May 08, 2024, 07:30:28 AM

1,531,622 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Recently purchased, played & beaten

Started by The artist formally known, November 08, 2007, 01:43:56 AM

previous topic - next topic

TooB

Snowy

Quote from: ʜɨɍɵ҈҈ on February 26, 2016, 10:21:49 AM
Quote from: Snowy on February 25, 2016, 07:01:02 PM
i have the japanese translated copy also and it's pretty good. i've played the US release more but i will be trying the translated one to see if I can catch any differences. 5thgrade;
why do you have two versions of the gam- oh wait sillydood;
I downloaded it lol

bluaki

but wait hold up the japanese version already has an english translation in it?? Why Nintendo would even make two seperate english versions is beyond me.
The side labeled "Japan" is a fan translation that took the Japanese dialog and simply translated it without changing the meaning, so it more-or-less represents the Japanese script to English-speakers.

Localizations often make some changes to the meaning or structure of conversations, which is sometimes good (especially when jokes are involved)

Why Nintendo would even make two seperate english versions is beyond me.
They do this all the time. Nintendo's localization teams in Europe and North America tend to operate separately and they release a lot of games with very different translations for every line. It's often not just a matter of American vs British English.

Modern Japanese Nintendo games never include English scripts (unless Pokémon XYORAS count)
A lot of classic games use nothing but English even in Japan
They used to include language switches in a few games like Melee, but I don't think that happens anymore for out-of-region languages even for the games with roughly-simultaneous release.

Some other companies do have a separate English script in the Japanese release than in the US one. I know some of the Ace Attorney games do this, although the changes only boil down to fixing a small handful of typos and errors before releasing in the US.

Kalahari Inkantation

started and [glow=black,2,300]savescummed my way through[/glow] the original sanic goodjob;

i am absolute chode at video games lol

meh tbh, i got the 'bad' ending but i'm not sure i care enough to back and rectify that, getting chaos emeralds is a pain

Samus Aran

I've never bothered getting all the emeralds in any old Sonic game

Kalahari Inkantation

TooB

TooB

strongbad

TooB

Quote from: antmaster5000 on February 26, 2016, 11:54:04 PM
Nice the DS port? Always wanted to finish that
yeah the DS port. I'd love to own the NES version though.

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Loto on February 25, 2016, 03:08:58 PM
That's cool. I still don't really care, mainly because the changed stuff is all optional anyway. As far as I can tell, it does nothing to affect the main game. Most nobody is even going to really know about these changes unless they have done as you said they have, and already played the game. And if they have already played the game, this shouldn't bother them as much as it does, because they;ve already experienced it. Let us experience it our own way.

as someone who has no investment whatsoever in fire emblem, this argument doesn't sit well with me

the fact that it might not significantly affect the main game (although it sounds like some of the changes are glaring omissions) doesn't mean it's negligible

i think fans have every right to be upset when content is removed from a game during localization, especially if it isn't replaced with something equally substantial

and when the justification for the removal of content is something as patronizing as 'we arbitrarily deem the american audience too immature to handle it !!', it's adding insult to injury

what exactly makes nintendo of america the arbiter of questionable content in a game rated t that's unaltered for any other audience

Quote from: Loto on February 25, 2016, 03:12:01 PM
and not to go off too much longer on this, it has to be known, that stuff like this HAS to go down in order for the US to get many of these games. The content in some japanese games doesn't sit too well over here, and that's the sad truth.

no other company seems to feel this way except for helicopter parent nintendo

i can't think of a single other recent american localization that suppressed any homosexual content, and again as it's a t-rated game why should its presence be problematic at all

Quote from: Loto on February 25, 2016, 03:38:09 PM
This is just me wishing people could just enjoy games anymore, instead of thinking there's some huge conspiracy at work here.

but they are getting objectively less for their dollar than the japanese audience is

Quote from: Loto on February 25, 2016, 03:38:09 PM
Nobody would even KNOW about these changes if they hadn't either read up on a bunch of stuff prior

keeping up with trailers and previews and other pre-release promo material is what fans of almost any media are naturally inclined to do, of course any fe fan who'd been paying attention would be aware of these features

and if they took an interest in them, which many evidently did, well too bad because puritan mama nintendo has decided it's not appropriate for your virgin eyes

even if it were arguable that nobody would otherwise know these changes, that still doesn't excuse them

also the fact that much of the altered content is optional is just as much an argument against censorship as it is for it -- one could just as easily skip that content if they found it bothersome

that being said i'm personally quite disturbed that fire emblem has been gradually turning into a glorified, overpriced eroge, but nonetheless i can't defend the constant pattern of destructive localizations by a fallaciously overprotective nintendo, it's an insult to and demonstrates a complete lack of respect for their fans and creates controversy where there would otherwise be none

TooB

TooB

I dunno, maybe I was talking mostly outta my ass, but it just inherently annoys me when any game comes out, and there's always SOMETHING wrong, you know? Nobody seems to be able to have just, plain fun with a game anymore.

I don't, and have never defended a company taking things out, or dramatically changing something, but usually when I read about these things, they're blown WAY out of proportion, or at least seem to be to me.

I mean, it's not like they took out entire missions, but yeah, I understand not getting everything, but there are worse things they could've done.

I dunno, it's just how I feel

Kalahari Inkantation

well, i don't think you're out of line for expressing an opinion lol (especially not on boyah where all opinions are equally valid), but i do think it's necessary to at least consider why such changes might be disappointing to fans

TooB

Quote from: Tectron on February 27, 2016, 12:34:17 AM
well, i don't think you're out of line for expressing an opinion lol (especially not on boyah where all opinions are equally valid), but i do think it's necessary to at least consider why such changes might be disappointing to fans
I do, believe me I do.
but I have seen some people say to outright boycott the game.
Doesn't that seem a little bit too much of an overreaction to this?

Go Up