June 17, 2024, 03:04:00 AM

1,531,266 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Undertale

Started by Mando Pandango, November 15, 2015, 11:27:13 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Mando Pandango

November 15, 2015, 11:27:13 AM Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 11:31:18 AM by Sir Popsicle the Sesquipedalian
I know a lot of people expressed interest when I said I bought it so I just thought I'd let everyone knowI'd totally recommend it. There's a LOT of hype for it, so to say it lived up to it would be an enormous task, and I'm not sure I could say that much, but it's a really great game.

"WAAAAAH TURN BASED RPGS"

I'm not too huge on them either, but the combat system is way more engaging than "point and click an attack," since it's based on shmup and ocasionally platforming elements. I'm surprised how much fun I had going out of my way to not kill anything.

Anyway I'd give it like an 8/10 go buy it.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

C.Mongler

i think imma try it once im done with fallout, especially if it gets a 25% off in the steam sale or somethin. looks cook

Hiro

i want it, but no money lol

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: ʜɨɍɵ҈҈ on November 15, 2015, 04:04:47 PM
i want it, but no money lol

same, can't afford to blow my life savings on this

once it's <$5 on steam i'll pick it up

Snowy

I played it about a month ago I think and I honestly really enjoyed it. I had a really fun time with it and the music was pretty great too. 8/10 for sure.

Mando Pandango

oh my god this game

[spoiler=actual spoils]So I got the true pacifist ending my first run, and I was pretty proud of it. So just now I open up the game thinking I'll do a genocide run. It'll break my heart but it'll be really interesting seeing how the story plays out.

And I open my game and Flowey is just like HEY EVERYONE'S SUPER HAPPY, BUT YOU KNOW WHAT, YOU CAN CHANGE ALL THAT IF YOU WANT

my... my heart...[/spoiler]
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Snowy

Quote from: Sir Popsicle the Sesquipedalian on November 16, 2015, 10:36:02 PM
oh my god this game

[spoiler=actual spoils]So I got the true pacifist ending my first run, and I was pretty proud of it. So just now I open up the game thinking I'll do a genocide run. It'll break my heart but it'll be really interesting seeing how the story plays out.

And I open my game and Flowey is just like HEY EVERYONE'S SUPER HAPPY, BUT YOU KNOW WHAT, YOU CAN CHANGE ALL THAT IF YOU WANT

my... my heart...[/spoiler]
[spoiler]the genocide run is even more heart breaking[/spoiler]

Mando Pandango

[spoiler=genocide spoils]I'VE GOTTEN TO SANS'S LAST ATTACK A FEW TIMES BUT I STILL CAN'T BEAT HIM EVEN AFTER COMING BACK TO THIS GAME GOD DAMMIT COME ON[/spoiler]

Mando Pandango

Finally beat it.

Christ, that was... something.

C.Mongler

oh yeah i bought this and beat it a couple weeks ago

[spoiler]it was good, but i think it got too hyped in my mind for me to enjoy it to the fullest extent. i'd give it a solid 8/10, and it was a great experience, but i wouldn't call it the new GAME OF THE FOREVER or LE NEW EARTHBOUND or many of the things that have been going around. i guess i just expected this game to CHANGE GAMING FOREVER in my mind and every time i met a new character or entered a new location I kept thinking OH BOY HERE'S WHERE ITS GONNA BLOW ME AWAY and it never really happened. don't get me wrong, the writing was great and pretty fuckin hilarious, and the music was awesome, and the game did some clever shit, but at it's core Undertale is kind of a walkin' talkin' simulator with a schmup taped to it and not really a 'JRPG' at all like everyone keeps touting it as, and such, it felt kind of hollow to me at certain points.

GRANTED--full disclosure, i only got the neutral ending, and everyone keeps rallying around the pacifist ending being the TRUE moving and awe inspiring one, but there's two things I don't like in game:

1. I FUCKIN HATE SCHMUPS (as u know)
2. I hate it when games split story-heavy content into multiple endings without a way to easily switch paths and see all the endings, especially when one ending is supposedly superior and canon.

Because of these two things, my desire to literally restart the game and play it AGAIN for another 5+ hours was almost non-existant. I almost didn't actually beat 999 on the DS because of shit like this, but luckily that game let you fast forward through the shit you've already experienced. So I just watched the pacifist ending on YouTube, and while it certainly was better than the neutral one, I can't say that I would have switched my position had I played through it because I personally didn't have any connection to any of the characters (yes i went on a couple of dates) except for maybe Sans, so the FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC tone of the pacifist ending wasn't like that moving to me. Maybe if someone would have said HEY DO THE PACIFIST ENDING FIRST DUMBASS i would have liked it more, BUT NO ONE DID SO I BLAME YOU BOYAH[/spoiler]

Mando Pandango

The genocide playthrough is pretty much entirely different if you want to give that one a shot.

If you do, take note because I fucked this up the first time I tried: in every single new area (tutorial, pre-snowdin, pre-waterfall, hotland/core) you have to kill EVERY SINGLE ENEMY UNTIL NONE SHOW UP ANYMORE before you progress. As long as the save points tell you how many are left, you can keep this up.

And that's how you do it. Just kill everything you possibly can.

Snowy

Genocide was a pretty fun run, at the end at least. True End really paid off.

Go Up