A program that makes plagiarism nonexistent??!!

Started by jodokast, March 10, 2009, 06:22:27 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

jodokast

March 10, 2009, 06:22:27 PM Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 03:17:22 PM by jodokast
I am curious as to whether making such a program is possible.

Put your imagination cap on, and picture this: A website like freetranslations.com, with a text box to paste content into. Some average joe would punch in a sentence/paragraph, and this program would actually reword each sentence into something entirely different, but with the same meaning. If it worked perfectly, anyone could take any essay or piece of writing and reword it so it would be something different.

Impossible? I think not.

Think of it as a sentence thesaurus. This program could use the words originally typed in, as well as new ones. For example, if one typed in: "Sea Spiders are only found at the ocean floor, where there is little to no sunlight." It could rearrange the sentence into something like this: "Sea Spiders are only located where there is barely sunlight; the ocean floor."

I understand it is difficult for computers to understand written language, and I know that the particular bot/program I'm thinking of must do the following:

-Identify sentence type
-Identify Subject and Verb
-Find synonyms for verb, and use them appropriately
-rearrange sentence
-grammar check sentence
-correct grammar
-Return finished product.

From what I've gathered from various forums and tech whizzes, this is certainly plausible, however, it is very difficult. After looking at several bots that can comprehend what you say to it and then return an answer that makes sense, I feel like what I'm talking about should not be that as hard as everyone makes it out to be.

As far as program design, I guess I would just work on one small thing at a time. Sentence rewriter? Too vague. Change some words? Still too vague. Change all adjectives with their synonyms? That's a small enough task, but vague in programming terms. Use a function to search the sentence for adjectives against a huge database file of adjectives, then create a loop to take each adjective and replace it with another synonymous adjective in a database file? Now that is both specific enough in human and programming terms. I suppose I should just break down each task in human terms first, then take each task and write it out in programming terms. I suppose grammar would be an issue, perhaps some Microsoft word code could be utilized?

Is there anyone out there who has the knowledge/expertise to help me out with this?

Daddy

Did you join just for the expertise of Boyah's programmers? akudood;

Wait a minute. I remember having an IM conversation with someone who brought this up. DAMMIT I CAN'T REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE. akudood;

Dill?

guff

i don't know who you are but you sound stupid

jodokast

Quote from: Raekewn on March 10, 2009, 06:26:20 PM
Did you join just for the expertise of Boyah's programmers? akudood;

Wait a minute. I remember having an IM conversation with someone who brought this up. DAMMIT I CAN'T REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE. akudood;

Dill?

I didn't realize Boyah had many programmers, are there some with expertise in this subject?

Daddy

Quote from: jodokast on March 10, 2009, 06:41:28 PM
I didn't realize Boyah had many programmers, are there some with expertise in this subject?
I can't do shit except
Code Select
#!/usr/bin/python
# Filename : Euler_055.py
#How many Lychrel numbers are there below ten-thousand?
numLy=0
def isPalindrome(n): return str(n) == str(n)[::-1]
def rev(n): return int(str(n)[::-1])
def lychrel(n):
for i in range(50):
  n+=rev(n)
  if isPalindrome(n):
   return False
return True
for i in range(10000):
if lychrel(i):
  numLy+=1
print "Number of lychrel numbers is %d."%(numLy)     

wariodood;
At least it's not Java.  hocuspocus;

Are there any chat bots that are open source?

jodokast

I have no idea.

Are there any Boyah genius coders in this shindig that you can point me towards?

guff

Quote from: jodokast on March 10, 2009, 06:49:27 PM
Are there any Boyah genius coders in this shindig that you can point me towards?
none that have any experience with natural language parsing  akudood;

Daddy

Gladdy does stuff in assembly doesn't he?  akudood;

Daddy

Bassir is a master copy-paster of code though.

guff

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

March 12, 2009, 06:31:03 AM #10 Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 06:49:54 AM by Craven Morehead
I thought plagiarism was already illegal.

strongbad

I think he means a program that makes plagiarism legal?

ME##

Quote from: David on March 12, 2009, 06:49:05 AM
I think he means a program that makes plagiarism legal?

Yeah, I think he did.  Isn't there already a programme that college professors use to scan students' papers to make sure they're not plagiarised?

CutLess

Quote from: Emperor LXXXVI on March 12, 2009, 10:36:46 AM
Yeah, I think he did.  Isn't there already a programme that college professors use to scan students' papers to make sure they're not plagiarised?

Well, there's Turn It In, which has a huge database of papers and it automatically checks for plagiarism.  Other than that, I don't think there's anything that specific.

jodokast

Shit I'm a dumbass. LEGAL. Not illegal. Dammit.  madood;

Go Up