another thread about hdtvs and my lack of knowledge about them

Started by Samus Aran, July 18, 2010, 02:47:21 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

couple questions:

1.) is it always better to shoot for 1080p instead of 720p? i don't entirely know the difference in the first place, let alone if it's worth it price-wise to go with 1080p. also, this is going to be a small tv, probably 22", and at that size i can see not being able to discern between 1080p and 720p.

2.) i imagine that brands like sony, samsung and lg are safe bets, but what about brands like vizio and philips? how about panasonic?

3.) what's the difference between an LCD HD and an "LCD LED" HD?

4.) as far as older consoles go, do you think it's probably a good idea to get some sort of component plugins for those? i know they make component for snes now (saw it advertised on estarland), and i'm assuming it allows older consoles to display more properly on hdtvs than older composite cables or even older RF cable switches would.

any additional advice would be lovely

strongbad

I'm in almost exactly the same boat for the TV I'm getting for my dorm. Hit me up if you find anything, but yeah I'm a complete noob on this stuff too.

Daddy

1.) If the cost difference isn't too huge, yeah.  a 1080p has 1.5x the number of vertical lines than a 720p. Even though the size of the screen isn't huge, this won't effect whether there is a difference because you're fitting 1.5x the amount of vertical lines in the same area. You're getting more detail in the same amount of area. While it's not as drastic Think of the iPhone 3G vs the iPhone 4

2.) No clue

3.) LCD LEDs are LCDs that are backlight with LEDs instead of whatever regular ones are backlit with. It also helps the contrast or something.

4.) Yeah I dunno if those are supposed to fix any lag or adjust colors so I can't answer that.

LCK

Vizio is a brand that I'm personally very fond of, they don't have as much acclaim as Sony or the like, but they're pretty damn good when it comes down to their televisions. I own a Vizio tv right now and it's beautiful and practically flawless.

fuck phillips though, ew

Samus Aran

okay, so the limitations are basically:

-i want it 19 or 22" (preferably the latter)
-it has to be on the dell site (i'm getting a discount and able to have my mother pay some of it with her dell credit)
-it can't be over $300

so, with those limitations in mind, here are two i like. tell me what you guys think of these:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Televisions/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A3478610

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Televisions/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A3902733

the first is bigger and 1080p

the second is smaller and 720p, but has s-video, and is an LED LCD unlike the above which is just an LCD

Samus Aran

goddamn it guys look at those and tell me which you'd get akudood;

LCK

ME##

Cookie

Samus Aran

Feynman

Go Up