May 07, 2024, 09:37:31 PM

1,531,622 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Recently purchased, played & beaten

Started by The artist formally known, November 08, 2007, 01:43:56 AM

previous topic - next topic

Snowy

Quote from: bluaki on March 14, 2016, 11:22:48 PM
Quote from: Snowy on March 14, 2016, 09:53:24 PM
Got my Pokemon Green 2DS in the mail. wrench; It came with Pokemon Green and a special theme giggle; I downloaded Alpha Sapphire so I'd have something else to play too lol.
Why did you get a Japanese 2DS? Is there some import you want to play? Or just the novelty of having Green Version?

Considering you didn't mention it, I guess this console didn't come with the bonuses that the "limited edition" game box does? There's a Town Map poster, a printed original game manual, and a magnet that looks like the original game cartridge.

I was actually considering buying that same green 2DS like a week ago after seeing it recommended to me by my Amazon.co.jp account, but I decided I'd probably rather get a N3DS. I haven't ordered it yet.

Considering you bought digital Alpha Sapphire, does that mean American credit cards work on the Japanese eShop? What kind of card did you use (Visa/MasterCard/Discover/AmEx)?
A little bit of both, actually. Terry's Wonderland and DQ Theaterhythm won't be coming here any time soon so I'd like to be able to play them. On top of the region locked Pokemon Mystery Gift events.

It was that one actually! I got the special one that has the map, stickers, mew code, etc etc. I didn't get a magnet though I don't think.

I couldn't figure out how to get my CC info onto my nintendo account that I had to make so I went on play-asia and bought a 5000 yen card for $47 and used that. But I know I can use my Discover card for purchases in other countries.

bluaki

March 15, 2016, 10:12:24 AM #18421 Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 10:19:39 AM by bluaki
Quote from: Snowy on March 15, 2016, 08:48:02 AM
It was that one actually! I got the special one that has the map, stickers, mew code, etc etc. I didn't get a magnet though I don't think.

I couldn't figure out how to get my CC info onto my nintendo account that I had to make so I went on play-asia and bought a 5000 yen card for $47 and used that. But I know I can use my Discover card for purchases in other countries.
To clarify: there are boxed retail releases of just these four VC games for ¥1500 each (compared to ¥1100 for just a download code). The boxes look almost just like the original boxes that the GB games came in and include all those bonuses I mentioned alongside a download card for the game itself and a mystery gift card for Mew, but I haven't heard anything about a set of stickers. I know there are also four special 2DS consoles that each come with one of the games preinstalled, but I don't know how many of the bonuses are included with those consoles. Apparently not the magnet?

I think most credit cards are usable internationally, but some (not Discover) incur a foreign currency fee for each transaction. Certain online stores, however, require you to use credit cards with a billing address in Japan. I think PSN is one of them.

bluaki

I did it too
[spoiler][/spoiler]

I ordered the Japanese New 3DS (white with "Colorful Stars" plate) and that limited edition Green box I mentioned. If I can just use my credit cards on the eShop, I'll buy the import games I want to play digitally.

Including shipping fees, it's $170 total for those two.

(meanwhile my backlog of games released on the last two months that I haven't finished yet is already too big)

Snowy

Quote from: bluaki on March 15, 2016, 10:12:24 AM
Quote from: Snowy on March 15, 2016, 08:48:02 AM

To clarify: there are boxed retail releases of just these four VC games for ¥1500 each (compared to ¥1100 for just a download code). The boxes look almost just like the original boxes that the GB games came in and include all those bonuses I mentioned alongside a download card for the game itself and a mystery gift card for Mew, but I haven't heard anything about a set of stickers. I know there are also four special 2DS consoles that each come with one of the games preinstalled, but I don't know how many of the bonuses are included with those consoles. Apparently not the magnet?

I think most credit cards are usable internationally, but some (not Discover) incur a foreign currency fee for each transaction. Certain online stores, however, require you to use credit cards with a billing address in Japan. I think PSN is one of them.
id imagine they wouldn't package the magnet with the system so that it wouldn't damage it. But that sounds really cool. :o Maybe I'll order one for Blue, that sounds really awesome.

Commander Fuckass

Beat the first boss in Salt and Sanctuary after 4 tries

this game is gonna b gud
http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

Hiro

Classic

Classic

bluaki

March 17, 2016, 09:10:49 PM #18429 Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 09:15:26 PM by bluaki
I got this stuff in the mail today:
[spoiler=nyu suri dii esu][/spoiler]

I don't really want to unfold the town map right away but here's a picture I found of it:
[spoiler=I'll probably frame it after I move][/spoiler]

and the hard part of setting this up: picking a second NNID that isn't "bluaki" sillydood;

Snowy

How much was the shipping itself? How long did it all take? Only a few days?

bluaki

Quote from: Snowy on March 17, 2016, 09:53:34 PM
How much was the shipping itself? How long did it all take? Only a few days?
It was two days. I ordered on March 15, it shipped from Osaka (at 23:30 EDT), and delivered to me in Florida on March 17 (at 14:30 EDT). Pretty insane. They didn't even give me an option of any kind of slower or cheaper shipping option. It was delivered by DHL, which is very rarely used by anything else I've seen. I even changed the delivery address last night from my home to my work without a delay.

For my particular order, in USD:
Item total: 170.68
Subtotal at checkout: 158.20 (Japan includes 8% sales tax in their list prices, but apparently Americans don't have to pay Japanese sales tax so Amazon automatically discounts that out)
Shipping: 14.78
Total: 172.98

So basically I paid $2.30 more than a Japanese person with free shipping would have paid for this same order. Even with this one VC game, it actually cost less than buying an American N3DS would by enough of a margin to buy a standard-price retail 3DS game. The console even included a charger.

Of course, the shipping fee is worse if you're not spending as much. Buying just this $12.50 Pokémon game box would cost $7.74 in shipping.

Snowy

damn, that's pretty nuts. I've always wanted one of the black new 3ds.... maybe when I get paid next lol. I literally cannot believe how cheap and fast that was. How was the account creation? Did your american one carry over? Prime?

bluaki

Quote from: Snowy on March 18, 2016, 08:15:05 AM
damn, that's pretty nuts. I've always wanted one of the black new 3ds.... maybe when I get paid next lol. I literally cannot believe how cheap and fast that was. How was the account creation? Did your american one carry over? Prime?
No, Amazon uses a different set of accounts in each distinct site region. Japan does offer a Prime subscription similar to the US one, but I don't think it offers any shipping benefits outside Japan.

This was my fourth order from Amazon Japan. The other three have each been figures: one actually offered International shipping like this one but the others only ship to Japanese addresses so I needed a forwarding service which costs more in shipping fees and requires paying that 8% sales tax. Supposedly, since less than a month ago, almost all video games sold by Amazon (not third party sellers) can ship to US.

bluaki

I bought Pokken yesterday with its controller. Surprisingly, that controller works as a standard USB-HID device, meaning you can simply plug it into a PC to use it without any special drivers. Even PS3 works with it (with correct mappings), but without joysticks of course only a few games are actually playable.

Quote from: Snowy on March 18, 2016, 08:15:05 AM
I've always wanted one of the black new 3ds.... maybe when I get paid next lol
You are aware that 3DS systems are region-locked, right?

I'm somewhat surprised you'd want not just one but two Japanese-region 3DS-family systems. Yes, it's true that for now the black console isn't available in North America, but I wouldn't be too surprised if that changes later this year. There's only been two US N3DS SKUs so far: Animal Crossing and Pokémon.

I almost wanted to buy the black system instead but decided on white because it fits many of the faceplates better and it stands out more among my mostly-black handhelds collection.

by the way, here's Nintendo's official kisekae plate list: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/hardware/accessories/plate.html
My console came with 64. I also have 23.

Go Up