May 09, 2024, 05:37:35 PM

1,531,624 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

some movees I saw recently

Started by russell, December 14, 2008, 11:51:07 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

russell

December 14, 2008, 11:51:07 AM Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 12:01:24 PM by russell
On Friday I went and saw The Day The Earth Stood Still, which was a little bit ridiculous and not very good but a decent Keanu-Reeves-is-some-awesome-guy movie. 6.5/10, maybe. I didn't know it was a remake, but that explains the weird giant robot that looks like a Starman from Earthbound. It did have Kathy Bates and Jennifer Connely, although neither were nearly as good as they have been.

Earlier in the week I saw Romance, which is a French film a friend recommended. It's really weird and has some rape and some bondage and a lot of sex, but the final scene is one of the best ever and I'd give it 9/10 because the production was excellent.

Finally, last night I saw Transsiberian, which I was half-expecting to be horrible given First Look Studios's track record, but it was actually one of the better movies I've seen and I dare say right up there with Dark Knight for best of '08. It had a perfect cast (highlighted by Emily Mortimer and Emmanuel Noriega) and some of my favorite filming, lighting, and color grading I've ever seen. Definitely gets 10/10 for cinematography, and I'd say 9.5/10 overall. Perhaps the only entirely respectable thriller I've ever seen. Scored on my Top 60 movies scale, it gets 6th place.

Selkie

Cool, I will have to add Transsiberian to my Netflix list. I guess I will add Romance too.

I saw Magnolia yesterday. I thought it was pretty good but I was kinda expecting a more connected conclusion of all the stories, after hearing all the great things about the ending.
Also the frog thing was kinda cool but at the same time like wtf.

Go Up