and it's a lot simpler to tweak the interface to something I like than in foobar.

Also if you have something playing, switch to another playlist and try to pause it just stops the song :|

Quote from: MF Doom on March 19, 2011, 04:49:51 PM
I would honestly recommend using foobar for a few days and then going back to iTunes. Also I just figured out how to iPod sync with it and it's easy as hell. It's just a lot more streamlined, less bloated, and overall a better played IMO than iTunes.

Foobar isn't available for OS X, is it? akudood;

strongbad

burzumfan420

i use itunes on my windows comp and windows media player on my mac

Daddy

I dislike folder based library support.  iTunes uses an actual database file though, which I like.  Also works fine on a mac

Samus Aran

Quote from: Khadafi on March 19, 2011, 08:42:30 PM
I dislike folder based library support.  iTunes uses an actual database file though, which I like.  Also works fine on a mac

from what i recall, only the os x version of itunes uses a database file by default for libraries - the windows version didn't. i dunno if you can change that, or not.

don't let's

LCK

Ever since I got my first iPod I had used iTunes as my main media player and it never gave me any problems until recently. It either crashes or it just won't open.
It's so god damn annoying akudood;

I just recently got a Zune though, and I'm warming up to the Zune Software. It's very nice. For the most part I'm still using iTunes, though, because there's no support for Last.FM with the Zune Software.
I'm aware of things like Zenses and shit but they've never worked correctly for me.

Daddy

Quote from: Kid on March 19, 2011, 10:13:46 PM
from what i recall, only the os x version of itunes uses a database file by default for libraries - the windows version didn't. i dunno if you can change that, or not.
Back when I used Windows it used a database also.

The XML file works just as well. It's how it builds the database.

[hedy]Zidone

Also, lack of support for FLAC and ogg and shit

Also, in my experience, 75% of the time, it crashes every time trying to play M4A files.

bluaki

I prefer keeping music organized by folder rather than artist, myself. Most of my songs are OSTs from games and such, so I organize their folders by the game although the composers and such sometimes aren't constant even in one soundtrack.

foobar is nice, but since I'm usually using Ubuntu, I stick with Rhythmbox and installed a plugin just for that folder-based browser view. I've tried and disliked the other Linux music players like Exaile and Amarok and prefer to avoid using Wine as much as I can.

strongbad

omg got last.fm working with foorbar, and it imports listens from my ipod
there goes the last thing that i was making me regret switching from itunes

also btw why does it show two tracks on my posts for recent plays?

Go Up