May 08, 2024, 03:12:02 PM

1,531,623 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

TV Tuner

Started by ?????, September 09, 2010, 07:41:26 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

?????

Okay, hopefully someone can help or give me a link to some place that can.

I want to install a TV Tuner card so that I can record TV Shows (crazy, right?). I know that I need to decrypt channels that are encrypted to be able to watch them. My plan is to get digital cable box and split the connection to my tuner and TV. I also know that I will need an IR blaster to change the channel on my cable box from the tuner. I'm assuming that the remote that comes with the box will work even if I have the IR blaster in place... right?

On the software end of things, I was thinking of mythTV as a back-end and XBMC as a front-end using the MythBox plugin for XBMC. I don't have many concerns about the software end as I can probably figure this out later.

So quick recap on what I think I need:

• Digital Cable Box (have Comcast and they only broadcast in digital btw)

• TV Tuner Card (considering the HVR 1600)

• IR Blaster

• *Splitter

*I need a splitter for coax cable (cable you run from wall to TV), is there a certain type I need or what? Because I've seen one called an antenna splitter or something. Help D:
Die for Dethklok

Nyerp

?????

Quote from: Nyerp on September 09, 2010, 07:54:57 PM
just get dvr dude
You have to pay Comcast monthly for DVR and that shit costs a lot of money. Also it's cheaper to just get a tuner card instead of some other product, dude.
Die for Dethklok

?????

Thanks for the responses guys, I hope this works.
Die for Dethklok

Cookie

Quote from: TheSequel on October 04, 2010, 06:49:16 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, I hope this works.

Yeah let me know how it turns out. I've been wanting to play consoles though my PC for awhile

?????

Quote from: Cookie on October 04, 2010, 07:25:38 PM
Yeah let me know how it turns out. I've been wanting to play consoles though my PC for awhile
What? Do you mean connect your console to the monitor? Do you want to record what you play or something? Or are you just playing along?
Die for Dethklok

Cookie

Quote from: TheSequel on October 04, 2010, 08:28:41 PM
What? Do you mean connect your console to the monitor? Do you want to record what you play or something? Or are you just playing along?

Record and Play.

Go Up