April 28, 2024, 06:20:30 AM

1,531,646 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

happiness and "intelligence"

Started by hobbit, August 09, 2010, 06:56:03 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

hobbit

it's a sign of intelligence to cultivate and enjoy stupidity while at the same time having the ability to differentiate between high and low culture. although, many would argue that arrogance and self interest, not intelligence, are the main factors in deciding what is 'high class' or 'low class.'  but what exactly defines 'high class' and 'low class'? many would assume monetary value is the main factor in differentiating the two. however, does 'high class' mean better? studies have shown that middle-income countries have happier qualities of life than the more advanced countries. Countries like, costa rica, jamacia, guyana, or morocco and considered among the happiest whereas countries such as the united states, france and finland are among the least happy (on the wealthy scale only).

does this mean that an excessive societie creates too much stress and tension for ourselves that we were not biologically meant to handle? "Suicide is not chosen; it happens when pain exceeds resources for coping with pain." suicide is not necessarily the act of an insane person. the countries with the highest rates of suicide all seem to be concentrated in the united states, europe, north and eastern asia. however, the regions with the least amount of suicidal death are in south/central america, and western/southern asia.

what are your opinions???

Selkie

I personally think it's become pretty obvious that more wealth is not congruent to more happiness.

I believe as long as you have enough money to live comfortably, your happiness is not going to increase the more money you have above that point.

Because the more material things you have, the less material things you value, and the more you want to increase your amount, while losing interest in the most simple joys of life that are completely non-material.

YPrrrr

Well in my job I visit all sorts of homes... those of the rich and the poor... and I find that the low-middle middle income families are generally the friendliest and cheeriest. The poor are generally depressed about bills, while the rich are impatient and self-important. So if friendliness is any indication of happiness, then yes, I agree that the lower tiers of the middle class are the happiest.

Also my family is pretty well off but we make each other completely miserable... especially my parents who constantly shove me into some sort of "success" mold. It makes me wish I was poorer so that my parents would be proud of whatever I chose to do rather than what they deemed to be good n_n

hobbit

Quote from: YPR on August 09, 2010, 07:06:34 PM
It makes me wish I was poorer so that my parents would be proud of whatever I chose to do rather than what they deemed to be good n_n
i feel the same way. it kinda sucks.

Selkie

Quote from: YPR on August 09, 2010, 07:06:34 PM

Also my family is pretty well off but we make each other completely miserable... especially my parents who constantly shove me into some sort of "success" mold. It makes me wish I was poorer so that my parents would be proud of whatever I chose to do rather than what they deemed to be good n_n

I guess I am lucky in that sense. Neither of my parents, or basically anyone in my entire family ever went to college except me and my sister. And my parent's aren't exactly wealthy.

So they pretty much are happy with anything I will decide to do, since I am going through college and will probably get an at least decent job.

ME##

Money and intelligence can't make you happy, that's pretty clear.  It seems it the Western world we are taught to remedy our unhappiness with money and possessions, but as those don't work we get stuck in a cycle of buying more and more things.  So it makes sense for the nations in between the undeveloped and developed word to be the most satisfied, they have all their basic needs covered and live in relative peace and comfort.

Selkie

I think it is because material possessions just distract people from the true values of life.

No matter how gay that sounds

??????

'lower', poorer countries tend to have larger families, and closer relationships with friends--thus providing the individual with socialization as an asset. 

uh what the fuck is your question again there's too many topics to discuss  akudood;
next person to say "well material objects =/= happiness" gets shot <3

ME##

??????

Quote from: David on August 10, 2010, 01:14:49 AM
clucky≠happiness
i only wanted them to recognize how good their lives are through pain and suffering cry;

hobbit

Quote from: Analysis Paralysis on August 10, 2010, 01:08:15 AM

uh what the fuck is your question again there's too many topics to discuss
i'm never really sure i'm too scatter-brained. just pick one and go with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snorkel

People in the Western world are unhappy because it is implied throughout Western culture that the more efficiently you can enjoy the fruits of a consumer culture, the happier you will be. (this is obviously untrue, but the ideal upon which most of our lives are based.)

For me happiness is experience, and I suppose everyone has a different idea of their own ultimate 'happy place.' The major problem is that almost no one will actually trust themselves, instead of external influences (social stigmas and taboos, religious and political ideology, media, 'group instinct', etc) well enough to actually pursue that idea (or else they're not intelligent enough to figure it out), so they fall in line with the merit- and consumer-driven clusterfuck of a society we have.

The ignorant are happy when they're being given what they think the need and become complacent (usually prescribed by the same people giving it, e.g. corporate-consumer culture); the intelligent/creative are happy when they feel they're in motion either propagating or gathering knowledge for their ideal. Although the ranks of intelligences and abilities are clearly stratified, I think everyone could effectively move past my definition of 'ignorant happiness' with a little critical thought.

Clodius

I think money definitely makes people happier.  If you take a look at the social classes in each country you'll see that those in the richer stratosphere are happier compared to the lower classes in that same country.  I think it all comes down to specific needs in each culture and country, and when it comes down to it, if you're considered wealthy in your own country, then you're going to have less needs, less financial problem, and a better quality of life.

BlackDS

I love this thread.

At first I had decided that it was impossible to be smart and truly happy, because you start to judge dumber, simpler people, and that dumb people were just happy with whatever they have, unaware of the true misery of their life.

[move]philip;[/move]

sans culottes

It depends on how much you give a shit. Intelligent people can see that the world is fucking stupid and that's really depressing, but it's not hard to say "fuck it" and smile.
I support BUSH

Go Up