September 20, 2024, 06:27:36 PM

1,531,318 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Recently purchased, played & beaten

Started by The artist formally known, November 08, 2007, 01:43:56 AM

previous topic - next topic

Kalahari Inkantation

will nintendo ever learn to stop investing millions in and basing their strategy around technology that ends up being useless for anything more than proof-of-concept tech demos

ME##

Quote from: Tectron on December 16, 2014, 05:08:54 PM
will nintendo ever learn to stop investing millions in and basing their strategy around technology that ends up being useless for anything more than proof-of-concept tech demos
'no'

The artist formally known

Quote from: Tectron on December 16, 2014, 05:08:54 PM
That happened to everyone this generation. Microsoft shot themselves in the dick early on, at least Nintendo has the software team to pull a whole fucking console.

Nintendo hardly tried to keep the Gamepad relevant with their lineup. Pikmin took advantage of it... but that was it.

Snowy

I'm gonna be buying my own Wii U soon, so I should be able to sm4sh or mario kart with you guys whenever.

Classic

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

bluaki

Quote from: reefer on December 17, 2014, 01:41:29 AM
Nintendo hardly tried to keep the Gamepad relevant with their lineup. Pikmin took advantage of it... but that was it.
* Mario 3D World has a few mandatory-Gamepad stages: touching platforms to make them slide out, blowing into mic to raise fan-platforms, Captain Toad stages
* Both NSMBU and 3D World have optional Gamepad features: touch on enemies to stun them, create platforms, break blocks, search for invisible items
* Captain Toad uses gamepad in the same ways as 3D World, plus there are some minecart levels where you use dual-screen by having first-person view on the gamepad and third-person on the TV, with some hidden items that require looking at both screens to find
* SSBU uses gamepad for the stage builder, letting you actually draw platforms with touch
* Kirby's Rainbow Curse (which isn't out yet) uses touchscreen as its primary input, much like Canvas Curse did
* Mario Maker (also not out yet) uses touchscreen heavily by its nature of being a click-and-drag creator
* Amiibo uses Gamepad because that's where Wii U keeps its NFC
* Some games support online voice chat, which uses the Gamepad's mic and speakers

But these examples are more like exceptions than the norm; in general, the Gamepad feels like an optional device that is primarily useful for Off-TV play. I honestly felt like the mandatory-GamePad inputs for 3D World were more of a nuisance than a feature.

TooB

silvertone

Nyerp

beat puppeteer. great visual design, neat (if limited-feeling) platforming, and absolutely unbearable dialogue that completely destroys any charm the game could have had. 6/10.

bluaki

After Ace Attorney Trilogy 3D released last week, I bought it and have been replaying its games.

It actually does look significantly better than it did on DS. I guess 3DS's screen does technically have almost twice as many pixels as DS. Also, they threw in a 3D effect such that different sprite levels (text box, characters, tables, background) are at different z-levels. And Miiverse screenshot-posting functionality.

After playing in order, I'm right now up to case 3-2 (11th of 14)

Thyme

don't let's

Go Up