September 28, 2024, 09:30:56 PM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Fighting game suggestions

Started by strongbad, March 18, 2012, 10:39:58 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

I've never taken a fighting game seriously besides Melee. I don't even know what to expect, but I would really like to broaden my horizons considering how much I enjoy Melee. Preferably something with online play.

I really like the learning curve that Melee offers more than anything. Watching things that you've learned improve your game is so fucking satisfying.

I'm under the impression that most fighting games rely heavily on preset combos. Is this true? One of my favorite things about Melee is how organic combos are, and how they can vary based on your opponent's percentage and DI.

ME##

Soulcalibur V?  I haven't played one since II, but I can't imagine it being bad now.  Pretty much as long as it isn't from Crapcom you should be fine.  n_u

Samus Aran

Quote from: Dovydas on March 19, 2012, 02:18:08 PM
Pretty much as long as it isn't from Crapcom you should be fine.  n_u

Seriously David? Have you ever even played a Capcom fighting game? They've always been solid, there's a reason the fans are there.

And I would actually suggest not getting SCV unless he really wants to play online. SCII would be a better game to get if he wants a good 3D fighter to play on his own and with his friends. The Gamecube version of course.

As for 2D fighters, you can't really go wrong with the Street Fighter series, it's the quintessential series of 2D fighting games.

ME##

Quote from: Cirno on March 19, 2012, 02:20:24 PM
Seriously David? Have you ever even played a Capcom fighting game? They've always been solid, there's a reason the fans are there.

I've played Marvel vs Capcom 2, which I enjoyed.  I just find the ridiculous DLC that is really just keys to unlock content on the disc and multiple revisions to be disgusting.  awdood;

Samus Aran

Quote from: Dovydas on March 19, 2012, 02:26:30 PM
I've played Marvel vs Capcom 2, which I enjoyed.  I just find the ridiculous DLC that is really just keys to unlock content on the disc and multiple revisions to be disgusting.  awdood;

Yeah, but none of their fighters are new anymore and that's not a problem anymore. Except with SF x Tekken, which I don't recommend getting anyway, but that's just me.

Either way, SFIV didn't actually do any of that, and MvC3 only did it with the only two DLC characters there were. The actual issue is that Capcom always makes revisions of their games. That's where the strain on our finances comes in.

Edit: well, SFXTekken does have the stupid day-1 dlc bullshit, but again, I don't recommend that game anyway, personally

ME##

Quote from: Cirno on March 19, 2012, 02:29:24 PM
Either way, SFIV didn't actually do any of that, and MvC3 only did it with the only two DLC characters there were. The actual issue is that Capcom always makes revisions of their games. That's where the strain on our finances comes in.

yes.  i could understand prior to this generation about making actual boxed revisions to games, but they should just be reasonably priced dlc now, every ps3 owner has a hard drive and i'd assume most xbox owners do.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Dovydas on March 19, 2012, 02:33:23 PM
yes.  i could understand prior to this generation about making actual boxed revisions to games, but they should just be reasonably priced dlc now, every ps3 owner has a hard drive and i'd assume most xbox owners do.

agreed. as much as i love having more physical discs, there's not much of a reason for game expansions to not be dlc anymore. i mean umvc3 has a lot of differences, sure, so i can see it being a fairly pricey expansion, but it still doesn't need to be a disc nor does it need to be $40 (though it's probably not even that much anymore)

ME##

Quote from: Cirno on March 19, 2012, 02:36:17 PM
agreed. as much as i love having more physical discs, there's not much of a reason for game expansions to not be dlc anymore. i mean umvc3 has a lot of differences, sure, so i can see it being a fairly pricey expansion, but it still doesn't need to be a disc nor does it need to be $40 (though it's probably not even that much anymore)

yes.  hopefully over the next generation of consoles developers learn that dlc is a means of extending a game and not a lazy way of getting more money out of people on day one. 

and according gamestop it is. awdood;

Commander Fuckass

Quote from: Dovydas on March 19, 2012, 02:18:08 PM
Soulcalibur V?  I haven't played one since II, but I can't imagine it being bad now. 
Pretty much this

though it is stripped of modes that Soul Calibur III/IV had

http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

Snowy

SCV
BlazBlue Continuum Shift (get Extend if you want all the add-ons and the most content)
MvC3
MvC2
Tatsunoko vs Capcom

Samus Aran

Also, with regards to your question about preset combos, Strongbad, it really sort of depends on the series and on the characters, I guess. Generally speaking, yeah, certain things chain into certain other things, that's kind of the way "normal" fighting games have worked for a long time, and you can't just combo any way you want. But there's always many different ways to mix up your combos, and certain ones are only good for certain situations, and you know, as I'm sitting here writing this, it all sounds like something everyone knows already and is pretty common knowledge lol.

By the way, if you want to play online and with friends, as far as 2D fighters go, basically your best bets for current gen fighters are Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition and Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3...for now. The latter is fast-paced with ridiculously high combo counts and 3-vs-3 tag team battles, the former is classic Street Fighter more or less, meant to be played more defensively than aggressively, with arguably a lot more strategy involved.

Samus Aran

Oh and uh since I see Snowy recommended Blazblue, I will mention that Guilty Gear is also great, namely Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus. Of course, it's not a new game, I don't think there's any version of it with online play. Maybe the PSP and Wii versions have it, idk. I've only played it on PS2.

Both Guilty Gear and Blazblue are really silly and hectic and fast as hell, just know that they're also kinda weeaboo and have very steep learning curves.

strongbad

Can you describe how Blazblue functions as a fighter? I know that this is a really weird question, but honestly all 2D fighting games look exactly the same to me. What sets Blazblue apart?

I'm coming to the realization that all I want from this thread is for somebody to suggest Melee clone, which doesn't actually exist. I really wish that there were more solid King of the Hill style fighters.

Snowy

Quote from: MF Doom on March 20, 2012, 12:19:35 AM
Can you describe how Blazblue functions as a fighter? I know that this is a really weird question, but honestly all 2D fighting games look exactly the same to me. What sets Blazblue apart?
If you can memorize combos then BlazBlue is a blast. Combos take you into the air, it's fast paced, and the story is actually pretty fun. But just know it's very anime-y.

Go Up