May 20, 2024, 08:59:21 AM

1,531,628 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Started by spaceman, April 30, 2010, 12:56:19 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

spaceman

Anyone try it out yet? Came out yesterday. I can't decide if I like or don't like the new look. A lot less brown is good though. Of course I can just change it all if I don't. Overall it runs very nice, boot times are fast, no real complaints. Ubuntu One File Syncing works pretty well, but I think I'll stick to Dropbox for sharing files with myself. 4 workspaces now as well.

blah blah blah more features here.

Impressions?

Minus;

Haven't gotten to use it, was going to do the update yesterday but it was downloading at fucking b/s and said that the download would take 3 days or something.

I think i might just do a clean install sometime soon

strongbad

When I get my netbook back I'm going to give it a try. It looks sick man

snorkel

I'll try it out as soon as there's an OpenVZ template available

the shortest route to the sea

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

Minus;

Got it the other day, runs smooth, boots fast, wireless and sound worked immediately this time.
Did a clean install, thankfully I had separated my partitions already and had everything stored on a FAT32 partition to share between windows and linux, and I just wiped my ubuntu install partition and installed 10.04 over that.
Works great, but i can't take full advantage of the broadcast accounts seeing as in how i have none.
But I am pleased with its performance, and it does look nicer in my opinion.

the shortest route to the sea

I haven't gotten deep into the features and stuff, but damn this is sexy.

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

Minus;

Quote from: Sheets are Swaying on May 04, 2010, 02:47:58 AM
I haven't gotten deep into the features and stuff, but damn this is sexy.

Yup it is:D

?????

Quote from: wziard on May 03, 2010, 09:04:34 PM
I'll try it out as soon as there's an OpenVZ template available
Why do you have to wait for a template?

Quote from: Minus; on May 03, 2010, 09:20:27 PM
Did a clean install, thankfully I had separated my partitions already and had everything stored on a FAT32 partition to share between windows and linux, and I just wiped my ubuntu install partition and installed 10.04 over that.
Use NTFS instead of FAT32. All you need is to add one line to your fstab and I think Ubuntu comes with ntfs-3g pre-installed, which is what gives you rwx permissions on NTFS partitions. Do it bro.
Die for Dethklok

snorkel

Quote from: TheSequel on May 05, 2010, 05:32:44 PM

Because I don't feel like taking the effort to install it locally (don't have a hard drive for it either), but I have lots of servers whose purpose is to quickly setup Linux environments, but that process requires templates modified to work with the OpenVZ kernel/boot modes and I also don't feel like making one myself

Minus;

Quote from: TheSequel on May 05, 2010, 05:32:44 PM
Use NTFS instead of FAT32. All you need is to add one line to your fstab and I think Ubuntu comes with ntfs-3g pre-installed, which is what gives you rwx permissions on NTFS partitions. Do it bro.

Eh its fine how it is now. Next time if i have to mess with that, then i'll do it.

?????

Quote from: Minus; on May 05, 2010, 06:39:19 PM
Eh its fine how it is now. Next time if i have to mess with that, then i'll do it.

Well FAT32 can't have files over 4GB in size, just so you know. NTFS's file size limit is 2^64 bytes (16 exabytes; 1 milltion TB). Most modern file systems have a limit that is unlikely to be reached. FAT32 is pretty much obsolete now, just do it.
Die for Dethklok

strongbad

I really want to get my netbook back now. I've already prepared my usb stick and I am going to install over the entire drive, that is if wifi works. Otherwise I'll have to go back to Mint, which isn't too bad.

Minus;

Quote from: TheSequel on May 05, 2010, 10:13:00 PM
Well FAT32 can't have files over 4GB in size, just so you know. NTFS's file size limit is 2^64 bytes (16 exabytes; 1 milltion TB). Most modern file systems have a limit that is unlikely to be reached. FAT32 is pretty much obsolete now, just do it.

Even full movies, full programs, songs, torrents anything i have downloaded, has never been a file larger than 4gb.

?????

I just downloaded Lucid Lynx today. I still have to burn the ISO and install it on a computer.
Die for Dethklok

Go Up