September 19, 2024, 07:39:16 PM

1,531,318 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

how is public transit in your area?

Started by The Hand That Fisted Everyone, December 17, 2014, 12:39:15 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Here in Portland buses and trains are frequent, running about every 15 minutes. However, in north carolina buses run every hour and go dhelp you if you miss one. It's kibd of interesting to me how one state makes public transit one of its highest priorities and other states shove it under the rug with the junkies and homeless.

YPrrrr

Bad because Scott Walker is a fucking moron

Rejected free federal money for a train linking Minneapolis-Madison-Milwaukee-Chicago. Which broke contracts with the train company. So now the state owes as much the train would have cost to run for 20 years. Also he keeps cutting bus lines. And we're expanding the highways for some unknown reason despite the fact that our traffic congestion is not really all that bad.

ME##

Most busses run every sixty minutes except during the morning and early evening.  There also used to be no service on Sundays, but that has changed.  In 2008 there was talk of digging up the light rail tracks in downtown, but that never went anywhere and the funds went to building a bus station.  That's about it

Thyme

i guess in comparison to most other major north american cities one good point about it is that it's relatively secure

the schedules of the buses are also p. good, every 10 - 30 minutes depending on the time of the day

every 5 - 15 minutes for the metro

~ but otherwise ~

the metro trains are ancient and so is the general infrastructure
it also doesn't reach far enough, it doesn't even reach the airport, you need to take the bus

and i think it might be overpriced ($3 for a one-way) but idk how much it is for you guys so

[hedy]Zidone

ME##

Quote from: Still Spoopy Thyme on December 17, 2014, 02:58:46 PM
i guess in comparison to most other major north american cities one good point about it is that it's relatively secure

the schedules of the buses are also p. good, every 10 - 30 minutes depending on the time of the day

every 5 - 15 minutes for the metro

~ but otherwise ~

the metro trains are ancient and so is the general infrastructure
it also doesn't reach far enough, it doesn't even reach the airport, you need to take the bus

and i think it might be overpriced ($3 for a one-way) but idk how much it is for you guys so
Wow, I thought SF was a rip off at $2 for the bus

6M69I69B9

December 17, 2014, 04:05:12 PM #6 Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 04:10:05 PM by TLL7-MIB-7LLT
Quote from: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo on December 17, 2014, 12:39:15 PM
Here in Portland buses and trains are frequent, running about every 15 minutes. However, in north carolina buses run every hour and go dhelp you if you miss one. It's kibd of interesting to me how one state makes public transit one of its highest priorities and other states shove it under the rug with the junkies and homeless.

the chicago suburbs also do the same thing; every hour or so, 1 1/2- 2hrs for some 12 o' clock one.  but they run from like 6am to near 8pm.  though the priority is relative to population i'd assume.  like in chicago- you see one every 10-30min.  idk about the city but here they don't work weekends

$1.75 in suburbs.  $2.25 downtown

and the w/ trains, it's like at the most 5.75 unless your stop is nearby then it's lower.  runs every hour.  also, using the bus to get to the train...lol i'd recommend going to the bus stop an hour early.the time you need to get to the train- there's like a...50/5 chance you won't make it...maybe 30 in winter lol.  a lot of ppl here work in downtown chicago or something so it can be busy

Quote from: Travis on April 03, 2015, 10:52:52 PM
gotta eat the booty like groceries

Quote from: Travis on March 01, 2018, 08:44:39 PM
Quote from: reefer on March 01, 2018, 06:15:08 PM
Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

the earth is flat you globecuck

bluaki

My area has just a bus system. I've never used the buses in Tampa or Orlando, only Melbourne (which to be fair is a smaller city), although I can say with certainty that there's no reasonable way to travel between the cities via public transit and there's no other feasible options like passenger trains in any of these cities.

Depending on the bus line, each bus loops roughly either every 1 or 2 hours, with quite a few irregularities in the schedule like either halting for an hour or skipping half the stops for a couple of the loops each day (mostly around 12pm and 5pm).

The bus routes are fairly poor. For example, with one of the biggest state roads in the city (the road that my apartment, university, and most of my doctors and other destinations are on), there's no way to just take the buses northward except to either wait for the southward line to loop or to transfer between two bus lines which go more east and west than north and which don't cover much of the road.

Some of the Bus Stop signs are placed at a different location than where the bus actually stops. Very few bus stops have benches. The bus stop signs do not have any identifier (like "Stop 16") although at least most of them say which bus lines stop there (with some errors). The published bus route maps cherrypick only a few of the stops and make it seem as if most of the stops don't exist. Most bus "transfers" are simply places where two bus lines happen to both stop at roughly the same scheduled time, where neither bus waits for the other so passengers are likely to have to wait for the next loop.

Fares are: $1.50/ride (exact change only) if paying for a single ride, $1.20/ride if buying a 10-ride pass in advance, or $42/month for unlimited use. Prices are cut in half for seniors, students, and veterans.

silvertone

silvertone

Hiro

I mean we have a bus system that seems to be kinda sluggish, and we got a lightrail a few years back and it's working its way up near my house so that should be pretty good once it covers more of the city, but at the moment my opinion of it is pretty low, though that's partly because this city's just so spread out it's nearly impossible to walk anywhere. skylark probably has more experience with it though so I'd take her word over mine.
our roads are supposed to be pretty great though, nice and wide and mostly new

klappa

The metro is pretty good but peak hours are horrible. Also, I hate that people call it the subway like it's the fucking 1920s. It's better than the dc metro at least.

YPrrrr

Quote from: klappa on December 18, 2014, 12:36:12 AM
The metro is pretty good but peak hours are horrible. Also, I hate that people call it the subway like it's the fucking 1920s. It's better than the dc metro at least.
subway isn't a period specific word though huhdoodame;

Although DCs isn't a true subway anyway

snoorkel

ME##

Go Up