May 08, 2024, 02:37:09 AM

1,531,622 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Books - check them out

Started by The artist formally known, June 26, 2008, 02:16:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

silvertone

Quote from: Patrick Stickles on May 25, 2012, 11:22:13 PM
but books where i have an idea of what characters look like are marvelous
lol i am the exact opposite, i hate having an imprint of what the chars look like. i like making them look like whatever my Damn Imagination makes them look like

Quote from: Boognish-Redux- on May 26, 2012, 12:35:30 AM
USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST
heh. common philistine.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

on a whim i bought The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi and The Palm-Wine Drunkard/My Life in The Bush of Ghosts by Amos Tuotola

don't let's

Finished The Hunger Games books and thought they were okay but nothing spectacular. Though individually, and collectively, I thought they felt a little bit too short. They could of used a little bit more meat to the story.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Quote from: N o t S i d on May 27, 2012, 01:55:02 AM
on a whim i bought The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi
i just started reading this. came in the mail today. guy was an undefeated samurai back in 1600's japan. supposedly never bathed or combed his hair. was homeless. the book is essentially about "the science of martial arts" as he came to find it, but its not really about martial arts. this is going to be really good.

also there is another "book" included with my purchase that I was unaware of. The Book of Family Traditions on the Art of War by Yagyu Munemori. This guy was a teacher of martial arts to most of the Tokugawa family. He was a celebrated swordsman and, from what I read in the preface, this book is going to be about how to utilize the circumstances you are in to achieve your goal.

Samus Aran

Quote from: N o t S i d on May 30, 2012, 12:16:18 PM
i just started reading this. came in the mail today. guy was an undefeated samurai back in 1600's japan. supposedly never bathed or combed his hair. was homeless. the book is essentially about "the science of martial arts" as he came to find it, but its not really about martial arts. this is going to be really good.

also there is another "book" included with my purchase that I was unaware of. The Book of Family Traditions on the Art of War by Yagyu Munemori. This guy was a teacher of martial arts to most of the Tokugawa family. He was a celebrated swordsman and, from what I read in the preface, this book is going to be about how to utilize the circumstances you are in to achieve your goal.

wow, that's really fascinating stuff

i'm actually really interested in delving into some stuff like this. i did a lot of studying in various areas of the Japanese arts, especially Noh theatre, with regards to its history with a big emphasis on the period of the Tokugawa shogunate's regime...and a lot of folklore as well, but not a whole lot else as far as Japanese literature and history goes.

i should really look into samurai writings like that. befuddlement

silvertone

whoa that rules, i was planning on reading about samurais and shinto throughout the summer, you should " PM " all the good books you read about it.

just1more

Quote from: Patrick Stickles on May 24, 2012, 03:52:35 PM
i am also reading game of thrones

i am more than halfway through and i love how close the tv series stuck to it, but i love more that it's basically like finding out little secrets that can't be included as well

I'm actually on the fourth book in the series, and trust me, it gets better and better the further you get into it. The plot REALLY thickens in the second and third books. You're going to get hooked.

snoorkel

Quote from: yoseph on June 12, 2012, 06:07:08 AM
I'm actually on the fourth book in the series, and trust me, it gets better and better the further you get into it. The plot REALLY thickens in the second and third books. You're going to get hooked.

same except i'm reading the bible

Commander Fuckass

went out and bought A Clash of Kings
http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

silvertone

Chaos: Making a New Science by James Gleick.

changed my life m  a n

silvertone

snoorkel

indiana jones and the transetheric merkabah tetragrammaton of the star system Pleiades

LCK

i just found the satanic bible under our record player

might as well read it

silvertone

LCK

Go Up