May 01, 2024, 01:50:50 PM

1,531,648 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Movies - you've seen recently?

Started by reeper, November 27, 2008, 08:46:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Hiro

Quote from: Travis on September 03, 2010, 11:39:40 AM
strange wilderness - sucked ass
without a doubt the most retarded movie i've ever seen
[spoiler]i laughed when they shot bigfoot though girl;[/spoiler]

??????

Quote from: steal on September 09, 2010, 05:53:25 PM
I've been watching a lot of foreign horror films lately. The one that's stuck with me most is Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom. It's an Italian film, about all these 4 sick corrupt fascist libertines in the 40s who kidnapped a group of teenage boys and girls and stripped them of all humanity over the course of 4 months by subjecting them to all kinds of physical and sexual torture. The whole movie was incredibly depraved. I can't imagine how the actors and their families felt about the the things they did in that film.
i've found that movie completely lackluster when i've watched it with jmv
jmv just made poop jokes

although, my favorite scene was near the ending when the two ladies popped out and introduced themselves in an uppity manner among the dying

Nyerp

Claquesous

Watched 5cm/s last night, and The Place Promised in Our Early Days today because it's by the same guy. Loved them both, 5cm/s more so.

Also, I was reading on Wikipedia about the guy made these, and it said that some regarded him as "the next Miyazaki." But he was modest about it. Anyway, Studio Ghibli. I watched Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away last summer, and they weren't bad, but I really don't see why those two are praised so much.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Claquesous on September 20, 2010, 09:29:12 AM
Watched 5cm/s last night, and The Place Promised in Our Early Days today because it's by the same guy. Loved them both, 5cm/s more so.

The Place Promised was a little overdone for my taste, at least considering his personal style, but it was still quite good. 5cm/s, on the other hand, is his masterpiece if you ask me. He also has another one I've seen called Voices of a Distant Star, which is also wonderful, but 5cm is still better.

However, none of these films are as good as Spirited Away if you ask me, and no anime film ever is as good as Millennium Actress, a film by Satoshi Kon. Though I'm pretty sure I'm in a very small minority for praising Kon's work over Miyazaki's or Shinkai's.

Socks

The Road. It was endearing. There's a certain warm and quaint charm about it. The acting is acceptable, the script leaves something to be desired and the cinematography is agreeable. So in substance it's very much conventional, for sure, but in texture it is sublime. Overall it was an admirable effort and story worth learning.

It receives a solid two & a half socks. wrench;

Commander Fuckass

Watched BladeRunner today.

I give it 5 Jizz socks out of 5
http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

Samus Aran

Just watched Hitchcock's "Rear Window" and it was fucking amazing. I don't think I've ever seen a film that suspenseful before. The ending had me in such a "oh shit OH SHIT" state that it was like getting a whole new appreciation for film all over again.

So far this is my favorite of his films. Most critics seem to say "39 Steps" is his best, but honestly I don't think so. That was great too, and its ending was particularly awesome as well, but still...I dunno, I really preferred Rear Window.

Next I'll watch more Hitchcock, with "Rebecca," and then, if I can actually find it, "Spellbound."

I'm watching these because I missed my Hitchcock class a few times, so I have to catch up on the films I've missed on my own. On Tuesday, if I actually go to class (which I had better, for once), we'll be watching "To Catch a Thief" there.

Also, to do my paper for the class, I'll be buying "Notorious" soon.

giggle;

Nyerp

ew how can you enjoy a movie when it's tied to school

Samus Aran

Quote from: Nyerp on October 03, 2010, 09:00:18 AM
ew how can you enjoy a movie when it's tied to school

because it's a great movie?

sure it's tied to the class, but hardly. all i have to do is remember it when the midterm exam rolls around. not like that'll be hard.

Nyerp

also how do you get classes where all you do is watch movies i mean what the fuck!!

Samus Aran

Quote from: Nyerp on October 03, 2010, 09:35:23 AM
also how do you get classes where all you do is watch movies i mean what the fuck!!

by having a professor on campus that insists on teaching film courses

Thyme

Samus Aran

Yesterday morning I watched "Rebecca," another Hitchcock film. It was pretty damn good. Not amazing like Rear Window, but still pretty damn good. It's really interesting how Hitchcock subtly builds up this really dramatic tension all around a long-dead woman, to the point where the film's general eeriness almost makes it seem like she's going to come back as a ghost any second. She doesn't, of course, but it really feels like it at times - she has that much of a presence.

Also, I am currently in the middle of watching the Evil Dead trilogy. Watched the first fuck, and just about to watch the second fuck. Can't wait, because I hear the second film is where Ash truly becomes the badass antihero he's renowned for.

Andria

I watched Brick and Mr. Nobody recently.

Both movies were pretty awesome.

Brick was probably one of my favorite movies. I love Joseph Gordon Levitt  giggle;

Go Up