May 05, 2024, 02:37:22 PM

1,531,620 Posts in 46,727 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Suggest items that will never be restocked

Started by Feynman, May 06, 2007, 03:30:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Thyme

Daddy

I'd say an active member disappears twice as often as a new active member emerges. Over time this will result in one thing...

I try to be as active as possible but it's kind of hard with 2 jobs, summer classes, and my womin >:[

I can't force the other people to stop disappearing. New members can help keep Boyah running plus we all get new biffles

strongbad

June 21, 2011, 01:01:37 AM #2882 Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 01:06:42 AM by MF Doom
I am all for trying to get new members. The only problem is that Boyah doesn't really have any draw. The only reason we're all here is because we're all (to an extent) friends who enjoy reading eachother's posts. It's hard to market a forum with "there is nothing the site has to offer besides an awesome (very established) community."
For one, people usually join a forum so they can discuss a common interest, seek help, etc. It's rare just to advertise socializing. And when it is to socialize, they usually do that over a medium that they are interested in, something that Boyah is lacking in.
For some reason or another, I've stuck with Boyah for a long time, and I have no intent on leaving. I believe that once we get people to start posting, they will either see the appeal of the community that we have to offer or they won't, just like any other forum out there.

So yeah I honestly don't believe that Boyah can ever achieve an influx of new members without a good draw. Back in the days of Nsider, Boyah (or whatever it was called at the time), and more notabely Outsider, had the draw of being a more enjoyable version of Nsider. This was achievable because Nsider's rules were fucked, and people were open to joining communities that branched off of it (hell, even I created a forum back in '06 that was able to rack up about 30,000 posts during it's short existence). Now that Nsider is gone, people have no reason to join Boyah over Nsider2, because it was a bigger draw for the Nsider community (Nsider without most of the bullshit).

So yeah, Boyah needs something that can be used to attract new members besides the fact that it's a forum, since there are already a fuck-ton of forums out there for every niche and interest that could be imagined.

I don't have any suggestions for what Boyah could do to attract new members, I just started typing and couldn't stop.

Hiro

David brings up an excellent point.

Daddy

Clearly the solution is to conduct false flag operations at NSider2 where we get users to cause problems so they start being extremely strict with the rules and people begin looking for other forums and suddenly Boyah is here.

i may or may not be serious.

strongbad

Quote from: Khadafi on June 21, 2011, 07:26:14 AM
Clearly the solution is to conduct false flag operations at NSider2 where we get users to cause problems so they start being extremely strict with the rules and people begin looking for other forums and suddenly Boyah is here.

i may or may not be serious.

The problem is that Nsider 2 seems to have a vendetta against Boyah already for some reason.
Maybe it's because of shit like this

Hiro

Quote from: MF Doom on June 21, 2011, 08:58:34 AM
The problem is that Nsider 2 seems to have a vendetta against Boyah already for some reason.
I wouldn't think NSider2 would even be aware of boyah at this point  O_0

Daddy

Quote from: MF Doom on June 21, 2011, 08:58:34 AM
Uh I'm pretty sure that has to do with the whole thing of NSider2's history

It was launched as a much smaller forum when Lawlz was still admin and NSider had just died.  We rushed to all of the new forums to try to merge them into Boyah (which wasn't entirely out of dickishness, a large number of those forums died so we were trying to catch them and keep those communities running as Boyah)

Lawlz was in talks with the admin of the original NSider2 to merge it into Boyah and it was going well into EJRaven showed up and bought it out or whatever.  So there is a bit of bad history right there since NSider2 was pretty much ready to merge into Boyah before that asswipe stole it from us.

During this period I was busy on the original NSF starting a revolt because the admin there fucking sucked.  Snorkel and I ended up running NSF (before I got demoted for lol reasons and Snorkel sold it rofl).  The fact that two of Boyah's admins were admins of NSider2's "competitor forum" which itself conducted raids on NSider2 after EJRaven bought the domain from Snorkel and EJRaven did exactly what he said he wouldn't do and attempted to merge NSF into NSider2.

There are a few minute details involving the history of NSider2, NSF, Boyah, and its admins the problem that NS2 has with us. It isn't related to my awesome plan.

tl;dr NSider2 should belong to Boyah. Bring us the NShit2.

Hiro

Oh yeah I remember a few of those things  O_0
So what kind of "awesome plan" is this, jim?  baddood;

Daddy

we will take any idiots we can get :[

we will turn them into upstanding boyahs

Hiro

Quote from: Khadafi on June 21, 2011, 02:44:24 PM
we will take any idiots we can get :[

we will turn them into upstanding boyahs

wait is that really it? i thought you were working on something cool for boyay baddood;

Daddy

Oh

I am.

Basically SMF2.0 came out which has a WYSIYG editor option for posts, runs a bit faster, has better admin features and some built in features that weren't there before.

I'm in the process of porting mods over that aren't available for SMF2.0 or aren't default features. I have 9 left which are the ones I posted in that thread asking who would care if those features were missing since they don't have any replacements for SMF2.0 and they are extremely difficult to port. I will try to get them working though.

We'd also need complete theme rewrites so idk when Boyah running SMF2.0 would be ready.

strongbad

Quote from: Khadafi on June 21, 2011, 02:31:44 PM
Uh I'm pretty sure that has to do with the whole thing of NSider2's history

It was launched as a much smaller forum when Lawlz was still admin and NSider had just died.  We rushed to all of the new forums to try to merge them into Boyah (which wasn't entirely out of dickishness, a large number of those forums died so we were trying to catch them and keep those communities running as Boyah)

Lawlz was in talks with the admin of the original NSider2 to merge it into Boyah and it was going well into EJRaven showed up and bought it out or whatever.  So there is a bit of bad history right there since NSider2 was pretty much ready to merge into Boyah before that asswipe stole it from us.

During this period I was busy on the original NSF starting a revolt because the admin there fucking sucked.  Snorkel and I ended up running NSF (before I got demoted for lol reasons and Snorkel sold it rofl).  The fact that two of Boyah's admins were admins of NSider2's "competitor forum" which itself conducted raids on NSider2 after EJRaven bought the domain from Snorkel and EJRaven did exactly what he said he wouldn't do and attempted to merge NSF into NSider2.

There are a few minute details involving the history of NSider2, NSF, Boyah, and its admins the problem that NS2 has with us. It isn't related to my awesome plan.

tl;dr NSider2 should belong to Boyah. Bring us the NShit2.

Oh wow I didn't know about a lot of that. I forgot about the rest though, it's kind of funny though.
Honestly, Boyah has a pretty interesting history. If somebody ever wanted to put work into a detailed description of it all, I would gladly donate. It could make for a great addition to an "About Us" page on Boyah 2.0.

musica.cards

Quote from: MF Doom on June 21, 2011, 02:59:26 PM
Oh wow I didn't know about a lot of that. I forgot about the rest though, it's kind of funny though.
Honestly, Boyah has a pretty interesting history. If somebody ever wanted to put work into a detailed description of it all, I would gladly donate. It could make for a great addition to an "About Us" page on Boyah 2.0.

That's the kind of information that should go into the wiki (or if not, then the button in the navigation bar button for it should be removed awdood;).
[move]gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby [/move]

Daddy

Go Up