May 09, 2024, 03:29:45 PM

1,531,624 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Nintendo Switch Thread Consolidation

Started by ME##, May 25, 2015, 05:13:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

C.Mongler

TooB

Hyrule Warriors = not shitty

In fact, it's better than the last main Zelda title, for what that's worth goowan

Hiro

fuck you man, hyrule warriors is kinda cool but kinda tedious like any dynasty warriors game
skyward sword was fuckin good

TooB

Quote from: ÊœiroÒˆ on May 01, 2016, 05:13:36 AM
fuck you man, hyrule warriors is kinda cool but kinda tedious like any dynasty warriors game
skyward sword was fuckin good
and I enjoyed Hyrule Warriors way more than SS.
Not saying SS is bad, so......
fuck you

don't let's

The artist formally known

They have better load times than CDs. Member when people complained how many loads there were with the Wii U?

Daddy

Yeah, tech has progressed enough that NAND based storage (on "carts") is significantly faster and more efficient than disk based storage.

When everything moved from carts to disks in the 90s, it it was because solid state storage was many times more expensive than optical media.  Think of how long it took for a good priced 128mb USB drive to become reasonably priced. It'd be much cheaper to use a 700mb disk.   Then DVD and BluRay came out and solid state shit now had to compete with 4GB media and then 64gb shit.

It still had a speed advantage but the size was too expensive.  Now we're at a point where we can reasonably price the storage for equivalent, if not greater, storage and nearly instantaneous loadtimes.

don't let's

I've been wanting them to move onto to flash drives or something instead of straight to digital downloads. Especially with the size of some of these games.

C.Mongler

SUPER CHEAp, SUPER CHEAP, ITS SUPER CHEAPY

don't let's

C.Mongler

bluaki

Quote from: Khadafi on May 09, 2016, 08:34:28 AM
Now we're at a point where we can reasonably price the storage for equivalent, if not greater, storage and nearly instantaneous loadtimes.
"AAA" third-party game developers love making bloated games, though.

I don't doubt you can get 8GB or maybe 16GB of flash memory mass-produced for not very much more than discs cost, but what about the 50GB that developers are already used to relying on for dual-layer Blu-Rays? Or the 128GB for BDXL? ROM prices go much higher if you require high speed.

At least, Nintendo is fairly good at making their games fit on reasonable storage requirements. Even SSBU, which is probably their most content-heavy Wii U game so far, fits in less than 16GB, while others take less like Mario Kart 8 with 5GB or Mario 3D World with 1.7GB. Wii U supports the full capacity of a Blu-Ray, but it only has like 30GB internal storage for digital games which Nintendo probably designed for.

Hiro

yeah i think carts might be kinda cool but i'm wondering how they're going to get larger games on a cart cheaply
i wonder if maybe the carts would be for the "portable" part of the system and the larger/console games (or rest of the game or something idk) would be downloaded

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: ­Ì...Ì...Ì...Ì...Ì...Ì...Ì...Ì...Ì...Ì...­ on May 06, 2016, 07:48:40 PM
So, cartridges?

i'll believe it when i see it

nintendo would be absolutely stupid (lol) to return to anything like cartridges for a home console because solid state media is STILL vastly more expensive than optical media

that hasn't changed since the n64 days and really isn't likely to change ever

rom prices aren't really readily available to the general public but if we judge by things like flash memory vs blu ray discs, the cost per gigabyte for flash is literally about ten times higher than it is for discs

yeah sure nintendo would get wholesale prices on rom or flash chips but they get wholesale prices on discs too

suddenly the cost of publishing a game on a nintendo console would be whole dollars higher for third parties than it would be to publish the very same game on rival platforms, just like in the n64 days, and if they hope to recover much needed third party support they can't afford to disincentivize them by using some needlessly expensive distribution format

C.Mongler

as much as i hate 2 admit it, the tectron is co-rekt

Go Up