May 02, 2024, 10:24:02 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Movies - you've seen recently?

Started by reeper, November 27, 2008, 08:46:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

I saw Life During Wartime and Gone Fishin'

Nyerp

skipped around quest for camelot on youtube, what an awful movie

Samus Aran

Dracula, the original. And no, I don't mean Nosferatu, from 1922 or something like that. I mean the 1931 Dracula, the first film to actually use the real name of the character, starring Bela Lugosi.

Man, Lugosi's stare is just creepy as fuck. Admittedly, when I started it, I was feeling like Dracula was going to be one of those films where I'm just like "this hasn't aged well at all, it must only be famous because of its historical importance," but it turned out to be genuinely good fun. Very creepy, atmospheric stuff. I particularly liked the scene where Van Helsing notices that Drac has no reflection.

Also, my verdict on Army of Darkness is that it's great, but Evil Dead 2 was considerably better. Some of the comedy in AoD was a bit overdone, particularly the stuff inside the windmill. It was like a worse version of the hand scene in ED2. Either way, I love the character that Ash developed into for AoD. So many quotable lines, too. "Gimme some sugar, baby."

don't let's

Just got back from Red. I liked it. Saw somebody get  blown up by a grenade.

Wrench

Samus Aran

Quote from: Wrench on October 15, 2010, 08:55:42 PM
Dawn of the Dead

1st time

the 1978 George Romero film, I hope?

i don't really like the remake

Wrench

Quote from: Asuka on October 15, 2010, 10:00:06 PM

It was the remake.

I lol'd at the fat chick

??????

Quote from: Asuka on October 15, 2010, 10:00:06 PM

i liked the george romero version  giggle;

Samus Aran

Quote from: Analysis Paralysis on October 17, 2010, 04:33:44 AM
i liked the george romero version  giggle;

me too

pretty much all of Romero's Living Dead saga is good. not my favorite movies ever or anything, but none of them are anywhere near bad.

burzumfan420

Wrench

Commander Fuckass

Quote from: Asuka on October 17, 2010, 11:49:42 AM
me too

pretty much all of Romero's Living Dead saga is good. not my favorite movies ever or anything, but none of them are anywhere near bad.
Survival of the Dead was ok  n_u
http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

Commander Fuckass

http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

Samus Aran

Movies I've seen within the past week:

Fargo (1996) - Great film. Watched it on Friday with other Boyagers, of course.

Freaks (1932) - An unexpected treat. I knew nothing about the film, and at first I was a bit unsure what to think of it. I'm not sure why people think of this is a horror film - I mean, yeah, the climactic scene does portray the "freaks" as sort of horror figures, but you can't help but root for them, even if they do go a bit overboard.

Mark of the Vampire (1935) - Poor Bela Lugosi. He only has one line, and it stinks. The major, major twist ending is mostly pretty good, but that last line in the movie (Lugosi's) is just laughable. Overall, it's too derivative of Dracula (but can you blame them?), and the atmosphere is not as good as Dracula's by any means, but it's got a class of its own and I feel it holds up as one of those old Lugosi films everyone needs to see at least once (after Drac of course).

The Mad Magician (1954) - Awwright, Vincent Price. But...I mean, he does a good job as he pretty much always does, but other than watching him act, there's nothing too interesting about this movie. This is one of those early 3D films where suddenly atmosphere wasn't as important anymore. And, I dunno, most of the characters are a bit too thin, including Price's. Decent film.

House of Wax (1953) - I have yet to see the 30s original, but I've heard that this is often considered better. A remake - better? Don't hear that often. Price is much, much better in this than in Mad Magician, and his character is far more interesting. The only problem I have with this film is the pivotal scene of his "mask" breaking - that sure was one hell of a mask to work like a perfect face, and yet it was wax? Yeah I don't think so. Great movie, though.

The Haunting (1963) - Wow, now this is a unique movie. I don't believe I can think of any true "psychological horror" films that come before this one, or at least none that were popular enough to be known. There's some brilliant camera work, a wonderful sense of atmosphere, even some genuinely scary moments (the noises the house makes, those huge bangs, are actually extremely effective). This was a mostly brilliant movie, although I am a little iffy on the huge amount of internal dialogue in Eleanor's head. Plus, I wasn't way too happy with the ending.

North by Northwest (1959) - Possibly Hitchcock's most digestible and streamlined thriller, and also one of his best. I found myself comparing it very often to "The 39 Steps," but I suppose that's to be expected. Cary Grant was great, as always, though I think he was a bit better in "Notorious." One thing that I like more about this film than any other Hitchcock film, though, is the amazing soundtrack.

KonohaShinobi

Go Up