This moderately old computer doesn't work right

Started by bluaki, November 04, 2009, 10:32:48 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

bluaki

I just got a computer for like $20. My friend got it from an office that was just replacing all of its computers with newer ones, but it's not working for me :(

After I connect the screen and power cords and turn it on, the screen doesn't receive any signal from the computer. I think other stuff in the computer sounds like it's trying to do stuff, but I can't tell what's going on without the video working. Also the power LED on the front of the tower turns orange.
The computer's model is Dell Dimension 4400. It does not have onboard video on the motherboard, but rather uses an AGP card for it. The screen I'm connecting to it is a CRT that worked just fine on my other computer.

What does the orange power LED mean?
If its meaning isn't specific enough, then how do I go about figuring out what exactly is wrong?

I don't know much about hardware errors but my first guesses are video card or power supply.

ME##

I looked it up:  Amber- PS getting power. Cannot distribute power

whatever that means

bluaki

November 04, 2009, 10:59:25 AM #2 Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 07:57:14 AM by bluaki
Quote from: Дави́д on November 04, 2009, 10:54:22 AM
I looked it up:  Amber- PS getting power. Cannot distribute power

whatever that means
Oh yeah also the PSU is producing some strange smell.

I guess I could get a new one. When I feel like taking apart both computers, I'll see if that runs when I put my working computer's PSU in it.

Anybody have suggestions about specific power supplies? This original power supply was only 250W.

okay edit, I decided to open up the power supply itself and there was of course a bunch of ash in it.

snorkel

Quote from: bluaki on November 04, 2009, 10:59:25 AM
Oh yeah also the PSU is producing some strange smell.

I guess I could get a new one. When I feel like taking apart both computers, I'll see if that runs when I put my working computer's PSU in it.

Anybody have suggestions about specific power supplies? This original power supply was only 250W.

okay edit, I decided to open up the power supply itself and there was of course a bunch of ash in it.

250w should be fine for an old computer like that, just get a shitty cheap one

Go Up