May 05, 2024, 03:45:02 PM

1,531,620 Posts in 46,727 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Recently purchased, played & beaten

Started by reeper, November 08, 2007, 01:43:56 AM

previous topic - next topic

TooB

Quote from: bluaki on July 16, 2015, 02:13:39 AM
Quote from: Jojo on July 14, 2015, 08:50:38 PM
preordered my copy of Steins Gate for my vita.
apparently you can only get it through amazon
I preordered it for PS3

I previously played the PC fan translation like 3-4 years ago. Since it's been a fairly long time, I'd like to replay it with the official translation, legal release. It's a good VN, with a lot more details than the anime, but the anime is also a really good adaptation.

By the way, even by VN standards, it's really light on gameplay. While there is a texting system wherein you can sometimes choose which reply to use, it doesn't actually influence anything iirc. There's only a small few number of actual decisions, which actually cause plot branches.
I chose vita for mainly one reason. since it is a VN, I felt it to be a better fit (to me) on the vita, since I could just lie in bed and play/read it, almost like a book. It just seems better to me than having to sit in front of the tv to essentially just be reading, if that makes sense. Handhelds just seem to be a better fit for VN to me.

strongbad

Quote from: Jojo on July 16, 2015, 09:58:48 AM
Quote from: udderfailure on July 16, 2015, 09:10:51 AM
Quote from: Jojo on July 15, 2015, 10:28:10 PM
Quote from: udderfailure on July 15, 2015, 10:17:48 PM
my little brother and i sat down today and beat river city ransom in 3.5 hours

i've played the game a bunch but never actually gotten through it but i can now say that it is a pretty good game!

a little grindy and i had to use a guide a little but overall we had a great time beatin' people up
dude I love that game. Once you know how to play it, it's a blast

yeah it is honestly a really impressive game, especially for the nes
really solid beat em up with heavy rpg elements, minor platforming, and good coop. and it's open world

ahead of it's time baddood;

it was also the major influence in gameplay aspects for the scott pilgrim game, another game I love

yeah! man i should play that game again. i remember it being fun as fuck
or more beat em ups in general, actually. playing through river city ransom yesterday was probably the most fun i've ever had with one and i know there are some good ones out there

bluaki

Quote from: Jojo on July 16, 2015, 10:01:36 AM
Quote from: bluaki on July 16, 2015, 02:13:39 AM
Quote from: Jojo on July 14, 2015, 08:50:38 PM
preordered my copy of Steins Gate for my vita.
apparently you can only get it through amazon
I preordered it for PS3

I previously played the PC fan translation like 3-4 years ago. Since it's been a fairly long time, I'd like to replay it with the official translation, legal release. It's a good VN, with a lot more details than the anime, but the anime is also a really good adaptation.

By the way, even by VN standards, it's really light on gameplay. While there is a texting system wherein you can sometimes choose which reply to use, it doesn't actually influence anything iirc. There's only a small few number of actual decisions, which actually cause plot branches.
I chose vita for mainly one reason. since it is a VN, I felt it to be a better fit (to me) on the vita, since I could just lie in bed and play/read it, almost like a book. It just seems better to me than having to sit in front of the tv to essentially just be reading, if that makes sense. Handhelds just seem to be a better fit for VN to me.

I think I'd agree with that, but I don't have a normal portable Vita (just PS TV), so I'd always prefer the PS3 version of anything over Vita.

For similar reasoning, I've considered setting up some sort of remote desktop to my tablet so I can play PC VNs from my living room while using the TV for something else

silvertone

posted this in the wrong thread [tex]lmao[/tex]

i beat system shock 2 and half 2: ep 1 this week

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: fuchsmanguste on July 16, 2015, 07:16:37 PM

how did you Feel

silvertone

Quote from: Tectron on July 17, 2015, 11:29:41 PM

how did you Feel
about system shock? It was spooky ,but fun as hell game. I would call it an RPG first and a shooter second because the controls are a little clunky.
But playing through ss2 made me realize how much fun single player story driven games are, i can deff say it is one of my favorites and makes me want to try Boyshock, which is something i never thought i'd say.

You should Play through it.

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: fuchsmanguste on July 18, 2015, 02:07:02 AM
Quote from: Tectron on July 17, 2015, 11:29:41 PM

how did you Feel
about system shock? It was spooky ,but fun as hell game. I would call it an RPG first and a shooter second because the controls are a little clunky.
But playing through ss2 made me realize how much fun single player story driven games are, i can deff say it is one of my favorites and makes me want to try Boyshock, which is something i never thought i'd say.

You should Play through it.

i am very glad to hear this, i had my share of concerns

looking forward to playing it, and i'm sure you won't regret your decision to try boyahshock

Thyme

Thyme

Snowy

bluaki

On Sunday, I got 999 (9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors, a DS adventure+puzzle-solving+visual novel game). It's one of those VNs where you have to play through it multiple times to complete it by any measure or to see the true ending.

I just tonight saw the true ending after finishing my third playthrough. The entire story has a ton of similarities to another VN I played years ago: Ever17. The similarities at first seemed subtle when I first noticed them in my second playthrough, then turned ridiculous by the end of the true ending. So I looked up the staff and, of course, 999's director was the writer for Ever17.

Anyway, it's a great game. I still have two more of the bad endings to see, as well as two doors (of 9) whose puzzles I haven't played yet. I ordered the Vita version of its sequel tonight.

TooB

Quote from: bluaki on July 23, 2015, 12:59:53 AM
On Sunday, I got 999 (9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors, a DS adventure+puzzle-solving+visual novel game). It's one of those VNs where you have to play through it multiple times to complete it by any measure or to see the true ending.

I just tonight saw the true ending after finishing my third playthrough. The entire story has a ton of similarities to another VN I played years ago: Ever17. The similarities at first seemed subtle when I first noticed them in my second playthrough, then turned ridiculous by the end of the true ending. So I looked up the staff and, of course, 999's director was the writer for Ever17.

Anyway, it's a great game. I still have two more of the bad endings to see, as well as two doors (of 9) whose puzzles I haven't played yet. I ordered the Vita version of its sequel tonight.
I'm glad you liked it! and you were right in ordering the vita version of VLR.
Don't know if you looked it up, but the 3ds version has at least one significant bug in it that can wipe your data.

I loved both of those games, and can't wait for number 3!

bluaki

Quote from: Jojo on July 23, 2015, 10:12:53 AM
Don't know if you looked it up, but the 3ds version has at least one significant bug in it that can wipe your data.

I saw some claims that the Vita version also has the bug, but it's not as bad because it has 3 save slots? Even beyond the extra save slots, it might not trigger quite as often on Vita?

The differences I could figure out from online posts are that Vita has better graphics, more save slots, and screenshot support, while 3DS has 3D support, somewhat less cluttered UI because of the second screen, and more convenient note-taking? I think I also heard that one part is somewhat awkward, but still playable, on Vita TV because of the way touchscreen emulation works.

I also pre-ordered Zero Escape 3 (limited edition bundle) from Amazon yesterday

TooB

Quote from: bluaki on July 23, 2015, 10:53:18 AM
Quote from: Jojo on July 23, 2015, 10:12:53 AM

I saw some claims that the Vita version also has the bug, but it's not as bad because it has 3 save slots? Even beyond the extra save slots, it might not trigger quite as often on Vita?

The differences I could figure out from online posts are that Vita has better graphics, more save slots, and screenshot support, while 3DS has 3D support, somewhat less cluttered UI because of the second screen, and more convenient note-taking? I think I also heard that one part is somewhat awkward, but still playable, on Vita TV because of the way touchscreen emulation works.

I also pre-ordered Zero Escape 3 (limited edition bundle) from Amazon yesterday
I suppose the vita version did have the bug, idk. but yeah either way, I just heard about the bug more often on 3ds.

also, I also pre-ordered sillydood;

strongbad

Put around 12 hours into chrono trigger DS while I've been on vacation

I always knew this game was supposed to be good but DAMN probably the best rpg ive ever played. Loving it so far

Go Up