thread in which we discuss the artistic merit øf games and problems within the i

Started by ncba93ivyase, June 22, 2014, 10:27:45 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

ncba93ivyase

ndustry

so feminists/journalists/indie devs frequently criticize mainstream games as being sexist or failing to be more inclusive by widening the diversity of protagonists

but honestly, i think most indie games are doing it far worse.

gone home is praised for being "a work of art" and "what the game industry needs" but honestly i think it's only harming the industry. a couple problems:
- people think reducing gameplay to the point that it barely exists is a cornerstone of indie games, only furthering the bullshit reputation that they already have

- it perpetuates the idea that games can't be art by being one of the most famous "art" games and there's little gameplay to be found other than brainless meandering. dear esther was the last big "art game" that i recall and it was the same shit.

- it reduces the lgbt community to nothing beyond their gender and sexual identity and i see this as the biggest problem. there are two types of minority characters in modern games: those whose whole identity revolves around their minority status, and those who are a simply a happenstance minority. gone home did the former and it was really fucking annoying. the whole game is nothing but little mentions of "haha this girl was cute" then it shoves it in your face that she's a lesbian. she has 0 identity outside of being a lesbian. she's not a person who happens to be attracted to women, but a lesbian who happens to be a mentioned character. you could argue "well she has video games and listens to riot grrl!!! she's more than that!!" no, those are just droppings and filler. as a character she is nothing but a lesbian. you as the player serve no purpose other than to learn that she is a lesbian.

i really think this drive to include greater "diversity" is only resulting in regression. people are forcing bland characters and saying that they have non-white, non-straight, non-masculine identities because it's "hip", "progressive", and "inclusive." what they could be doing instead is using these traits as just one facet of a complex character. nintendo did this pretty well with metroid pre-brawl. samus isn't a woman just because there needed to be "diversity"--her as a mother to a metroid is pretty pivotal to the plot of series. a male character wouldn't have worked as well since there's no maternal bond. at best if samus were a male the metroid would've been a pet because nobody would really be convinced by a claim that the metroid saw it as its dad and died to protect him. father-child bonds aren't usually perceived as being as strong as mother-child bonds. samus's long lasting concern for the baby also shows her maternal instincts. it's a story that doesn't need to be thrown in your face with "SAMUS IS A WOMAN SO SHE MUST PROTECT BABIES. ALSO SHE LIKES FUCKING WOMEN." it's stuff you infer and honestly i'd say super metroid has more artistic value than basically any "art" game today akudood;

also don't even get me started on anna anthropy i fucking hate that 2edgy4u cow.

but anyways this is probably just rambling. it's the kind of shit i consider while i'm developing.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

??????

believing that the artist has any merit within any industry is very optimistic of you unless you're a very precocious freelancer
isnt bioshock considered an art game

ncba93ivyase

bioshock unfortunately is and it's really not much more beyond "objectivism is dumb because greed also you did all this just because i asked politely (and not actually because you have no other option)." it lacked depth entirely

braid is considered a "high art" game and it's just some puzzle game about a fag in a suit with a story that's not at all relevant to the gameplay

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

PLEASEHELP1991

I love [you]

ncba93ivyase

multifaceted characters who aren't mere caricatures to be "progressive" are better than shit like gone homo

ME##

if i can't be a proud black pansexual mtf transnonciswoman, i don't play the game

PLEASEHELP1991

I legitimately want the sims 4 to introduce trans characters, ivf fertilization, surrogate parenting, and abortions.
I love [you]

silvertone

Games aren't art they are sports. that's why they are called games.

Go Up