May 08, 2024, 11:26:48 AM

1,531,622 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Started by Commander Fuckass, December 05, 2014, 09:15:30 PM

previous topic - next topic

how cool

5 wow, such zelda
4 (30.8%)
4 omg omg omg
4 (30.8%)
3 meh, this is the exciting zelda?
3 (23.1%)
2 looks bland, do not want
1 (7.7%)
1 poopy poop
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Go Down

Samus Aran

yeah i've been keeping up with the pre-reviews too. still as moderately hyped as i have been for a while now.

rdl

They said all of the same things about Skyward Sword. Also people just compare it to OoT because the Link is I'm 90 % sure the HoT. Anyway one more week. I can wait I think, just i still idk i feel no hype

Samus Aran

btw i really appreciate how the map system works in this game. dropping symbols on the map manually to mark stuff and serve as guideposts as opposed to the game automatically keeping track of stuff for you. one of the biggest problems with open world games in the past decade or so is how they all just automatically mark shit for you, even stuff that your player character could not conceivably know the location of, and then in some cases (rockstar) even literally then tell you which route to follow to reach said point in case you happen to be completely braindead

other little attempts at realism are nice too though. not being able to lock on with your bow so you actually have to aim. having to catch your boomerangs manually lest they disappear. having most equipment and items be finite. and of course having no real indicator other than your untimely death that you've wandered into an area too difficult for you at the time.

Samus Aran

Quote from: ADX on February 24, 2017, 08:47:16 AM
They said all of the same things about Skyward Sword.

to be fair, there's actual details of the game being pointed out that people are excited about, stuff that is unique to breath of the wild. and that's largely what everyone is praising in their previews as well. the only thing really unique about skyward sword was the motion controls, and that was indeed the best thing about the game. skyward sword reviewed so well mostly just because people thought the whole package was a really charming zelda game i guess. this one is previewing so well because it's anything but a usual zelda game.

but i agree that skyward sword should have taught us to be wary. it has for me as well. it was a disappointment, to say the least.

C.Mongler

Quote from: ADX on February 24, 2017, 08:47:16 AM
They said all of the same things about Skyward Sword.

did they? for real, i'd like to see some that are claiming the same caliber of comment that the BotW previews are to be grounded. all the skyward sword previews i'm looking at right now say typical zelda preview shit like "they tried these new ideas that seem pretty cool" "dungeons, puzzles, neat!" "its a natural evolution of the series!". i can't find a single preview where someone seems like, god damned shook about skyward sword like half the previewers of botw are. i can't find a single preview where someone claims skyward sword is going to be a genre defining classic.

C.Mongler

Moreso I guess I'm getting at folks talked about Skyward Sword a lot in terms of it being an evolution on Zelda games, whereas the dialouge around BotW seems to be revolving around how it's an evolution of games in general.

not that i don't think there's reason to try and stay level headed about it, but still, so far seems like it could be a very nice game

rdl

February 24, 2017, 09:26:42 AM #306 Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 09:36:31 AM by ADX
i mean im a pleb so i only read ign. i remember their review said that it was a game changer and was the best zelda ever created. that said i liked ss, it's top 5 for me, and i dont think i was that hyped for it either. still this just looks like skyrim to me so idk. open world kind of turns me off these days, they'll have to do it really well and it doesn't look all that special to me

also ive avoided most details like ive done since like mario galaxy 2 which blew me away bc i didnt expect anything. all i know is theres a supporting cast of falco and a drag queen and theres horses and towns. and clothes changing.

TooB

February 24, 2017, 09:49:23 AM #307 Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 09:53:17 AM by Big Goop
Ok, having to catch your boomerang manually SOUNDS cool, I have a feeling its gonna get annoying fast.

Some realism in games can be cool, but it doesn't always create smooth gameplay.

And the finite weapons thing, something people complain about in other games, suddenly its awesome cause its in a Zelda game....

Samus Aran

Quote from: Big Goop on February 24, 2017, 09:49:23 AM
Ok, having to catch your boomerang manually SOUNDS cool, I have a feeling its gonna get annoying fast.

Some realism in games can be cool, but it doesn't always create smooth gameplay.

i mean i guess it depends on how useful throwing boomerangs really is in the first place, and how common it is to find more boomerangs.

TooB

Quote from: Shinobu Oshino on February 24, 2017, 09:53:27 AM
Quote from: Big Goop on February 24, 2017, 09:49:23 AM

i mean i guess it depends on how useful throwing boomerangs really is in the first place, and how common it is to find more boomerangs.
everything is gonna depend on everything else.

The game has a lot of cool bullet points, we will see how they mesh together

Hiro

Nyerp

another game that's sold out on amazon so i can't use the prime discount. FUCK you!!!!!!

Hiro

Samus Aran

i literally preordered it today apparently right before they stopped taking preorders

Hiro

Go Up