September 28, 2024, 10:28:19 PM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

How many grandparents do you still have

Started by YPrrrr, April 24, 2017, 02:19:33 PM

previous topic - next topic

Asdf

2 (18.2%)
1 (9.1%)
3 (27.3%)
3 (27.3%)
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Go Down

YPrrrr

Somehow all of mine are still going and seem to be in fairly stable health

I feel like everyone in my family is going to die at once and that will suck... I'm also realizing my dad is nearly 60 and even though he's in fine health he could conceivably just keel over one day due to sudden complications

don't let's

strongbad

Four are alive, but one is a step grandmother, and I had lost my grandpa on my dad's side. Maybe two of them are in good health but the other two (mom's mom and dad's mom) seem to be losing their health which is really sad to watch. I'm not super close to them and to be completely honest i don't feel a strong desire to be close to them besides my own guilt of being a good grandchild. i should probably call them more.

rdl

my dad will likely be dead before i have kids, which is a weird thought

2. not really close with any of them, but yeah, i try to say hi to my grandma because she's pretty lonely and her kids are just like lol heres an iphone. ypr had a yung dad, my dad's going to be 65 this year, which sounds reasonable to me. maybe not.

im of the firm opinion that kids should take care of their parents. pushing it on to the grandkids is lame as hell. so i dont take it as my business.

YPrrrr

Quote from: ADX on April 24, 2017, 04:58:31 PM

2. not really close with any of them, but yeah, i try to say hi to my grandma because she's pretty lonely and her kids are just like lol heres an iphone. ypr had a yung dad, my dad's going to be 65 this year, which sounds reasonable to me. maybe not.

im of the firm opinion that kids should take care of their parents. pushing it on to the grandkids is lame as hell. so i dont take it as my business.
I don't think my dad was young he was 30 when he had me average age is like 25-26

rdl

um i dont think average dad age is 25, not within the last like 80 years

guess im fucking up then

Travis

3, but soon to be 2 probably :( my mom's mom is battling alzheimers and her father died a few years back. my dad's parents are in pretty good shape

Travis

Quote from: YPargh on April 24, 2017, 05:11:30 PM

I don't think my dad was young he was 30 when he had me average age is like 25-26
no way the average age of parenthood is that low lol that's barely past college age

Travis

anyway fun fact my grandpa on my dad's side was my age (23) when my dad was born lol, oh and my dad has an older sister  akudood; akudood; akudood; akudood;

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

I have three. My mom's mom and step dad and then my dad's dad are still alive. My mom's dad passed last christmas. Mom's Mom and Step dad are pretty active. They both hold part time jobs staying with older/worse off people. They both used to run a disaster relief warehouse and they sent a bunch of food and furniture to people who got fucked up during Katrina/other hurricanes. They've since sold off the warehouse and now they're just active in the community, going to bbqs and revivals and the like.

I haven't seen my dad's dad in twenty years. He's bald and fat and I remembered he used to wiggle his dentures at me during dinner.  He stopped in Asheville last week to see my dad and my sister (both of which haven't seen him in a long ass time). My sister told me that he's hobbling along with a walker but still drives like a mad man. They went to lunch at the Cracker Barrel and my dad's dad showed them some pictures in his wallet of his old dog Bo (who passed away twenty years ago) and his new girlfriend (who is twenty years younger than him). He then complained about "all the lazy jigs ruining (my hometown)", and then said that the Cracker Barrel waitress was "uglier than hell". 

wawi

Mando Pandango

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Hiro

never met my dad's dad, dad's mom passed I think in 2011
still have both my mom's parents though
my mom's dad's mom (my ggma) passed just last month actually   :(

Mando Pandango

Sorry to hear that, hiro. My mama's mama's mama died when I was 12. Crazy that some of us get to grow old enough to actually know our great-grandparents though. It's something to be grateful for.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

YPrrrr

April 25, 2017, 12:19:28 AM #14 Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 12:33:53 AM by YPargh
Quote from: ADX on April 24, 2017, 05:25:34 PM
um i dont think average dad age is 25, not within the last like 80 years

guess im fucking up then
Quote from: Travis on April 24, 2017, 06:26:31 PM
Quote from: YPargh on April 24, 2017, 05:11:30 PM

no way the average age of parenthood is that low lol that's barely past college age
http://www.menshealth.com/health/age-and-risks-of-fathering-a-child

Center for disease control and prevention says average age for a first time father was just over 25 in 2016 from a survey of men from age 15 to 44

I don't think you guys are factoring in those without degrees and in lower income areas. 30+ for your first kid is becoming normalized but historically, even going back a decade, it's old lol. Even looking at just 2016 first time dads of any age the average is 28.

26 is pretty far from college aged I mean that's another 4 years that's how long college is in total

Go Up