May 08, 2024, 02:16:15 PM

1,531,623 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Recently purchased, played & beaten

Started by The artist formally known, November 08, 2007, 01:43:56 AM

previous topic - next topic

TooB

I really wish people would shut the fuck up about some localization changes. Mostly fire emblem.
Oh no! They took out an instance of lesbianism! That just makes the core game shit now! Everybody! Don't buy this solid rpg that is a lot of fun because you can't see lesbian action!

C.Mongler

TooB

Quote from: C.Mongler on February 25, 2016, 02:11:57 PM
IF I CANT PET MY WAIFUS IT ISNT A REAL GAME  wariodood;
oh yeah, they took that out too. Who cares? You know? That shit is reserved for games like senran kagura, and other games made to BE fanservice.

bluaki

Quote from: Loto on February 25, 2016, 01:25:03 PM
I really wish people would shut the fuck up about some localization changes. Mostly fire emblem.
Oh no! They took out an instance of lesbianism! That just makes the core game shit now! Everybody! Don't buy this solid rpg that is a lot of fun because you can't see lesbian action!
Have you seen any of the complaints other than that one post I reblogged on tumblr? None of the many other complaints I've seen have anything to do with the (extremely limited) homosexual options in the game.

It's not like Harvest Moon where they totally removed homosexuality from the localization. In general, the FE translation reuses some dialog and alters other dialog in ways that reduces characterization, reducing some characters to a single trait and (supposedly) completely changing the personalities of a couple others.

The Rhajat-Corrin dialog is, most likely, a cheap recycling of lines; they avoided translating two completely different chains of conversation by just putting in more generic conversations that work with both male and female Corrin. It just happens that this is one of the more sensitive conversations to a lot of fans (for good reason).

There are a bunch of reasons that people are complaining about this game's localization as much as they are:
  • There's an existing fan translation, which supposedly went for very literal translations, so a lot of English-speaking fans are more familiar with the original text's meaning

• Awakening's popularity combined with slow translation and a history of untranslated FE games means that a fair number of people who understand both languages played the Japanese version first and then later played the new English release, so they're also pretty familiar with the changes

• This is a time of the year without many notable game releases, so there are fewer things to complain about elsewhere. Admittedly, Digimon and Neptunia also have their fair share of localization complaints, but they're not as popular games as FE Fates.

• This game released not long after Fatal Frame and Xenoblade X, both of which had (very minor but widely reported) censorship by NoA

• In a couple parts of the game (but not this one), it's painfully obvious that something's missing even when you're playing only the official English release

That said, I'd say that the worst issue with this localized release isn't even the content inside the game, but rather the way they handled the limited edition. Having all three paths available on one cart should be an easy-to-purchase option, not a super rare item that is unobtainable to most people who want it. Without that limited edition, you really can't even have the whole game as a physical copy, only a part of it.

TooB

That's cool. I still don't really care, mainly because the changed stuff is all optional anyway. As far as I can tell, it does nothing to affect the main game. Most nobody is even going to really know about these changes unless they have done as you said they have, and already played the game. And if they have already played the game, this shouldn't bother them as much as it does, because they;ve already experienced it. Let us experience it our own way.

Besides, this kinda shit is what ruins a lot of things for me. I've unfollowed many people on tumblr because of whiny crap like this. I don't really care if they've played the Japanese version first, or a fan version first.
If they're unhappy with the us changes, then stick with those versions. Don't ruin it for us that just want to enjoy the game.

As for the limited edition thing, it is a b.s. and honestly, the only thing I can agree with.

TooB

And btw, this isn't really about your post, but it is why I've finally decided to voice my opinion on the matter. It's all stuff I've been hearing about leading up to the games release. And frankly, I'm sick of stuff like this

and not to go off too much longer on this, it has to be known, that stuff like this HAS to go down in order for the US to get many of these games. The content in some japanese games doesn't sit too well over here, and that's the sad truth.

Homosexuality, among other things in the games, is a touchy subject in the US, and maybe that'll change at some point, but now, it's not appropriate. It has to be changed to be ok for US, or we would have never gotten it in the first place.

What about the other games in the series? Those games have MANY changes and nobody brings them up. Balance changes, lines of dialogue, character names, character traits, what have you. It's just a thing NEARLY EVERY game goes through when being localized. If people haven't come to accept that now, they'll never accept it, and every game that we are lucky enough to get translated for us, will never be good enough to them.

Hiro

I think Treehouse does do a weird job with their localization often, but I feel like the different scripts for boy/girl s-rank yadda yadda wasn't really necessary to begin with, and that they even kept lesbian relationships in the game shows that it was for a reason other than censorship, whether that be laziness or a decision that the straight and gay relationships shouldn't be treated differently
I do think removing the petting is a bit weird, not that it was a good mechanic but that a gameplay mechanic is being removed kinda sucks
also pissed at the limited edition thing, game should have just been sold physically as one (non-special edition) game for $60 or whatever, and birthright/conquest separately for 20 or 30 dollars
but whatever either way I'll just sit here and enjoy Awakening 5thgrade;

TooB

Quote from: ʜɨɍɵ҈҈ on February 25, 2016, 03:30:47 PM
I think Treehouse does do a weird job with their localization often, but I feel like the different scripts for boy/girl s-rank yadda yadda wasn't really necessary to begin with, and that they even kept lesbian relationships in the game shows that it was for a reason other than censorship, whether that be laziness or a decision that the straight and gay relationships shouldn't be treated differently
I do think removing the petting is a bit weird, not that it was a good mechanic but that a gameplay mechanic is being removed kinda sucks
also pissed at the limited edition thing, game should have just been sold physically as one (non-special edition) game for $60 or whatever, and birthright/conquest separately for 20 or 30 dollars
but whatever either way I'll just sit here and enjoy Awakening 5thgrade;
see, but the petting thing isn't an IMPORTANT gameplay mechanic.
All it does, from what I read, is improve bonds, thus enhancing stats for battle, in other words, stuff you get from the normal relationship conversations anyway.

In order to accommodate that change, it wouldn't be surprising if they boosted conversation stats more to make up for the loss of "petting."

This may sound like I'm defending script changes and other changes, but I'm not really.

This is just me wishing people could just enjoy games anymore, instead of thinking there's some huge conspiracy at work here.

Nobody would even KNOW about these changes if they hadn't either read up on a bunch of stuff prior, or have played the japanese version, which, again, if you're able to play that version, THEN JUST PLAY IT. Dont ruin it for us that can't read japanese, and otherwise wouldn't have known.

TooB

This all being said, I don't claim to have all the facts, and I'm not really going to take the time to research them. This is my thought on what I have read, and what i've heard. For me, none of these changes hurt the most important part of the game, which is, THE GAME. I've been playing it more than a few hours now, and it's very solid. It's more Awakening, with some cool additions.

Don't let stupid minor side content ruin this for you.

strongbad

buying a wii off of bangkok craigslist tomorrow for 3500 baht (~$100). kills me because i could get one in the states for $40 ;-;

but i'll mod it and then be able to practice ssbm. who was i kidding by not bringing my wii abroad with me.

bluaki

Quote from: Loto on February 25, 2016, 03:12:01 PM
Homosexuality, among other things in the games, is a touchy subject in the US, and maybe that'll change at some point, but now, it's not appropriate. It has to be changed to be ok for US
Is homosexuality really that touchy in the US in particular? I think the laws and culture are more favorable toward seeing homosexuality as legitimate relationships here than in Japan.

At this point they'd get more bad press from censoring out homosexuality than any "think of the children!" concerns they'd get from a game already filled with revealing outfits, violence, and death.

Quote from: Loto on February 25, 2016, 03:12:01 PM
or we would have never gotten it in the first place.
They didn't censor out any of the homosexuality in this game and it still released here.

Quote from: Loto on February 25, 2016, 04:02:43 PM
Don't let stupid minor side content ruin this for you.
Supports and other side content are a huge part of Awakening and Fates.
I'd say totally screwing up some of the supports is pretty bad, but not a dealbreaker. If they screwed up all or most of the supports, however, I think that's a huge problem that can seriously impact enjoyment of the game.

I'd still say it's a failure of localization to have fans thinking "I'd rather play the original game if only I could understand it and/or if only my console wasn't region-locked"

Quote from: Loto on February 25, 2016, 03:38:09 PM
Dont ruin it for us that can't read japanese, and otherwise wouldn't have known.
Some of the removals definitely seem off even if you're only playing the official English version with no knowledge of the original. Replacing the petting minigame with something that shows you a detailed and well-animated view of the person's face for only 3 seconds as they say just a couple words makes it painfully obvious there's something missing, even if they did leave in the meaningful gameplay effects of boosting Corrin's supports. As I was first reading my Rhajat supports while playing, I thought it seemed weird that they didn't mention Corrin's gender at all in any of them, but I didn't realize that was because of a translation change.

And then there's this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA6A-ySMHYI[/youtube]

Nyerp

NINTENDO DEFENSE FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORCE

TooB

Snowy

i have the japanese translated copy also and it's pretty good. i've played the US release more but i will be trying the translated one to see if I can catch any differences. 5thgrade;

Hiro

Quote from: Loto on February 25, 2016, 03:38:09 PM
see, but the petting thing isn't an IMPORTANT gameplay mechanic.
All it does, from what I read, is improve bonds, thus enhancing stats for battle, in other words, stuff you get from the normal relationship conversations anyway.

In order to accommodate that change, it wouldn't be surprising if they boosted conversation stats more to make up for the loss of "petting."

This may sound like I'm defending script changes and other changes, but I'm not really.

This is just me wishing people could just enjoy games anymore, instead of thinking there's some huge conspiracy at work here.

Nobody would even KNOW about these changes if they hadn't either read up on a bunch of stuff prior, or have played the japanese version, which, again, if you're able to play that version, THEN JUST PLAY IT. Dont ruin it for us that can't read japanese, and otherwise wouldn't have known.
i'd say any mechanic of the game is part of the experience, just because it's not a critical part for the game to play properly doesn't mean it doesn't suck that they'd remove it.  Also nobody's saying you can't or shouldn't enjoy the game. If the removals don't bug you THEN JUST PLAY IT. Nobody's ruining anything for you, but others feel things have been albeit not ruined, but tainted for them.

Quote from: bluaki on February 25, 2016, 06:07:12 PM
Some of the removals definitely seem off even if you're only playing the official English version with no knowledge of the original. Replacing the petting minigame with something that shows you a detailed and well-animated view of the person's face for only 3 seconds as they say just a couple words makes it painfully obvious there's something missing, even if they did leave in the meaningful gameplay effects of boosting Corrin's supports. As I was first reading my Rhajat supports while playing, I thought it seemed weird that they didn't mention Corrin's gender at all in any of them, but I didn't realize that was because of a translation change.

And then there's this:
[spoiler][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA6A-ySMHYI[/youtube][/spoiler]
that example does seem pretty bad, and yeah the no-petting clips are pretty irritating
but wait hold up the japanese version already has an english translation in it?? Why Nintendo would even make two seperate english versions is beyond me.

Quote from: Snowy on February 25, 2016, 07:01:02 PM
i have the japanese translated copy also and it's pretty good. i've played the US release more but i will be trying the translated one to see if I can catch any differences. 5thgrade;
why do you have two versions of the gam- oh wait sillydood;

Go Up