May 06, 2024, 03:09:44 AM

1,531,621 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Gnome not working at all?

Started by Lozal, June 01, 2010, 06:43:59 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Lozal

My Ubuntu partition randomly crashed two days ago out of nowhere. I rebooted, and it just freezes after I select it in grub. So then I chose the recovery mode option, told it to fix packages, and it didn't work. I tried removing and reinstalling gnome, and it won't let me do either. I tried startx, and the thing just freezes saying that I'm logged in in the corner.

Anyone have any idea as to what to do?

By the way, I can only do things through command prompt since gnome is completely dead, it seems.

powerofone;
powerofone; powerofone; powerofone; powerofone; powerofone;

Quote from: Pyrate on November 20, 2009, 05:11:08 AM

"You have an amazing body. You have amazing breasts."

the shortest route to the sea

My only idea is that it's the graphics server that's in the way, not gnome. If you tried running on something other than xorg, maybe that would work. Xserv?

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

?????

Post relevant logs. Logs are kept in /var/log. Try posting Xorg.0.log. There's a folder in there called gdm, but you need root access for that one, I think. sudo cd won't work and you need to know root's password to use su then cd into it.

So try this
Code Select

sudo apt-get install pastebinit      # Will let you upload files to pastebin.com
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | pastebinit # You will get a URL, post that here so that we can look at it.

I know you can grep it for errors, but I'm not sure about how to do that. You may or may not need root permissions. If you get some permission error just add sudo to the beginning of the cat command.

Does it give you an error when you try to remove GNOME?
Die for Dethklok

Daddy

get a mac lol

Also by "It wont let me do either" what is it doing when you try?

Lozal

Thank you, guys, but I just reformatted. I didn't have access to my mom's computer to view this thread and see that you guys were trying to help.

So I just reformatted. Thanks, though. :3
powerofone; powerofone; powerofone; powerofone; powerofone;

Quote from: Pyrate on November 20, 2009, 05:11:08 AM

"You have an amazing body. You have amazing breasts."

Go Up