May 08, 2024, 12:00:25 PM

1,531,622 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Recently purchased, played & beaten

Started by The artist formally known, November 08, 2007, 01:43:56 AM

previous topic - next topic

Samus Aran

the first boss took me so many tries that he ate up like an hour and a half of my night alone

the demo will likely be over by the time i'm actually willing to play again (tomorrow night after work), but oh well. in playing through the first level i've been able to come to the conclusion that this game is pretty great. it's just...so fucking hard.

questions i had after playing one level: how the fuck do i level my spirit guardian? how the fuck do i use ninjitsu or onmyo magic?

i looked up the latter just now. they're...items. they appear in your item list after you "attune" them. the game never told me that lol 

strongbad

Quote from: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo on September 05, 2016, 10:42:37 PM
Quote from: antmaster5000 on September 05, 2016, 09:29:16 PM
gungeon isn't as fun as i thought it would be :(

dont get me wrong the game is amazing, i just think i have explored the genre too much with isaac + nuclear throne to the point where gungeon doesnt really do anything that interests me. the teleporters are great though. guess i'll go back to trying to get my 15 rune win in DCSS lol
u can get a refund in steam now as long as you've played less than 2 hours or something

total playtime: 3 hours :(

Nyerp

Quote from: Shinobu Oshino on September 05, 2016, 11:30:02 PM
questions i had after playing one level: how the fuck do i level my spirit guardian?

um i think by leveling up your spirit stat? idk????? i know doing that gives you more passive bonuses from them at least

Kalahari Inkantation

..........after probably 25+ attempts i [glow=black,2,300]summoned[/glow] to defeat hino enma 5thgrade;

i have never been so utterly defeated by a souls boss that i felt the need to do that

of course, i'm not usually pressed for time in souls the way i was in this beta and at the very least i know i wouldn't have given in so soon had my time been unlimited, i would have slept through my tears of rage and returned for a second try tomorrow

but the beta ends today lol

oh well, i guess i'll have the opportunity to prove myself (or not) in the full game

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Big Goop on September 05, 2016, 11:16:06 PM
how cool is that second boss though?

I like it a lot

neat design but jesus christ

Quote from: Big Goop on September 05, 2016, 07:41:49 PM
yeah honestly, I found the second boss to be easier than the first

Just, much more managable

she gave me absolute hell

some of her combos are simply inescapable, get hit with paralysis once and you can kiss (literally) your life goodbye

teach me to be cool like you john putindisapproves;

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Big Goop on August 29, 2016, 05:51:23 PM
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE FUCKING KIDDING ME.

I BEAT THE SECOND BOSS IN NIOH BETA AND THE GAME FUCKING CRASHES DURING THE SCENE AFTER! IT DIDNT SAVE THE BOSS IS STILL THERE! FUCK IT!

also this happened to me too

how infuriating

[spoiler]and the sheer humiliation of having to desperately resort to cheating not once, but twice on the same boss awdood;[/spoiler]

Kalahari Inkantation

September 06, 2016, 03:47:28 AM #18981 Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 04:15:21 AM by Tectron
minor comments and concerns:

-am i missing something, or are archers broken

their aim is virtually impeccable, and using melee combat, the only way to defeat them without taking damage is to slowly tiptoe towards them while blocking until you're close enough to land a hit

god help you if there are other enemies nearby because then it's basically impossible to avoid getting shot

-it takes far too much effort to use this game's ladders

partly because it requires two button presses, one of which is a one-second hold, to ascend or descend with haste, and partly because of shoddy programming (stand directly on top of a ladder and the button prompt won't even show up)

such a simple and essential action as climbing a ladder should not take two seconds and pixel-perfect precision to initiate, especially when some ladders have enemies guarding them and a second's delay might get you firebombed off a cliffside

also i feel like in general there are too many clusters of enemies and it's all too easy to find yourself in a situation where you've accidentally aggroed 3-5 enemies at once and you're chased around the area (aggroing even more along the way) until you're overwhelmed (doesn't help that once aggroed they'll pursue you seemingly to the end of the map)

the pebble can alleviate this somewhat, but doesn't always help because (1) if you're new to an area you might not even realize there's a cluster around the corner until it's too late, and (2) the pebble seems to alert any enemy within a three-four foot radius of its target to your presence anyway

i certainly had fun with it but it definitely needs some difficulty/balancing adjustments, some control tweaks and programming polish (thank goodness it'a a beta)

TooB

Quote from: Tectron on September 06, 2016, 03:01:11 AM
Quote from: Big Goop on September 05, 2016, 11:16:06 PM
how cool is that second boss though?

I like it a lot

neat design but jesus christ

Quote from: Big Goop on September 05, 2016, 07:41:49 PM
yeah honestly, I found the second boss to be easier than the first

Just, much more managable

she gave me absolute hell

some of her combos are simply inescapable, get hit with paralysis once and you can kiss (literally) your life goodbye

teach me to be cool like you john putindisapproves;
not cool :(

Idk why, but she was just far more manageable for me to fight.

I just seemed to get the timing of the paralysis move down quickly I guess.

Nyerp

Quote from: Tectron on September 06, 2016, 03:47:28 AM

their aim is virtually impeccable, and using melee combat, the only way to defeat them without taking damage is to slowly tiptoe towards them while blocking until you're close enough to land a hit

god help you if there are other enemies nearby because then it's basically impossible to avoid getting shot

partly because it requires two button presses, one of which is a one-second hold, to ascend or descend with haste, and partly because of shoddy programming (stand directly on top of a ladder and the button prompt won't even show up)

such a simple and essential action as climbing a ladder should not take two seconds and pixel-perfect precision to initiate, especially when some ladders have enemies guarding them and a second's delay might get you firebombed off a cliffside

also i feel like in general there are too many clusters of enemies and it's all too easy to find yourself in a situation where you've accidentally aggroed 3-5 enemies at once and you're chased around the area (aggroing even more along the way) until you're overwhelmed (doesn't help that once aggroed they'll pursue you seemingly to the end of the map)

the pebble can alleviate this somewhat, but doesn't always help because (1) if you're new to an area you might not even realize there's a cluster around the corner until it's too late, and (2) the pebble seems to alert any enemy within a three-four foot radius of its target to your presence anyway

i certainly had fun with it but it definitely needs some difficulty/balancing adjustments, some control tweaks and programming polish (thank goodness it'a a beta)

here's how to deal with archers: shoot them in the head from afar. the game gives you a bow for a reason lol

also if you've aggroed more than 2 enemies at once you probably fucked up

Kalahari Inkantation

last purchased: hyrule warriors

and only because it was $18 at target dittodood;

i'm like three games away from completing my wii u collection lol

TooB

Quote from: Nyerp on September 06, 2016, 04:12:48 PM
Quote from: Tectron on September 06, 2016, 03:47:28 AM

here's how to deal with archers: shoot them in the head from afar. the game gives you a bow for a reason lol

also if you've aggroed more than 2 enemies at once you probably fucked up
look at nyerp, the nioh expert.

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Nyerp on September 06, 2016, 04:12:48 PM

sure that works but ranged weapons are a pain to use because the aiming sensitivity is too high and there's no way to autotarget and your maneuverability while using them is severely limited >_<'

Kalahari Inkantation

did i miss out on any other demo-exclusive goodies by not doing the second challenge area or the twilight missions

TooB

Quote from: Tectron on September 06, 2016, 04:49:29 PM
did i miss out on any other demo-exclusive goodies by not doing the second challenge area or the twilight missions
the two dlc prizes are all you get

TooB

Quote from: Tectron on September 06, 2016, 04:17:03 PM
last purchased: hyrule warriors

and only because it was $18 at target dittodood;

i'm like three games away from completing my wii u collection lol
Tec, srsly, play Hyrule Warriors.
I want to hear your thoughts on it, either good or bad

Go Up