May 08, 2024, 06:27:52 PM

1,531,624 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Started by Commander Fuckass, December 05, 2014, 09:15:30 PM

previous topic - next topic

how cool

5 wow, such zelda
4 (30.8%)
4 omg omg omg
4 (30.8%)
3 meh, this is the exciting zelda?
3 (23.1%)
2 looks bland, do not want
1 (7.7%)
1 poopy poop
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Go Down

TooB

The original Zelda sucks now.

I hate when people do top games of all time and Zelda is always #1 or at least top 3

Travis

Quote from: Tectron on March 06, 2017, 06:38:42 AM
[spoiler= no spoils, just a controversial tecopinion]

the "original zelda feel" SUCKS

i hope botw is absolutely nothing like that

gee, i sure do enjoy being dumped in the middle of nowhere and wandering around aimlessly for hours at a time while burning arbitrary bushes and bombing random walls until i find a thing !!![/spoiler]
i thought i was the only person in the world who thought this. thank you tec, again you have saved the universe

Thyme

[spoiler]gee, i sure do enjoy being dumped in the middle of nowhere and wandering around aimlessly for hours at a time while burning arbitrary bushes and bombing random walls until i find a thing !!![/spoiler]

oh so you must like those early access survival sandbox games then ifeelbetter;

don't let's

Does Link [glow=black,2,300]shout[/glow]?

rdl

March 06, 2017, 08:32:39 PM #424 Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 08:39:28 PM by ADX
So, just a rhetorical question, but I don't get it.

[spoiler=complaint about early plot spoilers, like if you're playing just for the plot you'll get to this in about 3-4 hours]Wtf they literally tell you everything about the plot in the beginning of the game? Why are you playing then? Suddenly I have no motivation to play, because it's just another zelda game plot.[/spoiler]

Also, it's cool how they incentivize you to not go places by kicking your ass. I guess MMOs have done it for awhile, but it's cool in a Zelda game. This game is based in making you feel a certain way rather than telling you things and I appreciate that a lot. I just feel like I'm too old to be playing a game this deep, idk, I can't appreciate it that much. It's definitely amazing, but I dunno.
[spoiler]In particular, one of the coolest moments I've had in a game in a long time was going up to the path to Gerudo Valley, seeing the guy dancing in the air, and then going up to talk to him and seeing that I couldn't. So I shot an arrow at him, and seeing how huge the health bar was and how he very nonchalantly then tried to kill me was seriously spooky. So I ran away as fast as I could and he followed me farther than I thought. Really cool monster design.[/spoiler]

bluaki

March 07, 2017, 03:52:21 AM #425 Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 03:57:41 AM by bluaki

gee, i sure do enjoy being dumped in the middle of nowhere and wandering around aimlessly for hours at a time while burning arbitrary bushes and bombing random walls until i find a thing !!![/spoiler]
I agree with this too. The first Zelda game imo has so much worse game design compared to everything else since LttP, even including the questionable DS Zelda games.

The "secrets" in particular are awful because most of them have zero indication they exist no matter how keen you are at picking up subtle stuff like obscure dialog hints or a lone rock or a gap in the map that suggests a possible hidden area.

I like for games to have some sort of goal that you actually know about, preferably without needing to read the manual. Exploration is fine as long as there's at least one thing you know you're looking for rather than wander around aimlessly and eventually stumble on something and realize "oh that's what I should've been looking for". That's fine only for bonus things because you'll probably see at least one heart piece or whatever during the main quest which suggests you can find more if you search for them.

C.Mongler

this is funny to me because bloodborne did the same shit. i dunno about any of the other souls games cuz i never played em enough lol

Kalahari Inkantation

March 07, 2017, 09:48:23 AM #427 Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 09:57:02 AM by Tectron
Quote from: C.Mongler on March 07, 2017, 08:55:39 AM

this is funny to me because bloodborne did the same shit.

no it did not

bloodborne and the souls games are nothing like the first zelda, at all (and on that note, boy is it ignorant of bitter zelda fanboys to claim that the original zelda invented dark souls-type gameplay, lol)

the fromsoft games feature intelligently designed pseudo-open worlds that organically funnel the explorative player into the nearest path of least resistance

i mean, it may take some poking and prodding to find the mouth of a funnel (they can't just give you literally everything), but tenacity will prevail, and once you're within a funnel, the fromsoft games actually become quite linear experiences honestly lol

and that is an example of brilliant, absolutely deliberate game design

bloodborne and the souls games reward exploration and teach you about their worlds through trial-and-error in a way that a completely open, unstructured, arbitrarily organized game like the original zelda simply cannot

C.Mongler

lol yup struck a nerve with that one

yes when bloodborne had you guess to wear the crown to open the secret wall to join the vilebloods and grab the item on the table to guess to return to alfred and give him said item to guess again to return to cainhurst to get the flesh to guess to yadda yadda yadda, it was simply good storytelling and exploration and not, i dunno, contrived nonsense that served no point than to waste the players time for extra goodies

but when the first game to ever do that shit did it, which could have been used as a learning exercise 30 years later, IT WAS JUST BAD AND INEXCUSABLE

and who's the fanboy?

C.Mongler

my favorite part of bloodborne tho was when its required to read a walkthrough to know the stupid dumbshit you need to do to activate the dlc

TooB

All I know is, I completed Bloodborne without a walkthrough...

I could never do that with og zelda

rdl

im just a little bit bored. which is something no one else has expressed so far

TooB

Quote from: ADX on March 07, 2017, 11:58:42 AM
im just a little bit bored. which is something no one else has expressed so far
with botw? Sadly, I can imagine that happening to me too. It always happens at some point for me with open world games

rdl

yeah. it's magical but i just don't really give a shit. it's me, not the game, but i can't see myself going with it all the way, the game asks too much of you.

Samus Aran

Quote from: C.Mongler on March 07, 2017, 10:42:32 AM
lol yup struck a nerve with that one

yes when bloodborne had you guess to wear the crown to open the secret wall to join the vilebloods and grab the item on the table to guess to return to alfred and give him said item to guess again to return to cainhurst to get the flesh to guess to yadda yadda yadda, it was simply good storytelling and exploration and not, i dunno, contrived nonsense that served no point than to waste the players time for extra goodies

but when the first game to ever do that shit did it, which could have been used as a learning exercise 30 years later, IT WAS JUST BAD AND INEXCUSABLE

and who's the fanboy?

not that i'm excusing souls games for also having weird obscure things you do sometimes, but these instances are definitely nothing compared to the constant onslaught of confusion that is the original zelda lol

Go Up