June 05, 2024, 12:48:26 PM

1,531,631 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Heading that way

Started by Boogus Epirus Aurelius, May 22, 2010, 09:07:35 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

?????

Quote from: Rainy Day Mushroom Pillow on June 01, 2010, 03:56:15 PM
I've had three fail in the last two and a half years with only light use on each machine
Define "light use." What the fuck could you possibly be doing to them? How do they fail?
Die for Dethklok

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Typing up fucking text docs and school stuff. No significant downloads. No viruses. No heavy graphically demanding programs.

Hard drive failed on TWO of the three machines and my shit ass inspiron fell victim to some graphic card hardware failure and they wouldn't take it in due to warranty being shot. Of course it's some shoddy integrated piece of worm food.

Hp's repairing my last one, but they wiped my entire hard drive in the process.

?????

You've had bad luck then, oh well.
Die for Dethklok

Daddy

Why is it that every thread where someone says they're getting a Mac someone goes 'hurr durr they r expensive y u get that'?

In terms of laptops, Macs generally rank among the top in reliability, and on the occasion they do fail, Apple has been named repeatedly as like 1 or 2 in customer satisfaction with its customer service. So yes, they're more expensive but for the $400 more you're paying over a Dell or Sony you are getting something much less prone to failure (Oh god, Dells. WHY YOU DO THIS TO ME) and a customer service experience better than
"hi my computer wont turn on half the time and when it does i get random characters and blocks"
"hi this is taji i will help you today. did you *suggestion of something obviously unhelpful, thus wasting hours of your time just to diagnose that your motherboard is fried*"

FAMY2

Quote from: Khadafi on June 04, 2010, 08:46:05 AM
Why is it that every thread where someone says they're getting a Mac someone goes 'hurr durr they r expensive y u get that'?

In terms of laptops, Macs generally rank among the top in reliability, and on the occasion they do fail, Apple has been named repeatedly as like 1 or 2 in customer satisfaction with its customer service. So yes, they're more expensive but for the $400 more you're paying over a Dell or Sony you are getting something much less prone to failure (Oh god, Dells. WHY YOU DO THIS TO ME) and a customer service experience better than
"hi my computer wont turn on half the time and when it does i get random characters and blocks"
"hi this is taji i will help you today. did you *suggestion of something obviously unhelpful, thus wasting hours of your time just to diagnose that your motherboard is fried*"

OMG YOU TOO?  AND IF YOU CALL BACK THEY START OVER FROM THE VERY BEGINNING.  akudood;

Daddy

Quote from: FAMY2 on June 04, 2010, 01:15:24 PM
OMG YOU TOO?  AND IF YOU CALL BACK THEY START OVER FROM THE VERY BEGINNING.  akudood;
I don't have to call Dell, we are able to order the parts right away but in the past I had to deal with that BS.

When I fried my battery (lol lightening), the process was basically bringing my computer to the apple store, running a few tests to make sure it was the battery and getting a new battery. 15 minutes tops. None of this stupid bullshit.  also apple is one of the only companies that includes batteries in the extended warranty(applecare), Dell, HP, and others will only cover it for 6 months to a year.

?????

I'm glad I don't have to worry about any of this because I build my own computers, and don't plan on using a laptop :D
Die for Dethklok

Daddy

Because everyone has the time to build their own machine and provide support if a part were to fail. The extra cost pays for the warranty of the machine as a whole. I believe if your motherboard fries your ram while you are running your own build, you're sol and would have to buy new ram as the warranty wouldn't cover it.

not true for prebuilt.

it is all a battle of cost vs efficiency

LCK

June 07, 2010, 08:44:17 PM #23 Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 10:26:37 PM by Trevor
Quote from: Khadafi on June 07, 2010, 07:24:42 PM
Because everyone has the time to build their own machine and provide support if a part were to fail. The extra cost pays for the warranty of the machine as a whole. I believe if your motherboard fries your ram while you are running your own build, you're sol and would have to buy new ram as the warranty wouldn't cover it.

not true for prebuilt.

it is all a battle of cost vs efficiency
I'm not disagreeing in anyway, but when it comes to a prebuilt, the warranty completely depends on what company you purchase from. Some companies, (XFX), offer double lifetime warranties with no questions asked. Others may offer limited warranties that may still cover damage that was out of your control. Others may say that they have a simple limited warranty, but get the right person when trying to RMA, and you can get much more than what the warranty says.
But for the average computer user, it is muuuuccchh more efficient to shell out a few extra bucks on a prebuilt machine with a wonderful warranty to lessen your worry. The time it takes to try send in the faulty hardware and wait for new hardware to be sent in return, then installed yourself, it can get tedious, and most people do not want to deal with that.

?????

I was about to post something similar to LCK, but - you know - he beat me.
Die for Dethklok

Go Up