May 08, 2024, 04:55:34 AM

1,531,622 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Started by Commander Fuckass, December 05, 2014, 09:15:30 PM

previous topic - next topic

how cool

5 wow, such zelda
4 (30.8%)
4 omg omg omg
4 (30.8%)
3 meh, this is the exciting zelda?
3 (23.1%)
2 looks bland, do not want
1 (7.7%)
1 poopy poop
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Go Down

ME##

i wish they'd either do the full wind waker experience again or try to do brown graphix like skyrimjobs instead of this half-assed in between thing they did with skyward sword

Kalahari Inkantation

http://venturebeat.com/2016/06/16/nintendos-zelda-booth-at-e3-has-a-24-minute-day-night-cycle/

oot's cycle is the same length

and that honestly seems far too rapid for a game of this scale

for comparison, 24 skyrim hours is equivalent to 1h12m real world time

Quote from: Tectron on June 18, 2016, 11:45:56 AM
[spoiler=4k press screens (56k warning!!!)]

[/spoiler]

some of these are definitely reminiscent of shadow of the colossus

this pair of screenshots demonstrates how lighting is affected by the 24h cycle

ME##

Quote from: Tectron on June 18, 2016, 12:54:30 PM
http://venturebeat.com/2016/06/16/nintendos-zelda-booth-at-e3-has-a-24-minute-day-night-cycle/

Quote from: Tectron on June 18, 2016, 11:45:56 AM
[spoiler=4k press screens (56k warning!!!)]

[/spoiler]

some of these are definitely reminiscent of shadow of the colossus

this pair of screenshots demonstrates how lighting is affected by the 24h cycle
72 minutes is weird, i'd be happy with a similar one to gtav's which is 48 minutes

Kalahari Inkantation

[spoiler=more artwork]

[/spoiler]

bluaki

Why is it important how long the in-game day lasts? I'd say 24 minutes is long enough that simple tasks can be done before the sun sets and short enough that you get a good amount of variety in lighting and won't have to wait forever for any time-of-day events.

To give one comparison I'm familiar with, Harvest Moon days typically last 12 minutes (effectively less because the protagonist sleeps, or 24 for A Wonderful Life), where time-of-day is much more important than it could be in a game like this.

In Zelda, it doesn't matter if you can't travel across the entire map in a day. In Harvest Moon, that'd make the game practically unplayable.

Is an OoT day really that long? I remember barely missing the Hyrule drawbridge way too many times for the days to be that long.

don't let's

Probably more for aesthetics, for how the world looks at different times of the day. Though I could see that if there's a lot of time dependent events then a longer cycle could get annoying. But if it's too short then that's going to give you less time to enjoy how certain times of the day look, and it might be that the day/night cycle is constantly and noticeably shifting, which could get old. Instead of it being more gradual.

But I don't what a 24 minute cycle would look like in that world, so I don't know if that's too short or not. But it does sound kinda short.

silvertone

Quote from: bluaki on June 18, 2016, 08:37:27 PM

Why is it important how long the in-game day lasts? I'd say 24 minutes is long enough that simple tasks can be done before the sun sets and short enough that you get a good amount of variety in lighting and won't have to wait forever for any time-of-day events.

To give one comparison I'm familiar with, Harvest Moon days typically last 12 minutes (effectively less because the protagonist sleeps, or 24 for A Wonderful Life), where time-of-day is much more important than it could be in a game like this.

In Zelda, it doesn't matter if you can't travel across the entire map in a day. In Harvest Moon, that'd make the game practically unplayable.

Is an OoT day really that long? I remember barely missing the Hyrule drawbridge way too many times for the days to be that long.
i think it starts you out mid day.

squirrelfriend

It works for the sims loading screens and all

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: bluaki on June 18, 2016, 08:37:27 PM

muh immersion basically

a 24-minute day might be appropriate for a game whose entire world can be traversed in about 20 minutes, but

Quote from: ­Ì...Ì...Ì...Ì...Ì...Ì...Ì...Ì...Ì...Ì...­ on June 18, 2016, 11:00:25 PM
But if it's too short then that's going to give you less time to enjoy how certain times of the day look, and it might be that the day/night cycle is constantly and noticeably shifting, which could get old.

this is my real concern

for a game that purports to be 60 times oot's size i don't know if that scale would work, in two hours you would witness five sunrises and sunsets possibly all within the same small area

Kalahari Inkantation

https://gfycat.com/AnguishedPrestigiousAntelopegroundsquirrel

ragdoll physx confirmed

i absolutely love how he continually takes damage as he tumbles down the cliffside

bluaki

I feel like 24 minutes is a point where you stop feeling like the sun is noticeably constantly shifting. I'd say it's good for the days to be somewhat short so you get a decent variety of daytime and nighttime while exploring a place.

A day's length should depend more on how long people will play at a time than the scale of the game's world, although the absence of time-stopping areas (unlike most other Zelda games where most of your gameplay is spent in frozen time) does play a factor.

Unlike OoT, this probably isn't a game where you'll frequently need to walk across the entire map at once.

Also, I just searched a bit for the other Zelda games:
OoT days (sunrise-to-sunrise) only last 3 minutes and 50 seconds. Each hour lasts 12 seconds during daytime and 6 seconds during nighttime.
MM days last 18 minutes and each hour lasts 45 seconds. Inverted Song of Time can slow this by 3x on N64 or 2x on 3DS.
Wind Waker and Twilight Princess days last somewhere around 10 minutes, but I can't find any specific numbers.

Excluding the inverted song of time, those are all much faster than BotW days.

Quote from: Tectron on June 19, 2016, 12:49:07 PM
https://gfycat.com/AnguishedPrestigiousAntelopegroundsquirrel

ragdoll physx confirmed

i absolutely love how he continually takes damage as he tumbles down the cliffside
All the videos and gifs I see of the Treehouse staff playing this game gives me the impression that they've memorized exactly how much damage everything gives you.

It's way too often that I see them end up at exactly just-barely-not-dead health. I also saw one time where Bill Trinen just barely lost enough health to die from a combination of doing like 3 dangerous things at once when they were about to stop playing anyway to show a video.

TooB

they could make days longer if they wanted, and just have a sun's song solution for people who want to do certain things at a certain time...

Kalahari Inkantation

don't let's

Quote from: Tectron on June 15, 2016, 01:06:27 AM
(likely placeholder) box art:

[spoiler][/spoiler]
Though I like the one where's he's on horseback or the shot from the back where he's holding the bow down better

don't let's

Go Up