May 05, 2024, 02:09:20 PM

1,531,620 Posts in 46,727 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Recently purchased, played & beaten

Started by reeper, November 08, 2007, 01:43:56 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

TooB

Man, you know a game is great when it generates this much discussion.
I wish more games had ambiguous endings.

Unrelated, picking up dragons crown and xillia tues

Thyme

ME##

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Kaz on August 04, 2013, 05:04:08 PM
[spoiler]also i was genuinely angry at how the fireflies totally dehumanize joel's relationship with ellie. they just call him "that smuggler" and are immediately suspicious of him on no solid ground and they treat ellie less like a person and more just like the cure they think she is...and certainly don't care at all about his relationship to her. they didn't even give them a chance to say goodbye, and what's worse, did not give ellie a chance to actually choose. even if she probably would have, the lack of actual confirmation makes them not only hasty but also pretty goddamn terrible people in a way.

all of this, plus the fact that said scientists, as tec said, could not actually be sure that this was the only way to attain a cure, makes it a little easier to digest what joel did. even if it was completely and utterly selfish.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

lol, it's funny how had ANYONE asked ellie her opinion, whether it be joel or the fireflies, the whole situation would have been much easier for everyone

but ultimately nobody cared about what she might have had to say, she existed for their purposes and their purposes alone (and joel is just as guilty as the fireflies in that regard)

which is part of why my one and only complaint about the story is that the entire ending sequence just feels too conveniently set up, i mean had ellie just been conscious when they arrived at the hospital absolutely everything could have been avoided[/spoiler]

Thyme

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: David on August 04, 2013, 05:10:06 PM
go out and get it tomatoes;

Quote from: Thyme on August 04, 2013, 05:12:56 PM
waiting for spoopy shames season >_<'

it's honestly not even spoopy at all though :(

You wouldn't play the first Uncharted game in honor of spoopy game season, would you? sillydood;

Thyme

Quote from: #rektron on August 04, 2013, 05:14:36 PM
it's honestly not even spoopy at all though :(

You wouldn't play the first Uncharted game in honor of spoopy game season, would you? sillydood;

no of course not, i would never play it at all confuseddood;

and some of the games i have in mind are just vaguely horror-themed n_u

Samus Aran

[spoiler]also, the lie that joel gives to ellie was interesting to me because it sounded exactly like the kind of dumb lie you'd tell to reassure a crying kid. like, it's obvious she didn't really believe him at all, considering how down-to-earth she is and how much she's aged mentally, but he was completely treating her as his daughter by that point, and that's kinda heartbreaking too. he even started calling her "baby girl" sometimes near the end, and pretty much constantly at the very end while escaping from the fireflies facility.

even at the very end, when she says "ok" after joel lies again and says he told ellie the whole truth about the fireflies, i got the impression she still didn't believe him. i have to wonder what it will be like for her to grow into an adult that always doubts that joel's actions were really the best for her or humanity.[/spoiler]

Kalahari Inkantation

August 04, 2013, 05:30:04 PM #11543 Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 05:34:58 PM by #rektron
[spoiler]

it's heavily implied that she most definitely doesn't believe him lol, she at least suspects that his version of the events isn't nearly the whole truth

and joel himself almost certainly knows that she knows that he's bsing

but i feel like the lie wasn't necessarily for her so much as it was for him, it was a not-so-subtle plea to her to completely forget about everything that might have transpired at the hospital and just leave that burden on joel's shoulders, it was his decision and it's his decision to bear and she shouldn't ever have to question or feel guilty about it or worry about what might have been because she had no say in the matter

he just wants to pry the guilt away from her and let it rest entirely with him

unfortunately for both of them, she's not the type of person to just accept that
[/spoiler]

Kalahari Inkantation

August 04, 2013, 05:38:23 PM #11544 Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 06:24:09 PM by #rektron
Quote from: Kaz on August 04, 2013, 04:53:01 PM
[spoiler]the winter part is still strikingly emotional to me cry;

like even the beginning of it, where you play as ellie and hunt, was really special and i think it really drove home her growth as a character and her attachment to joel. but then shit goes down, and when you wake up as joel and just start absolutely murdering anyone who gets in your way and he screams and yells and is absolutely desperate to find ellie it's clear by that point that he will literally do anything to keep her and that she's effectively replaced his late daughter. and then the end of the winter scene, the cutscene where ellie kills david, was heart-wrenching.

cry;[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

i love how full of touching little moments the winter part is

one of my favorite scenes is just after ellie administers the antibiotics and she rests her arm on his blanketed shoulder while he's shivering out of pain and cold and delirium and they're trying to sleep, oh my gawd giggle;[/spoiler]

Nyerp

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: Kaz on August 04, 2013, 05:04:08 PM
[spoiler]also i was genuinely angry at how the fireflies totally dehumanize joel's relationship with ellie. they just call him "that smuggler" and are immediately suspicious of him on no solid ground and they treat ellie less like a person and more just like the cure they think she is...and certainly don't care at all about his relationship to her. they didn't even give them a chance to say goodbye, and what's worse, did not give ellie a chance to actually choose. even if she probably would have, the lack of actual confirmation makes them not only hasty but also pretty goddamn terrible people in a way.

all of this, plus the fact that said scientists, as tec said, could not actually be sure that this was the only way to attain a cure, makes it a little easier to digest what joel did. even if it was completely and utterly selfish.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I don't know, I think that's the complete, resonating theme. There is no universal right anywhere, ever. The whole distinction between the good and bad guys is nothing at all anymore. Kind of like that crummy Cormac Mcarcthy Book. You live by a principle in theory, but when it comes to practice, it means fuck-all.

The title isn't about the extinction of humans, but the extinction of humanity.[/spoiler]

TooB

Quote from: Boogus Epirus Aurelius on August 04, 2013, 09:54:59 PM
[spoiler]I don't know, I think that's the complete, resonating theme. There is no universal right anywhere, ever. The whole distinction between the good and bad guys is nothing at all anymore. Kind of like that crummy Cormac Mcarcthy Book. You live by a principle in theory, but when it comes to practice, it means fuck-all.

The title isn't about the extinction of humans, but the extinction of humanity.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]yeah thats the theme i picked up. You could actually argue that this is a game where you play as the villain depending on your outlook.[/spoiler]

PLEASEHELP1991

Quote from: Fuck on August 04, 2013, 09:39:53 PM
guess i'm finally gonna play birth by sleep awdood;
it actually has some of the best gameplay of the entire kingdom hearts series
...which isn't saying much
I love [you]

Samus Aran

Quote from: Chesty LaRue on August 05, 2013, 10:59:25 AM
[spoiler]yeah thats the theme i picked up. You could actually argue that this is a game where you play as the villain depending on your outlook.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]more like you play as a man with his own ideals which unfortunately conflict with the ideals of everyone else he comes across. no villains, no good or evil.

even david was not inherently evil - he had a group to take care of. he hid the women and children of his group when ellie escaped, and joel of course killed a lot of his scouts. everyone's just sort of fighting for themselves here.[/spoiler]

Go Up