September 29, 2024, 12:26:18 AM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Official Smash 4 Discussion Thread (Join our weekly SMASH!)

Started by strongbad, May 31, 2013, 12:30:37 PM

previous topic - next topic

Favorite Character?

Fox
1 (33.3%)
Link
2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Go Down

Samus Aran

i'm hoping that you can turn it off

Travis

silvertone

6M69I69B9

Quote from: Travis on May 28, 2014, 09:31:42 PM
a challenger appears: my dick
umm is there anythung attached to the dick u would like to share yn
Quote from: Travis on April 03, 2015, 10:52:52 PM
gotta eat the booty like groceries

Quote from: Travis on March 01, 2018, 08:44:39 PM
Quote from: reefer on March 01, 2018, 06:15:08 PM
Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

the earth is flat you globecuck

Samus Aran

Quote from: TLL7-MIB-7LLT on May 28, 2014, 10:07:49 PM

yeah your mom lmao

6M69I69B9

Quote from: Presea Combatir on May 28, 2014, 10:19:54 PM
Quote from: TLL7-MIB-7LLT on May 28, 2014, 10:07:49 PM

yeah your mom lmao

LOL

#damn

lol

wow

that was

a good 1

o my god

lol

but yeah oh my goddings

lol omg

Quote from: Travis on April 03, 2015, 10:52:52 PM
gotta eat the booty like groceries

Quote from: Travis on March 01, 2018, 08:44:39 PM
Quote from: reefer on March 01, 2018, 06:15:08 PM
Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

the earth is flat you globecuck

Hiro

Quote from: Presea Combatir on May 28, 2014, 01:05:14 PM
apparently characters visibly let off steam when they're heavily damaged

that's so fucking dumb
is there any visuals of this, where did you hear this
it sounds like it could be fine though, i don't get why it would be a problem

strongbad

it's just more "noise" that i'd rather not deal with
that is one of my gripes with brawl- every attack is so flashy and shit it is just distracting. it takes away from the attacks that are actually cool

bluaki

Quote from: y-i on May 29, 2014, 12:35:49 PM
Gamecube Controller adapter confirmed: http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/29/5762186/you-can-play-the-next-smash-bros-with-a-gamecube-controller
It's not exactly confirmed that this accessory will ever be released to and usable by regular consumers, but I'm sure it's popular enough that Nintendo would be foolish not to. The device we see now may not reflect its final form; in particular, they may never make Smash-logo controllers.

I'd like to clarify the technical implications of this accessory:
The most important point for Melee/Brawl/Project M players: GameCube controllers will be manufactured again.
Wii U will need to have an OS update for USB input support
Most likely, game developers must explicitly support the device. No existing Wii U games will gain Gamecube controller support except those (if any) that get an update.
It will be fairly easy to make drivers for this on PC.
Most likely, Nintendo won't make this work with Wii U's Wii mode, but it is technically possible to do so; you probably can't use Gamecube controllers when playing Wii games like Brawl on your Wii U.
It will most likely, but not necessarily, support existing Wavebird receivers.
I believe Wii U is technically capable of playing Gamecube games in backwards-compatibility mode with an update, but regardless of this accessory existing, actually making that update isn't a very Nintendo-ish thing to do. In particular, emulating memory cards is something their developers seem to struggle with. They're already refusing to add GBA games to 3DS.

There's a fair chance that Nintendo will make this compatible with the USB HID standard, in which case:
It'll work right away and out-of-the-box in Windows, Mac, and Linux
It'll work on PS3 and any other game consoles that support generic USB gamepads
You might be able to use generic existing USB gamepads like Logitech ones on Wii U for Smash U and any future games that support this.
The default button mappings in all of these scenarios may or may not be what you expect.

That said, I probably will get one, but I think I prefer Wii U Pro Controller over Gamecube.

Hiro

uh blu what
why would they go through all that effort of making hardware and putting support for it into the game just for that one tournament????  akudood;
also there's no implication that they'll be making gamecube controllers again either; they didn't during the Wii's lifetime which (until that later model) supported gamecube compatibility and whatnot

QuoteMost likely, game developers must explicitly support the device. No existing Wii U games will gain Gamecube controller support except those (if any) that get an update.
that seems fairly obvious since that applies to most any peripheral

QuoteIt will most likely, but not necessarily, support existing Wavebird receivers.
one article noted that the ports are recessed, which might not allow wavebird receivers to plug in properly thumbdown;

I'm also positive they will not add Gamecube compatibility to the Wii U; this seems like something made more specifically for this game, and perhaps a few other first-part titles that will support it as an added bonus

Quote from: bluaki on May 29, 2014, 01:28:21 PM
There's a fair chance that Nintendo will make this compatible with the USB HID standard, in which case:
You might be able to use generic existing USB gamepads like Logitech ones on Wii U for Smash U and any future games that support this.
The default button mappings in all of these scenarios may or may not be what you expect.
I don't know why you would expect this to happen. Also didn't know the PS3 supported generic gamepads. I'm almost positive the Wii U won't support USB gamepads, but I do think this will allow for someone to write a driver supporting this adapter on Windows which would allow you to use your Gamecube controllers on your PC, like you mentioned.

bluaki

Quote from: y-i on May 29, 2014, 02:43:15 PM
also there's no implication that they'll be making gamecube controllers again either; they didn't during the Wii's lifetime which (until that later model) supported gamecube compatibility and whatnot
Actually, they did: http://www.amazon.com/Official-Nintendo-White-Classic-Gamecube-Controller/dp/B0017KIBAI

Besides, it's different when they're outright making a new accessory that they'd like people to buy. Considering they're making this the main controller used in the tournament (and making a fancy Smash edition of it), I'd say it seems like their intention with this is more than just letting you keep backwards-compatibility with controllers you already own.

QuoteMost likely, game developers must explicitly support the device. No existing Wii U games will gain Gamecube controller support except those (if any) that get an update.
that seems fairly obvious since that applies to most any peripheral
On other systems, this isn't the case: for example, most PS3 games work fine with generic controllers for which many of them were probably never tested with, because Sony apparently has a more-abstracted controller API than Nintendo.

As far as I know, it is technically possible for this Wii U update to treat these controllers as a remapping of one of the existing controllers, but that's not the sort of hack Nintendo ever seems to do.

QuoteIt will most likely, but not necessarily, support existing Wavebird receivers.
one article noted that the ports are recessed, which might not allow wavebird receivers to plug in properly thumbdown;

I'm also positive they will not add Gamecube compatibility to the Wii U; this seems like something made more specifically for this game, and perhaps a few other first-part titles that will support it as an added bonus
Have those authors ever seen a Gamecube? The ports in this accessory are recessed the same way as they are on the Gamecube, although Wii does not have recessed ports.

The reason I have some doubts about it supporting Wavebird is that their receivers require more power. Some existing third-party Gamecube-PC adapters don't support Wavebird for this reason. The fact that it requires two USB ports instead of one suggests that it is likely to have enough power to support them.

In a purely-architectural standpoint, I'm fairly sure Wii U does support native execution of Gamecube code. Reasons they might have for removing Gamecube support include: no controller options with 1:1 button mappings, no wired controllers, slot-loading disc drive might not support minidiscs (I don't know about this), and the extra effort it takes to simulate virtual memory cards and redirect controller inputs.

I still strongly doubt they would ever do this, but my point is that it's at least possible.

Quote from: bluaki on May 29, 2014, 01:28:21 PM
I don't know why you would expect this to happen. Also didn't know the PS3 supported generic gamepads. I'm almost positive the Wii U won't support USB gamepads, but I do think this will allow for someone to write a driver supporting this adapter on Windows which would allow you to use your Gamecube controllers on your PC, like you mentioned.
The reason I believe this might happen is that making USB HID-compliant devices is simply easier than making up and implementing your own device driver protocol.

strongbad

Tournament line up is interesting
They got (mostly) legit players and commentators
But the rules... Wtf

Still a cool nod to the competitive scene tho

bluaki

E3 stuff:
3 Mii fighters (using either fists, swords, or guns) are playable characters
Palutena confirmed, because everybody ever seemed to put her on character prediction lists

Release date updates:
3DS version is October 3 in US/Europe, September 13 in Japan. This is a delay from our previous "Summer 2014" announcement.
Wii U version is now "Holiday season 2014", which I believe most likely means December but possibly November.

Nintendo Figure Platform, now called amiibo, is featured in the Wii U version as a mechanic that lets you boost your characters' strength with exp points and saving customization.

Hardware pricing:
Wii U GCN adapter: $20
Smash-logo GCN controller: $30
Smash Bros U by itself: $60
Smash Bros U bundle with GCN adapter and one GCN controller: $100 (save $10 from buying separate)
amiibo figures: Pricing TBA
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a SmashU console bundle

I'll probably buy the controller bundle because I like having every controller option.

Samus Aran

while i already have two wavebirds, i actually really want that smash bros logo controller

so i might get that bundle with the controller, game, and adapter

Go Up