May 08, 2024, 09:36:54 AM

1,531,622 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Recently purchased, played & beaten

Started by The artist formally known, November 08, 2007, 01:43:56 AM

previous topic - next topic

bluaki

I recently got Puyopuyo Tetris. PS4 version, imported from Japan since it has no localization.

This is essentially my first Puyopuyo game, aside from just a couple minutes I spent trying out Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine in Sonic Mega Collection over a decade ago. The way it combines mechanics from both puzzle games is really weird but also really neat.

I don't know if this is common in the Puyopuyo series, but it seems weird to me that this puzzle game has a story mode. Of course, unsurprisingly, it so far seems like a shallow and silly story (which is totally not in English), but at least it has a series of specific missions to help the player get a hang of the game which rewards you with unlockables. There's also a Lessons mode which, if you can read it, has decent tutorials on how to play the puzzle modes of Puyopuyo, Tetris, Puyotet Mix, and Swap.

I get the impression it's still more than anything designed for the multiplayer (which supports 1-4 players local or online), but so far I've only tried the Solo Dream Arcade and Adventure modes. I'd say it seems like it'd make a great party game, maybe one of the best I've tried, if you can get over the language barrier. Between all the different puzzle modes, characters, voices, music, and skins, there's a really good variety in the puzzle playing compared to what I've come to expect of at least Tetris games.

That said, between the sparse history of Puyopuyo localizations and licensing complications for the Tetris inclusion in a game not made by Ubisoft, I wouldn't expect this game to ever get an English translation.

Samus Aran

so now i have yoshi's woolly world, dragon quest viii, and heavenly sword

Thyme

TooB

Classic

Quote from: Sakura Kinomoto on November 20, 2015, 08:41:12 PM

Have we added each other on Wii U, Kaz?

Samus Aran

Quote from: Classic on November 21, 2015, 01:07:46 PM
Quote from: Sakura Kinomoto on November 20, 2015, 08:41:12 PM