May 04, 2024, 12:01:24 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Movies - you've seen recently?

Started by reeper, November 27, 2008, 08:46:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

ncba93ivyase

Watched Taken in 2nd period today.

Cheesy, don't like it

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Hiro

reeper

Eraserhead - Me and my friend put symbolism on everything and it made the movie, I guess you could say "less painful." It's not a horrible movie, it's just a David Lynch movie. It'll make sense if you watch it, my explanation that is, not the movie.

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: A Hiro. on February 20, 2009, 04:07:06 PM
wat  baddood;
my criminal justice teacher's wife is a movie critic

she gets movies before they're released in theaters, he brings them in for us to watch

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Hiro

Quote from: Pancake Persona on February 21, 2009, 03:04:05 PM
my criminal justice teacher's wife is a movie critic

she gets movies before they're released in theaters, he brings them in for us to watch
hells yeah
My step-dad's friend had a friend who was a movie critic years ago, we borrowed a few videotapes

reeper

First Blood (aka Rambo 1) - Just so you don't get confused this is the oldest Rambo movie, not the 2008 movie. It was quite a bit different than that I had imagined. Rambo, a Vietnam veteran, is hassled by cops (who are fucking assholes by the way) when he runs away from them and gets in a little war of his own, literary. It's my favorite out of the first two movies and the fourth (named Rambo.) I've yet to watch Rambo 3.

First Blood: Part II (aka Rambo 2) - I didn't like it as much as the first because Rambo seemed invincible in this one while the first he was just fighting cops, this one he takes on Russia and Vietnam. The first movie showed how misunderstood he was as a war hero while this one shows how much of a hero he is.

Rambo series:

1982 - First Blood (aka Rambo 1)
1985 - First Blood: Part II (aka Rambo 2)
1988 - Rambo III
2008 - Rambo (aka Rambo 4)

LCK

Just got back from Friday the 13th.

No it was not incredibly amazing.

Yes I found it entertaining.

Hell, it was a slasher movie. There's not much to it.

Premarital sex, drinking, killing.

I did like how they stayed true to some things from the original movies, though. Such as the beginning showing his mother and the councilor, or how he begins with a burlap sack instead of the mask like in the second movie. Just little things like that.
There were some unexpected actions from Jason Voorhees that were a bit of a surprise for me. He actually ran in the movie. Never do I recall Jason Voorhees running. He was a creeper, following behind slowly, who always managed to get ahead.
He also apparently has the ability to shoot a bow with pretty damn good accuracy.

CutLess

February 25, 2009, 04:45:47 PM #262 Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 09:58:02 PM by CutLess
Slumdog Millionaire (or should I say, Slumdog MILLONAER?) - It was great for a romance and still generally good.  I finally watched it after the recommendations of numerous friends (many of which claimed it was the best movie they had seen ever).  While it didn't live up to my expectations, it was still pretty good.

From this moment on, spoilers.

The main things I didn't like were:
[spoiler]
* The appearance of Rama
* The whole atmosphere of the second half of the movie.

With regards to the appearance of Rama, I love the symbolism.  I understand that Rama's harsh tests of righteousness were being compared to Jamal's life.  However, it really threw the movie off because that was the only part of the movie that was downright unrealistic.

The second half of the movie reminded me of the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, in that it was the best with regards to plot, but otherwise, was shitty.  For example, the first half of the movie actually made me feel like I was in India; the second half made me feel like I was in America.  I had to ask myself this during the second half: "Why are Jamal, Salim, and Latika speaking to each other in English?"  The thing is, the movie was supposed to be a representation of Indian life; however, as the story progressed, it got further and further away from that goal.

Another thing I didn't like about the second half was Salim's role.  His general douchebaggery was not that bad for the movie because he served as a great foil to Jamal.  However, his main act of douchebaggery (becoming Javed's right hand man) was the second most unrealistic thing in the movie.  Furthermore, I think that if Latika had done all the work to escape from Javed, the movie, with regards to its romance, would have ended much more strongly.
[/spoiler]

Besides these flaws, the film was good.  On an alphabetical scale, I'd give it a B-.

Geno

I just got back from Taken

Basically it was
INTRO
CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT
PROBLEM
NON STOP ACTION
PROBLEM SOLVED
THE END

Some of the moves were badass but it wasn't that great. It is pretty entertaining though
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

Thyme

Quote from: Geno on February 25, 2009, 09:58:26 PM
INTRO
CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT
PROBLEM
NON STOP ACTION
PROBLEM SOLVED
THE END

The structure of a manly movie. No messing around. baddood;

superclucky

I'm watching Girl Interrupted at the moment.

I like the weird flashbacks with no meaning. It reminds me of that Wristcutter's Love Story movie.
kewns are smelly

LCK

I just watched Revolver.

As every other Guy Ritchie film, I love it.

reeper

February 27, 2009, 12:49:05 AM #267 Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 12:55:32 AM by reefer
Rambo III - I enjoyed it but it's not even close to memorable like the first two. Some scenes almost mirror the earlier movies and feel reused.

Kung Fu Panda - The "fight" scene was good and the story had a little moral to it, decent kids movie. I find it a little shallow and didn't show that much creativeness to it like other movies that are for kids. Coraline for example.

Rushmore - Good movie. Wes Anderson movies all have the same feeling, a very nice feeling of warmth. I can't exactly describe it but I love how his movies all feel like his. He has a very specific style and if you lined all his movies he's directed up, you can tell they're his.

I have waiting for me: Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, Scanners, Halloween (1978), The Devil's Rejects, Stargate, Crash (in the process of watching it now), The Squid and the Whale

superclucky

Quote from: Probably Felt on February 26, 2009, 05:02:14 PM
I'm watching Girl Interrupted at the moment.

I like the weird flashbacks with no meaning. It reminds me of that Wristcutter's Love Story movie.
The movie made me baww several times. ;__;
I LOVED IT.
kewns are smelly

superclucky

I'm going to watch no blade of grass next.
kewns are smelly

Go Up