September 30, 2024, 03:39:08 AM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Hot Damn!

Started by Boogus Epirus Aurelius, January 03, 2012, 12:51:22 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

I just bought a Roland Sh-201 for $150.

It's missing some slider caps and one of the bank slot buttons is gummy, but I can fix that up easy.
Has nice pad sounds and some adequate kick here and there, but there's a lot of focus on these stupid trancy presents. Why?
Easy to build noise too. The front panel's like a roadmap. No menus.
Arpeggiator's nice enough, but I'm not sure if you can tweak the presets in there or not.
The D-beam (infared sensor that detects movement that you can attach to pitch, Amp or filter modulation) is cheesy as hell but fun to use.

I don't know if I'm going to keep it or not. I could flip it for a few hundred at least...
It's fun though and has decent sound for a VA. More depth and option than a fucking microkorg, that's for sure.

I just like getting packages in the mail.

piano moths

wow.... that's really beautiful...whoa. where did you get such a good deal?!?! sonice I want to hear what you do with it  hocuspocus;
kill them w kindness

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: eeeeeee on January 03, 2012, 12:52:56 PM
wow.... that's really beautiful...whoa. where did you get such a good deal?!?! sonice I want to hear what you do with it  hocuspocus;

Guitar center's used section has actually been really good to me. They have a bad reputation and everything and supporting local shops is important, but steals like that are hard to pass up.

You still messing around with your sampler at all?

piano moths

Quote from: Boognish-Redux- on January 03, 2012, 12:56:25 PM
Guitar center's used section has actually been really good to me. They have a bad reputation and everything and supporting local shops is important, but steals like that are hard to pass up.

You still messing around with your sampler at all?

Damn. If I saw it I would buy it too! It looks like it will be helping you do really awesome things. I'll have to check out this used section they have.

Ya so far I have just made only two songs. The one I posted here and then another like a week or two later. Then I made a song with my friend last week which was more driven by her haha but still fun. I think I'm meeting up with her again today.
this is what we did:
http://freeflowers.bandcamp.com/track/cure-for-sadness-feat-carly-alton
kill them w kindness

silvertone

that looks Really Rad.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

i want to buy a keyboard or a sampler but it's hard when you're poor.

Like, I really think I would do a good job with electronic music, even though I don't know enough about music to really make it. I can play guitar ok, but a lot of what I play is just noodling and it doesn't hold up well in sequence.

brian eno was ttalking about how he made the music for Everything That Happens Will Happen Today, and we was saying he just played random notes and fixed them later. that sounds like a good idea. maybe not on organic way of doing it, but it sounds ok.

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: N o t S i d on January 03, 2012, 04:54:25 PM
i want to buy a keyboard or a sampler but it's hard when you're poor.

Like, I really think I would do a good job with electronic music, even though I don't know enough about music to really make it. I can play guitar ok, but a lot of what I play is just noodling and it doesn't hold up well in sequence.

brian eno was ttalking about how he made the music for Everything That Happens Will Happen Today, and we was saying he just played random notes and fixed them later. that sounds like a good idea. maybe not on organic way of doing it, but it sounds ok.

Most DAW's and some VST's have lengthy trials and are usually pretty accessible to permanently borrow via torrent if you're feeling ambitious. Pick up a cheapie MIDI keyboard or pad controller on ebay and get rolling.

snoorkel

DAMN!! That is the synth I've wanted for awhile, I'm attracted to the analog oscis in modern electronics, and the possibility for digital connectivity (not an option with most analog synths obviously)... if you want to get rid of it, I would buy it from you IN A SECOND. PLEASE. MAN. SELL IT TO ME!!!

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: vziard on January 06, 2012, 04:05:31 AM
DAMN!! That is the synth I've wanted for awhile, I'm attracted to the analog oscis in modern electronics, and the possibility for digital connectivity (not an option with most analog synths obviously)... if you want to get rid of it, I would buy it from you IN A SECOND. PLEASE. MAN. SELL IT TO ME!!!

I think I'm going to hold onto it for a while at least.
This thing doesn't really seem built well for usable leads (I've emulated some funky organ sound-alikes but most things come out trancy or early eighties cheese), but there's a really rich reservoir you can dig in for some cool, deep, evolving pads and enough kick for some badass bass.

The computer based editor and librarian software is cool for backing shit up and editing and works pretty much in real time (although editing on the computer seems kind of counter-productive when you look on the front panel of the machine(except for arpeggio patterns and modding the pitch/mod lever)).

I'm really having fun with it.

Hiro

oooh that looks really awesome

Go Up