May 08, 2024, 12:53:19 AM

1,531,622 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Recently purchased, played & beaten

Started by The artist formally known, November 08, 2007, 01:43:56 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Wrench

ME##

Hnnng, I'm counting down the days until Ico and Shadow of the Colossus ends up in my mailbox cry;
Quote from: CM Wrench on September 12, 2011, 05:12:18 AM
Beat Uncharted 2

WHY MUST I WAIT FOR 3

YES, YES, I'M SO PROUD AWESOME

Samus Aran

i just played what was apparently only the trial version of Perfect Cherry Blossom, the seventh Touhou game

by how many points does this raise my weeaboo level?

Commander Fuckass

Quote from: Hakase on September 13, 2011, 01:41:55 AM
i just played what was apparently only the trial version of Perfect Cherry Blossom, the seventh Touhou game

by how many points does this raise my weeaboo level?
90 points since I have no idea what that is
http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

Samus Aran

Quote from: Kanbaru on September 13, 2011, 06:50:46 AM
90 points since I have no idea what that is

the touhou games (the official ones anyway, barring a few exceptions) are bullet hell shooters featuring cute female characters. they're extremely popular because they're largely freeware games but pretty goddamn good for freeware, with catchy music and high difficulty and a major fandom surrounding the characters.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd5rdyhJYuc[/youtube]

Commander Fuckass

Quote from: Hakase on September 13, 2011, 06:57:23 AM
the touhou games (the official ones anyway, barring a few exceptions) are bullet hell shooters featuring cute female characters. they're extremely popular because they're largely freeware games but pretty goddamn good for freeware, with catchy music and high difficulty and a major fandom surrounding the characters.

Is death smiles one because I played one level of that and rage quit

Samus Aran

Quote from: Kanbaru on September 13, 2011, 07:00:13 AM
Is death smiles one because I played one level of that and rage quit

Touhou is its own series. Deathsmiles is another series, not freeware at all. And Deathsmiles is different in that it's a horizontally scrolling shooter rather than vertical, and it's not quite as much "bullet hell." I think Deathsmiles is just about as hard as Touhou though anyway, because of the large hitbox your character has.

Deathsmiles is more similar to Gradius or R-TYPE or something like that than it is to Touhou in gameplay, but obviously it's got cute little characters so that's one major similarity.

Samus Aran

So Radiant Silvergun came out on XBLA today. It's kind of a big deal for anyone interested in shmups, as it was never released in the US and it fetches notoriously high prices as a Sega Saturn import. We're talking $150 or more. Usually more.

I played it for a while, and it kicks ass. Granted, it doesn't totally blow me away like Ikaruga (another shmup, also by Treasure, released later on the Dreamcast) does, but Radiant Silvergun is still one of the most unique and interesting shmups I've ever played. This uniqueness largely comes from the fact that you have seven different weapons to utilize. Certain weapons work best on certain enemies, and they'll come out your ship at different angles or have homing features or whatever. Mastery of this game will require a lot of memorization, as you'll need to switch weapons in a split second at times. One weapon is the Radiant Sword, which is as much a shield as it is a weapon. You can erase certain types of enemy shots with it, and it's good to quickly destroy an enemy up close with...and when you erase enough shots with it, it powers up into a gigantic version of the Radiant Sword that will one-hit-kill most enemies it hits, and covers a great deal of the screen.

It's quite spiffy looking, though not marginally better by any means than other Saturn shmups in terms of graphics...but the interesting Ikaruga level design is present here, and like in Ikaruga, enemies are as interesting to look at as they are to blow up, with bosses having tons of mobility and personality. You know, for space ships at least.

I think the only major criticism I have for the game is that the character design during story mode is...bad. The anime cutscenes and such in general are fine, though. But those are some extremely dated looking characters. But as you can imagine, it has very, very little bearing on the actual game. The story might as well not even be there, in the end. Which it isn't, if you want to simply play arcade mode instead.

One thing that is cool about story mode, though, is the narration being done WHILE you're playing. Like you'll start the first level in the game, and there will be narration for like half a minute while you're already blowing shit up. Pretty cool.

Thank god for this XBLA release or I would have never played this game. Great, great stuff. Ikaruga is still a lot better though.

Commander Fuckass

Nyerp

Cookie

Samus Aran

Quote from: Sakamoto on September 14, 2011, 12:12:03 PM
it's like i'm really reading a post by lawlz

hey, the guy's got good taste in shmups, what can i say

Commander Fuckass

strongbad

Quote from: Kanbaru on September 15, 2011, 07:14:14 PM