May 03, 2024, 11:55:06 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Recently purchased, played & beaten

Started by reeper, November 08, 2007, 01:43:56 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

i guess i finished bioshock infinite

[spoiler]

doodthing;[/spoiler]

Nyerp

PLEASEHELP1991

Just purchased Octodad: Dadliest Catch, Knack, and Tales of Symphonia
I love [you]

Kalahari Inkantation

[spoiler=bioshit spoils, also tl;d(on't)r]

perhaps i'm just imagining things, but i want to attribute some of the faults of the story to the turbulence the game suffered during development, even though i have no way of knowing if that’s actually the case

but particularly, the way in which the different arcs of the plot segue into one another feels extremely harsh, and i felt this way even well before the wtf??? ending

it's as if they decided, at some point during development hell, that in the interest of ever having the game see the light of day they would simply take all the loose parts they had toyed with and scripted independently and quickly stitch them together without taking the time to work out the seams

the fitzroy plot that concludes the first half of the game and the lutece plot that follows almost feel like two completely unrelated stories that they were forced to merge together haphazardly

as if the developers found themselves with two alternate ideas for the story, one closer to the original bioshock and one radically different, and couldn't decide on one or the other (or spend more time eliminating the massive seams) in time for a release without yet another delay

and the pacing and some of the character behavior feels incredibly odd at times too, like it was forced for the purpose of making the different segments of the plot tie into one another

like, why in god’s name would the protagonists ever have thought it a good idea to distort spacetime not once, but twice, for the sake of solving the comparatively negligible problem of the gunsmith being dead, or his tools being in an inconvenient location, in the hopes that only that one minor inconvenience and absolutely nothing else would be changed in the alternate reality and they could just continue on hunky dory after transcending universes

they didn’t pause for a single second to consider the possible implications of their behavior, or why this option might just be slightly absurdly disproportionate considering their predicament, or to consider the limitless number of available conventional solutions to a single gunsmith’s death or having their ship commandeered by the vox populi, instead they immediately resort to the utmost extreme potential solution for a relatively tiny problem without stopping for two seconds to consider why that might just be unnecessarily excessive and maybe somewhat problematic in the future

i mean, i guess i can understand why booker might go along with it since he has no idea what’s going on and is pretty much just along for the ride, but elizabeth is extremely educated and i have an impossibly difficult time believing that she would think that a reasonable solution to the most insignificant of issues

and so that pivotal moment feels like a truly artificial means on behalf of the developers to force the plot to progress

there are some other examples of (elizabeth’s especially) behavior that don’t feel natural or make sense except for the purpose of pushing the story forward, but that’s easily the worst one

on another note, songbird was an absolutely stylish antagonist and i'm extremely disappointed that he didn't play a larger direct role and we never confront him as our adversary firsthand sans the few short cutscenes (i feel like his suddenly becoming an ally was another example of weird, shotgunned pacing)

i don’t even want to go into the ending but it did put a little bit of a damper on the experience for me[/spoiler]

[spoiler=must resist urge to compare this to the last of us]

i find it funny that in addition to their numerous other similarities, both tlou and infinite have the above problem of drastically contorting otherwise natural narrative and character behavior as a means to an end[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

anyway, despite my numerous criticisms i actually really liked the game otherwise, the story dissonance wasn't enough to ruin the experience for me or anything, and though i truly do wish they had taken however long it might have taken to clear up those kinds of inconsistencies i still would say it’s easily one of the better games of the (last) generation and certainly the second best of 2013 imo

gameplay-wise, i had more fun with it than the original, although sometimes i felt like the vigors were less well integrated into the gameplay than the plasmids were in the first game

also, it’s graphically beautiful, h. god

idk i’d say it’s a good 9/10, though before the ending i was leaning in the direction of 9.5
[/spoiler]

Nyerp

infinite is one of the biggest disappointments of last gen imo

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: PLEASEHELP1991 on April 30, 2014, 09:27:12 PMOctodad: Dadliest Catch
how is this

i kind of want to play it because it seems [glow=black,2,300]cute[/glow]
Quote from: Nyerp on April 30, 2014, 11:10:27 PM
infinite is one of the biggest disappointments of last gen imo
if you expected anything from an overhyped FPS, then you have a lot to learn

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Commander Fuckass

Quote from: Tectron on April 30, 2014, 08:27:12 PM

[spoiler]

doodthing;[/spoiler]
time 2 play the story dlcs
http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

Snowy

Quote from: Sif on May 01, 2014, 05:54:24 AM

[spoiler]

doodthing;[/spoiler]
collectivly they're like an hour long lol
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on May 01, 2014, 12:43:01 AM
Quote from: PLEASEHELP1991 on April 30, 2014, 09:27:12 PMOctodad: Dadliest Catch
how is this

i kind of want to play it because it seems [glow=black,2,300]cute[/glow]
I played some at PAX last year and it was really good. Did you play the first one?

Commander Fuckass

Quote from: Gabe on May 01, 2014, 08:48:51 AM
Quote from: Sif on May 01, 2014, 05:54:24 AM
[spoiler]

doodthing;[/spoiler]
collectivly they're like an hour long lol
episode 1 is 90 minutes

Episode 2 is close to 5 hours
http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151