May 03, 2024, 05:39:09 PM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Slavery Reparations

Started by reeper, July 29, 2007, 12:45:47 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

reeper

Does you think that we should give money to the decendents of slaves to help them get onto their feet and help them get a head start

ncba93ivyase

I'd rather help out people I personally know; not someone I've never met that's suffering the damage of their great-great-great-great-great-grandmother's enslavement.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

guff

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

guff

Andrew1911

Give them the money they deserve for their ancestry's unpaid, back breaking hard work.

Daddy

July 29, 2007, 09:48:13 AM #6 Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 01:22:24 PM by JMV290
Only for ones who can prove that they're descendants of slaves. Also only the descendants of actual slave owners should have to pay. Not some one whose family didn't even live here until the 20th century.

Finally, reparations should be based on the actual slaves and their work: a sum would be calculated and be evenly distributed to it's family.  A larger family would get less per person.  Finally, mixed races would also get less since not all their ancestors were slaves.

Flameow

I think it's kind of ridiculous to pay them money.  Nobody is responsible for some random person's actions.  Forget the fact that they're related, otherwise it's the same as saying "Hey, your cousin did something terrible, so now you have to pay me money."  Why should someone living in the modern age take the blame for something that they had absolutely NOTHING to do with?  The simple excuse of "well...they're related" has no justification whatsoever.  By that logic, I'd be responsible for my little cousins' actions, who live across the country.  Actually, that analogy doesn't work quite as well, because I'd have to say that I've never met my cousins, don't even know their names, who they were, nor seen them before.  And not to mention that our lives are separated by over 100 years.  It makes it even more obscure of a claim.

I'm saying this as someone who does not have ancestors who were slaves, nor slaveowners. 

Since I'm part Asian, let me put this in perspective for everyone here...it's as if I started saying "Hey, since my ancestors were worked to death building the railroads in America, I demand money from the white railroad workers."
Even I find that insane.  Yes, something terrible happened in the past, but that was THEN.  We didn't start slavery.  And you can't punish the dead people who started it.  But picking on the people who are alive today is wrong.

guff

Quote from: Flameow on July 29, 2007, 01:26:42 PM
Why should someone living in the modern age take the blame for something that they had absolutely NOTHING to do with?
Why should someone be forced to live in poverty for the exact same reason?

Quote from: Flameow on July 29, 2007, 01:26:42 PM
But picking on the people who are alive today is wrong.
so how about we redistribute all wealth so no one thinks we're picking on the poor

Andrew1911

Quote from: WrenchNinja on July 29, 2007, 08:17:30 AM
They should be given some money, but not a huge amount. Not to be racist, but just imagine what black people would do with all that money. They might buy tons of drugs and weapons. Or they will all get along since they became fortunate.
It's really a huge gamble.

Just cause you say not to be racist doesn't let you say racist things.

YPrrrr

I think affirmative action has done that somewhat indirectly...

FAMY2

Quote from: Commodore Guff on July 29, 2007, 04:18:24 PM

How are they being forced to live that way? Today I mean.  Those living in poverty have at one time had a helping hand from the government. Everyone who has had help could of took the opportunity to help themselves. If they so desired. Just a point of discussion, not necessarily what I believe.

Flameow

Quote from: Commodore Guff on July 29, 2007, 04:18:24 PM
so how about we redistribute all wealth so no one thinks we're picking on the poor

There are social services, and programs that help out those in poverty.  People do have the chance to turn their lives around.  If they are blaming their current state of living on their ancestors being enslaved, then they really need to re-examine their lives.  It's no use blaming their problems on something so distant, they clearly have to do something other than point toward the past as the root of their misfortune.  There are people who came to this country as poor immigrants, like the Irish, and look where they are now.  They're welcomed and well-to-do members of society and have worked to have better lives.

guff

July 30, 2007, 12:28:36 PM #13 Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 12:35:25 PM by Commodore Guff
Quote from: Clair on July 30, 2007, 05:11:31 AM
How are they being forced to live that way? Today I mean.  Those living in poverty have at one time had a helping hand from the government. Everyone who has had help could of took the opportunity to help themselves. If they so desired.
"Hello, Mr. Welfare.  Here is a small amount of money which still keeps you well below the poverty line.  Maybe if you went to a better school (label START: there aren't any around here, you'll need to move [also get the money to move {you need to go to a better school to get the money GOTO START}]) you wouldn't be in this situation.  Granted, the town you never made a conscious decision to live in is stricken with epidemic levels of crime and violence, but maybe if you just had some more self-restraint (which rich folks don't need), you'd be out of this mess. :|"

Quote from: Flameow on July 30, 2007, 12:01:19 PM
There are social services, and programs that help out those in poverty.
yes and amazingly most still stay in poverty
People do have the chance to turn their lives around.
So, because a few of them, if they bust their balls for years on end, can get out of poverty, it's okay that the rest of them stay?
Sure, they could "try harder," but it doesn't seem all that fair when those in the middle class and above hardly need to at all.
It's no use blaming their problems on something so distant...
Even if it's clear that they are the cause? psyduck;
There are people who came to this country as poor immigrants, like the Irish, and look where they are now.  They're welcomed and well-to-do members of society and have worked to have better lives.
SPOILER ALERT: Irish people are white.

ncba93ivyase

Go Up