April 20, 2024, 12:22:13 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

whats the harm?

Started by reeper, August 30, 2009, 03:41:41 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Oh

There is no evidence behind religion so people should not pass it off as a fact. It can't even be a theory since there is no supporting evidence so it's not even a theory, if I believed in purple elephants that fly, people would tell me they don't exist and I could tell them that they could and then we'd  be talking about God.  akudood; It's not healthy to have blind faith.

sans culottes

Quote from: Rawl on September 11, 2009, 06:34:23 PM
There is no evidence behind religion so people should not pass it off as a fact. It can't even be a theory since there is no supporting evidence so it's not even a theory, if I believed in purple elephants that fly, people would tell me they don't exist and I could tell them that they could and then we'd  be talking about God.  akudood; It's not healthy to have blind faith.
You also cannot prove that there is no god. Seriously. What if there is a god who does nothing and is almighty, hence undetectable by us? It's bizarre and unlikely, but it's possible. It's like, we have no proof that there is a planet of ewoks on the other side of the universe, but we can't say there isn't.

And you have to understand that not everyone is comfortable with the idea of there being no god. I am, you are, but many people aren't. People gotta have something they believe in. Atheists even have something they believe in - their science, or just their self-security from having confidence that there is no god. There's many people who are poor, disadvantaged, and living terrible lives. There's only one man they look to, and that's Jesus. Why did Christianity become so popular in the first place? There's this concept of salvation with a strong appeal. People want to be saved, people want to believe they can repent and turn their lives around, and join god in heaven.

Now, really. Is there any harm in having a blind faith if you're doing good things out of it?
I support BUSH

rdl

wow jmv

wow

Honestly though I think Kaz is being too soft about what he's trying to say. What he really means if that you need to shut the fuck up and we're all getting sick of your militant atheist attitude.

Daddy

Quote from: coz on September 11, 2009, 06:47:33 PM
You also cannot prove that there is no god.
You cannot prove there is no Zeus/Unicorn/Mole People/Nazi space colony/lack of reality/matrix/buffalo musical/rancid dorito/fsm/anything.

QuoteSeriously. What if there is a god who does nothing and is almighty, hence undetectable by us?
Most attacks against a god are against a personal god.

You won't find atheists, in most cases, even Dawkins arguing against a pantheistic god.

QuoteIt's bizarre and unlikely, but it's possible. It's like, we have no proof that there is a planet of ewoks on the other side of the universe, but we can't say there isn't.
I, for one, am agnostic to the existence of Ewoks and Wookies. Also the Borg.

QuoteAnd you have to understand that not everyone is comfortable with the idea of there being no god.
I'm uncomfortable walking in Dorchester, MA without a knife at night. It doesn't change anything.

QuoteI am, you are, but many people aren't.
This is why I'm going to tell all of my kids that no one dies. Instead they gain the super power of invisibility and fly to the moon. I will prevent them from learning otherwise.

QuotePeople gotta have something they believe in.
how about humanism that works.

QuoteAtheists even have something they believe in - their science, or just their self-security from having confidence that there is no god.
what are you smoking

QuoteThere's many people who are poor, disadvantaged, and living terrible lives. There's only one man they look to, and that's Jesus.
They then vote for fiscal conservatives and continue living poor, disadvantaged lives because the fiscal conservatives generally have the same religious beliefs as them.

QuoteWhy did Christianity become so popular in the first place? There's this concept of salvation with a strong appeal. People want to be saved, people want to believe they can repent and turn their lives around, and join god in heaven.
I thought it became popular after it became the official religion of the Roman Empire and it was forced upon people.

QuoteNow, really. Is there any harm in having a blind faith if you're doing good things out of it?
You provided no "good things." That's opting to take Advil rather than getting a broken bone set.
Quote from: RDX on September 11, 2009, 07:04:17 PM
wow jmv

wow

Honestly though I think Kaz is being too soft about what he's trying to say. What he really means if that you need to shut the fuck up and we're all getting sick of your militant atheist attitude.
Who is "we're all"?

And I don't think I need to since he ignored my post and continued to post shit.  hocuspocus;
it looks like you ignored that post too.

Don't worry, we can discuss it in Hell together <3

rdl

No one gives a fuck about your facts though. That's our point but you keep missing it entirely. It's as if you're blind or something. They're your beliefs; you can believe what you want. But don't try to shove it down all of our throats, because that's just fucking annoying.

"We're all" is everyone. I don't even take part in these religion arguments, but I still read them, and they still irritate me. I wouldn't be surprised if even some of the atheists here find your super atheist attitude annoying.

also i dont care if i used the semicolon wrong :|

Daddy

Quote from: RDX on September 11, 2009, 07:38:47 PM
No one gives a fuck about your facts though.

This sums up religion as a whole. thumbup;

QuoteThat's our point but you keep missing it entirely. It's as if you're blind or something. They're your beliefs; you can believe what you want. But don't try to shove it down all of our throats, because that's just fucking annoying.
They're my lack of beliefs and they're not being shoved down anyone's throat.  baddood;

Quote"We're all" is everyone. I don't even take part in these religion arguments, but I still read them, and they still irritate me. I wouldn't be surprised if even some of the atheists here find your super atheist attitude annoying.

Just Kaz but I'm pretty sure that's related to his girlfriend which is a bit silly since the beliefs I'm attacking are what causes both of them a lot of trouble and, if he read my post, he'd see the part how the beliefs think they should both be killed and tortured.

surely something that should be left alone mirite.

also i dont care if i used the semicolon wrong :|
You used a semicolon?

oh you did. oh ho ho

rdl

Quote from: JMV on September 11, 2009, 07:48:25 PM
This sums up religion as a whole. thumbup;
n this sums up how annoying you are when it comes to arguing as a whole

QuoteThey're my lack of beliefs and they're not being shoved down anyone's throat.  baddood;

They're your beliefs in the lack of existence of God and your belief that science can answer anything.
and if you're not then why am i gagging?

QuoteJust Kaz but I'm pretty sure that's related to his girlfriend which is a bit silly since the beliefs I'm attacking are what causes both of them a lot of trouble and, if he read my post, he'd see the part how the beliefs think they should both be killed and tortured.
but jmv we're not arguing about religion. we're arguing about how you're obsessed with showing everyone your atheistic beliefs.

we're arguing about jmv

QuoteYou used a semicolon?

oh you did. oh ho ho
yes i do use punctuation sometimes.

Daddy

Quote from: RDX on September 11, 2009, 07:54:55 PM
n this sums how annoying you are when it comes to arguing as a whole
I'll refrain from using actual facts and take the approach I normally get and make shit up on the fly and provide no citations. I mean that will be far less annoying not having to back up anything I say ^__________^

QuoteThey're your beliefs in the lack of existence of God

It's actually my lack of a belief in any gods.

Quoteand your belief that science can answer anything
I know from your earlier comment that you view facts as a bad thing, but would you like to link to where I claimed this?

[spoiler]I never claimed that.[/spoiler]

Quoteand if you're not then why am i gagging?
The islam your forced down your throat?

Quotebut jmv we're not arguing about religion. we're arguing about how you're obsessed with showing everyone your atheistic beliefs.
i'm obsessed with using facts rather than unquantifiable claims. a simple solution is for people to provide me with such. then we all win

yes i do use punctuation sometimes.
i dare you to use a comma next

sans culottes

JMV, seriously. No one gives a fuck.

You're the kind of person who breaks down posts, I can see, but I'm not going to bother. The point is that some people like having religions, and most people with a religion don't use it as a force of wrongdoing. For centuries, religions have shoved their believes down throats, condemning those who don't follow the same god. This idea of taking down religion and telling everyone they're wrong is no different from what they've done.

You're going to respond to me and say something about how you're not hating X you're just hating Y but that's just stupid. The point is that you can't find peace by starting a war.
I support BUSH

Daddy

Quote from: coz on September 11, 2009, 08:02:50 PM
JMV, seriously. No one gives a fuck.
Yet you're still replying.

QuoteYou're the kind of person who breaks down posts,
Shush, don't let RDX see those facts.

QuoteI can see, but I'm not going to bother.
It makes it easier to reply to each specific point.

QuoteThe point is that some people like having religions, and most people with a religion don't use it as a force of wrongdoing.
Some people like having drug addictions too.

QuoteFor centuries, religions have shoved their believes down throats, condemning those who don't follow the same god. This idea of taking down religion and telling everyone they're wrong is no different from what they've done.
Tell me it's no different when it becomes acceptable to openly state you want to kill religious people and discriminate against them.

QuoteYou're going to respond to me and say something about how you're not hating X you're just hating Y but that's just stupid.
What is stupid? Hating ancient views which harm people but not those suckered into believing them?

A christian who selectively picks from the New Testament (though this is preferable, like BA) would seem to claim this is exactly what their religion teaches. Hate sin but don't hate the sinners? Hate disillusion but don't hate the disillusioned.

i can start hating them if that's less stupid idklol

QuoteThe point is that you can't find peace by starting a war.
Telling someone that telling a belief system  govern their lives and that belief system are stupid != starting a war.

Oh

I guess JMV is just stupid for wanting the world to progress and not hide behind some veil of ignorance that feeds lies into people.  akudood; I guess it's bad trying to tell people the flaws in religion and why it allows for hatred, racism, and just plain stupidity. It's not healthy to believe in magic, and people are trying to enforce this shit in our Government, we need to educate people so they don't support these bullshit laws.

Daddy

The irony is that I only bring up "my atheism" in reply to someone bringing up their religion.

Apparently they can bring up how they believe in God but if I bring up how it's silly and I do not I am a super militant atheist.
[spoiler=lol image from reddit][/spoiler]

simple solution: stfu about your "lol my fairy tale is so perfect" and I won't tell you how silly it is.

Have I ever quoted Det, Veal, or YPR in the chat thread randomly and went off about religion?

YPR: Hey guys, I was just watching the game at a party with my girlfriend
JMV: LOL I BET YOU WORSHIPPED GOD THERE YOU FAGGOT HE'S NOT REAL OMG

No.

edit: sorry rdx I think i went over my fact quota.

sans culottes

So, you're saying there is no such thing as Christians who are friendly to non-Christians and don't let their religion govern their lives? You'd like to free people from the eternal prison of religion? This reminds me of the Cold War.
I support BUSH

Daddy

Quote from: coz on September 11, 2009, 08:28:13 PM
So, you're saying there is no such thing as Christians who are friendly to non-Christians
I did not say that. But are you saying these people would not be friendly without religion? I think that they would.

Or are you going to support the argument "BUT WITHOUT GOD WHAT WOULD STOP US FROM RAPING AND MURDERING PEOPL!?"

What I was saying that there are people who are taught the religion as it is written who attempt to control the lives of others and ensure their beliefs are fed to children in schools. Without a religion and "lol you have to respect their views!!!!" that wouldn't be happening.

Quoteand don't let their religion govern their lives?
See above.

QuoteYou'd like to free people from the eternal prison of religion?
[citation needed]

QuoteThis reminds me of the Cold War.
You're baiting me to make a comment bashing religion aren't you?

oh rdx, i thought of something for you:

in 1985 scientists prove in a variety of experiments that god does not exist

Oh

Quote from: coz on September 11, 2009, 08:28:13 PM
So, you're saying there is no such thing as Christians who are friendly to non-Christians and don't let their religion govern their lives? You'd like to free people from the eternal prison of religion? This reminds me of the Cold War.
  You're being part of a group that does do that, it's like saying you're part of the mafia that helps some people only but still are part of the mafia that kills people. It's just childish to believe in such a thing, why can't people believe that you should do as much as you can while you're still alive so you're not forgotten in time like the millions of others? Not "hay its cool if you don't do anything with your life, Jesus is waiting for you in heaven and so is everyone else ^____^", having no religion in the world would benefit it by so much, if you can't see that than you're just blinded by the filters you were raised to believe in. If you were never introduced to a belief like that, chances are you wouldn't believe in a god, someone you know or met sugarcoated religion to you as a kid and told you it was a good thing. My parents didn't take me to church so I slowly started questioning what benefits are there for being religious and supporting a cult in which many of the people do horrible things to others.  akudood;

Go Up