May 08, 2024, 06:56:40 PM

1,531,624 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Started by Commander Fuckass, December 05, 2014, 09:15:30 PM

previous topic - next topic

how cool

5 wow, such zelda
4 (30.8%)
4 omg omg omg
4 (30.8%)
3 meh, this is the exciting zelda?
3 (23.1%)
2 looks bland, do not want
1 (7.7%)
1 poopy poop
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Go Down

Nyerp

finally started this for the wii u. its great

Samus Aran

got the paraglider now so i guess i'm past the "intro" to the game. which took quite some time, as there was loads to explore and i've been having a lot of fun already

Kalahari Inkantation

March 07, 2017, 08:25:17 PM #437 Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 09:10:16 PM by Tectron
Quote from: C.Mongler on March 07, 2017, 10:42:32 AM
yes when bloodborne had you guess to wear the crown to open the secret wall to join the vilebloods and grab the item on the table to guess to return to alfred and give him said item to guess again to return to cainhurst to get the flesh to guess to yadda yadda yadda, it was simply good storytelling and exploration and not, i dunno, contrived nonsense that served no point than to waste the players time for extra goodies

there is no denying that bloodborne can be infuriatingly cryptic at times, but i think we're talking about two different things

i'm talking about general overworld design, and i maintain that fromsoft overworlds are in general spectacularly crafted (the only partial exception being dark souls 2)

you

Quote from: C.Mongler on March 07, 2017, 10:42:32 AMwaste the players time for extra goodies

are talking about side content

there are numerous little moments in the souls games and bloodborne that make me wonder 'how the fuck; was i supposed to have figured that out without a guide', and i myself am frequently critical of such moments, but they're almost exclusively limited to npc sidequests and optional content, and the entirety of cainhurst is optional

whereas the original zelda requires a guide just to complete the game

like john and kaz said, it's just not nearly on the same level, and you can totally complete all the souls games without relying on a guide

now, sometimes fromsoft games have significant extra content that basically requires a guide to figure out (bloodborne's (spoils) [glow=black,2,300]alternate endings[/glow] come to mind), and while that clearly represents poor game design, it's still not nearly on the same level as the original zelda is

Quote from: C.Mongler on March 07, 2017, 10:42:32 AM
but when the first game to ever do that shit did it, which could have been used as a learning exercise 30 years later, IT WAS JUST BAD AND INEXCUSABLE

i didn't say this at all lol

nor did i accuse you of being a zelda fanboy, that was a side note

unless you do think zelda was the original dark souls, but i see no such claims in your post

i'm not sure boyah even has any real zelda "fanboys" left, most of us have played a popular non-nintendo rpg in the past ten years and come to realize that zelda hasn't been the end-all be-all of video games since the n64 era

i sure hope it retakes the crown with botw but we'll see about that 5thgrade;

and finally

Quote from: C.Mongler on March 07, 2017, 10:42:32 AMit was simply good storytelling and exploration

i didn't mention storytelling at all either, and i would never excuse away fromsoft """storytelling""" as anything but ridiculously convoluted (demon's souls being the only exception), lazily hidden away behind item descriptions and left largely to fan conjecture

the souls games are absolutely not perfect and i wasn't suggesting that they are in my previous post, but their world design specifically is enormously superior to most zelda worlds, especially the original's

TooB

Zelda wasn't the be all end all since LttP.

Ok, maybe not to EVERYBODY....

Kalahari Inkantation

March 07, 2017, 09:01:21 PM #439 Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 09:51:07 PM by Tectron
now, in the original zelda's defense

Quote from: Big Goop on March 06, 2017, 10:48:13 AM
The original Zelda sucks now.

I hate when people do top games of all time and Zelda is always #1 or at least top 3

while i do think the game is a bit overrated, there is a certain type of gamer who adores that type of completely unguided game design, for reasons that i simply don't understand but nonetheless acknowledge

they're the same sorts of people who proclaim that morrowind is the greatest wrpg of all time specifically because it dumps you into an open world with virtually no direction and a barely so much as a 'good luck' (i wonder how morrowind fanboys feel about daggerfall and arena), and hate skyrim for being "casualized" (whereas to me skyrim's "casualization" is actually just an example of game devs demonstrating that they have a modicum of respect for the player's time)

i guess they are also the same sorts of people who keep buying these awful things:

Quote from: Thyme on March 06, 2017, 02:23:53 PM
oh so you must like those early access survival sandbox games then ifeelbetter;

myface;

so while i may not agree with the original zelda's historically high placement in 'greatest of all time' lists, i can at least semi-respect the author's opinion IF AND ONLY IF their justification for it being in a top spot is more substantial than 'well it's zelda and it was the first, so'

also, i fully recognize that deliberately cryptic and punitive game design was somewhat of a necessity in the nes era, as it was the only way to elongate games that would otherwise be two or three-hour experiences in many cases

that doesn't make it any more fun for me, as a player who has never liked to waste too much time wandering around aimlessly, but i get the rationale

TooB

Good points Tec

Also, they have the botw Zelda amiibo. Should I get it

Samus Aran

Kalahari Inkantation

what do the botw amiibos even do

rdl

Kalahari Inkantation

i mean there must be more of an incentive to buy into the tired amiibo scam in this day and age than random loot, right

the tp hd amiibo allows you to have (minor amiibo spoils) [glow=black,2,300]wolf link as a companion[/glow], i would have expected the botw-specific amiibos to do something unique like that

TooB

I just want it cause I like the new Zelda look

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Big Goop on March 07, 2017, 08:29:10 PM

also what does this mean exactly akudood;

i can't think of anything that was even remotely competitive with the n64 zeldas in terms of their masterful execution of early 3d game design (combined with great atmosphere and presentation and sound design etc.)

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Big Goop on March 07, 2017, 10:11:00 PM
I just want it cause I like the new Zelda look

well if you value them as figurines then i see no reason not to go for it

i think the botw amiibos are particularly good looking

Samus Aran

Quote from: Tectron on March 07, 2017, 10:14:19 PM
i can't think of anything that was even remotely competitive with the n64 zeldas in terms of their masterful execution of early 3d game design (combined with great atmosphere and presentation and sound design etc.)

there wasn't lol

as tired as it may be to say this, oot really was pretty much perfection for the time

TooB

Quote from: Tectron on March 07, 2017, 10:14:19 PM
Quote from: Big Goop on March 07, 2017, 08:29:10 PM

also what does this mean exactly akudood;

it doesn't mean anything. It's me just talking.

Go Up