May 14, 2024, 04:18:48 AM

1,531,625 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

so i got snow leopard

Started by Feynman, August 28, 2009, 07:32:03 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Feynman

August 28, 2009, 07:32:03 PM Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 08:10:51 PM by reefer
i dragged my girlfriend along to the apple store to buy it

and i installed it

and it's awesome

yay

Title

how is it even different enough from 10.5 to be considered "awesome"

most of the differences are negligible and probably unnoticeable to the end user which is why I won't be buying it until 10.6.4 or 5 when everything's ironed out

Feynman

Quote from: Title on August 28, 2009, 07:44:34 PM
how is it even different enough from 10.5 to be considered "awesome"

most of the differences are negligible and probably unnoticeable to the end user which is why I won't be buying it until 10.6.4 or 5 when everything's ironed out

it feels polished and very snappy

and it runs in 64-bit

that's worth 29 bucks

Daddy

Quote from: Bassir on August 28, 2009, 08:53:26 PM
it feels polished and very snappy

and it runs in 64-bit

that's worth 29 bucks
How much faster is startup and shutdown, I heard there were like 50%+ increases in speed.

Feynman

I haven't checked that yet.

Applications launch much quicker, finder is much quicker, Exposé is very polished, everything is very very smooth and snappy, fonts are smoother, and the display on my iMac seems to be much more vibrant and prettier (weird).

snorkel

I finally got it working on my core i7 machine yesterday and love it. It's definitely a bit speedier than 10.5, as evidenced by my Xbench scores increasing a healthy percentage (although random disk access in 10.6 seems a bit fucked up, this could be due to a ICH10R bug on my motherboard relating to having multiple SATA drives)

my only complaint is that the apps I used to monitor system usage and core temps are no longer compatible, but that's not apple's fault

oh and Finder definitely never lags (or anything else).

Bassir: your display looks different because 10.6 did something with monitor calibration. for me it totally threw off the perfect profile I had setup (but then, I am using a dell 2408wfp and you have an imac)

Feynman

Quote from: wziard on August 31, 2009, 09:49:53 PM
Bassir: your display looks different because 10.6 did something with monitor calibration. for me it totally threw off the perfect profile I had setup (but then, I am using a dell 2408wfp and you have an imac)

Yes. I know.

Go Up