May 05, 2024, 08:56:07 PM

1,531,621 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Concerts?

Started by Feynman, May 28, 2009, 02:33:39 PM

previous topic - next topic

Have you been to a concert?

No.
Yes.
Go Down

Mando Pandango

Quote from: JMV on November 20, 2009, 11:02:54 AM
They're from Boston though so I meant to say that they're a bit more frequent here.  doodella;
They have three shows coming up in NYC in different venues. So yeah.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Placebo Headwound

Quote from: Man of Popsicle on November 20, 2009, 11:04:29 AM
They have three shows coming up in NYC in different venues. So yeah.
Passion Pit? It's all at Terminal 5. And the last night is the only one not sold out. hocuspocus;

Vampire Weekend show I wanted to go to sold out in five minutes before I could get anything ;_;

the shortest route to the sea

Vampire Weekend and Ani DiFranco are touring. I must ask myself the eternal question: do I care? giggle;

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

Thyme

Quote from: Alyssa the Glowing Sole on November 20, 2009, 01:02:36 PM
Vampire Weekend and Ani DiFranco are touring. I must ask myself the eternal question: do I care? giggle;

Well, do you, punk? baddood;

Quote from: Thyme on November 20, 2009, 01:04:40 PM
Well, do you, punk? baddood;

...yeah, a little bit. God, I gotta check livekick for more tickets now that I have some cash flow.

The good news: fuck buttons is suddenly playing at the Great Scott on Wednesday and I'm off that day holy shit!

The bad news: 18+.

I will not stop crying ever

Houdini

Quote from: Alyssa the Glowing Sole on November 19, 2009, 10:18:36 PM
Punk moshes are up there, though. Like, you don't get crazy shit like circle pits or the wall, but people are quite violent and quite energetic.
I've noticed that at punk shows I'm far more likely to get kicked in the face by crowdsurfers. Last metal show I went, I think I got kicked in the face maybe once. Last punk show I went to, I lost count of all the times I got kicked in the face.

Incidentally, girls are WAY better at crowdsurfing than guys.

Quote from: Houdini on November 26, 2009, 01:39:49 AM
I've noticed that at punk shows I'm far more likely to get kicked in the face by crowdsurfers. Last metal show I went, I think I got kicked in the face maybe once. Last punk show I went to, I lost count of all the times I got kicked in the face.

Incidentally, girls are WAY better at crowdsurfing than guys.

Don't metal venues usually have stricter rules on crowdsurfing? If you're a not-too-mainstream punk band with a large enough following, you're likely to get venues allowing more crazy stuff to happen.

I say this, and then I remember the "The Wall" pit videos I've seen at a few large metal concerts, and I wish I've been to more of them. OM does not count. Down sucked.

Houdini

Quote from: Alyssa the Glowing Sole on November 26, 2009, 03:41:47 PM
Don't metal venues usually have stricter rules on crowdsurfing? If you're a not-too-mainstream punk band with a large enough following, you're likely to get venues allowing more crazy stuff to happen.

I say this, and then I remember the "The Wall" pit videos I've seen at a few large metal concerts, and I wish I've been to more of them. OM does not count. Down sucked.
Yep. At larger metal shows there will generally be a line of security guards between the barrier and the stage that will try to stop crowdsurfers. At smaller punk shows, on the other hand, the security people are either nonexistent or punk fans themselves and are cooler about crowdsurfers. A lot of it also has to do with the different kinds of energy you encounter at each type of show, which is also a lot harder to explain.

Large metal concerts are an experience. They can be scary if you don't understand what's going on. At my first metal concert I ended up right in the middle of a huge pit and I was afraid I would die. Once you realize that you're actually in very little danger, you can have a lot of fun.

Also, you saw OM? Lucky bastard.

Geno

Goin to see Megadeth and Slayer in January. I don't give a fuck about Slayer but yeah megadeth
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

Quote from: Houdini on November 26, 2009, 03:49:35 PM
Yep. At larger metal shows there will generally be a line of security guards between the barrier and the stage that will try to stop crowdsurfers. At smaller punk shows, on the other hand, the security people are either nonexistent or punk fans themselves and are cooler about crowdsurfers. A lot of it also has to do with the different kinds of energy you encounter at each type of show, which is also a lot harder to explain.

This makes a lot of sense. Large punk shows suck for this reason.

QuoteLarge metal concerts are an experience. They can be scary if you don't understand what's going on. At my first metal concert I ended up right in the middle of a huge pit and I was afraid I would die. Once you realize that you're actually in very little danger, you can have a lot of fun.

I'm too young to go to the local metal venue, and I'm not deep enough into the genre to say "SHIT YEAH xxx I'LL GO SEE THEM" and get that done. The kid who used to take me to shows is off in Ohio.
Also, you saw OM? Lucky bastard.

To be honest, Thisquietarmy and Lichens, both of them two dudes with guitars and loop pedals (and a few other weirdnesses), were more interesting live. At certain points I just connected into their music, but it wasn't constant. I bet they're better on recording.

I might've had trouble being alone and hungry in a club in Montreal, too. I felt very antisocial, even when the lead guy was next to me on his laptop for about 30 minutes while I stared into space.
[/quote]

Houdini

Quote from: Alyssa the Glowing Sole on November 26, 2009, 03:55:24 PM
This makes a lot of sense. Large punk shows suck for this reason.
They all suck because most of the people who go to large punk shows are just drunk idiots looking for an excuse to act like idiots.

I'm too young to go to the local metal venue, and I'm not deep enough into the genre to say "SHIT YEAH xxx I'LL GO SEE THEM" and get that done. The kid who used to take me to shows is off in Ohio.
I've never been to a real local metal show like that, since my city doesn't have much of a metal scene. So I can't really tell you what that's like. Whenever I want to go to a metal show, I just get my dad to take me.

To be honest, Thisquietarmy and Lichens, both of them two dudes with guitars and loop pedals (and a few other weirdnesses), were more interesting live. At certain points I just connected into their music, but it wasn't constant. I bet they're better on recording.

I might've had trouble being alone and hungry in a club in Montreal, too. I felt very antisocial, even when the lead guy was next to me on his laptop for about 30 minutes while I stared into space.
I can see why you felt that way, I think. I know exactly what you mean when you say you felt antisocial. I used to feel exactly like that at shows, where I would feel somewhat uncomfortable and annoyed at having to stand up and put up with other people for so long. I've only recently begun to feel more comfortable at shows.

While I've never seen OM live, I did recently see a show in which their bass player performed, so I know more or less what their shows are like. It's all about this communion, this exchange of energy from the players to the audience, from the audience to the audience, and from the audience to the players. To be able to appreciate that kind of exchange, you have to be able to forget yourself and get lost in the music, which for people like you and me doesn't exactly come naturally. If you keep going to shows you'll eventually stop feeling so antisocial. It worked for me.

Quote from: Houdini on November 26, 2009, 04:41:29 PM
While I've never seen OM live, I did recently see a show in which their bass player performed, so I know more or less what their shows are like. It's all about this communion, this exchange of energy from the players to the audience, from the audience to the audience, and from the audience to the players. To be able to appreciate that kind of exchange, you have to be able to forget yourself and get lost in the music, which for people like you and me doesn't exactly come naturally. If you keep going to shows you'll eventually stop feeling so antisocial. It worked for me.

That makes a lot of sense, it's a shame I couldn't connect with that! Mostly, it was me being in Canada. I go to Boston shows alone pretty often, and after a bit of nudging I'm able to open up. But also shyness.

Then again, the first two acts, in their noisey denseness, I think tried to create a lot of the same kind of connection. Hell, the second guy (Lichens) drank tea while doing his guitar thing. He had a voice part in his act too, and he made a point of very slowly working himself into a meditative state. The way he used his voice...I've never heard anything quite like it. He was also spasming a little bit, but in a non-scary sort of way: more like a "I am shaking because of the universe" kind of twitching. I got into it majorly.

Houdini

Quote from: Alyssa the Glowing Sole on November 26, 2009, 06:07:02 PM
That makes a lot of sense, it's a shame I couldn't connect with that! Mostly, it was me being in Canada. I go to Boston shows alone pretty often, and after a bit of nudging I'm able to open up. But also shyness.

Then again, the first two acts, in their noisey denseness, I think tried to create a lot of the same kind of connection. Hell, the second guy (Lichens) drank tea while doing his guitar thing. He had a voice part in his act too, and he made a point of very slowly working himself into a meditative state. The way he used his voice...I've never heard anything quite like it. He was also spasming a little bit, but in a non-scary sort of way: more like a "I am shaking because of the universe" kind of twitching. I got into it majorly.
This sounds like something I'd really, really like. Whoa. I need to look into this.

Quote from: Houdini on November 26, 2009, 06:30:29 PM
This sounds like something I'd really, really like. Whoa. I need to look into this.

Compare Grouper. The first opener was Thisquietarmy, which had drums, and then the guy was Lichens (Robert Lowe).

Go Up