September 28, 2024, 07:25:06 PM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Suggest me SHMUPS

Started by strongbad, December 20, 2011, 01:07:50 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

I love shmups, but I have a lot of trouble finding good ones.

Also, I desperately want some solid cooperative shmups, since they're fun as fuck.

Suggestions?

Samus Aran

Cooperative shmups? As in cooperative online? No idea.

Which consoles do you have? Most of the best shmups have been on the Genesis and Saturn, but there are some other fantastic ones on other consoles too. My favorite shmup ever is Ikaruga. The easiest way to get that game these days is through XBLA. It's quite cheap. Its not-quite-as-good-but-still-amazing predecessor, Radiant Silvergun, is now also on XBLA.

For the Gradius series, I think an awful lot of them are on Wii's virtual console. Life Force and Gradius III are both classics of this series. Gradius V is on the PS2. There's a collection on the PSP that has Gradius II as well as III (I think), since II was never localized before that.

Lightening Force looks to be fucking amazing, I haven't played it myself, but yeah. That's on the Genesis. Also on the Genesis are the fantastic MUSHA (very expensive though), as well as the various Thunder Force games, and plenty of other decent shmups as well.

The Saturn has tons of shmups that were never localized. Donpachi and Dodonpachi, for example. But it also has greats like Darius Gaiden and Galactic Attack. The latter is quite cheap. But I highly doubt you have a Saturn. Wait, are you just going to be pirating all these anyway? If so then prices don't really matter.

The DS has Nanostray, p. cool.

The PS1 has a few interesting shmups. Einhander for example.

Dreamcast's got Mars Matrix, Giga Wing...some others too.

The R-Type series is good but a little frustrating for my tastes. Super R-Type's on the SNES, as is R-Type III. Not sure about the others in the series.

There's a great site for these simply called 'SHMUPS!" You should look there for more. Either way, shmup fan or not, I think everyone at least needs to experience Ikaruga. It's just amazing.

Commander Fuckass

Kaz came all over this topic.

http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

AAAAAAAA

ncba93ivyase

lightening force is the best singleplayer

r-type 1 and r-type iii are good

dodonpachi and everything by cave is good

jamestown support multiplayer

ikaruga as well

steel empire is a fun yet easy shmup

gaiares is pretty unique and cool

silpheed for ps2 is cool

in regards to gradius, ii, iv, and gaiden are my favorites; they're all on the psp collection

tyrian is a western shmup, and it's just okay. western shmups in general suck so it's pretty good by that measure

thunder force iii is neat

axelay is absolutely gorgeous and probably the best the snes offers

over horizon on the famicom (emulate it) is great

layer section/galactic attack/rayforce is great

most arcade/mame shmups are multiplayer; i'd suggest things like armed police batrider, battle garegga, and batsugun

avoid the 194X series like the plague

the strikers: 194X series is completely different and pretty good, however

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Samus Aran

Quote from: Pancake Persona on December 20, 2011, 08:11:44 PM
axelay is absolutely gorgeous and probably the best the snes offers

i forgot to mention this one. it is indeed gorgeous, it does some very interesting things graphically that you don't really see in other games on the snes. its pseudo-3d styling is more appealing than the more typical mode 7 stuff you'd see on the console.

and yet i don't own it cry;

strongbad

i should play axelay
i've heard great things about it

i'll look into those mame ones, that could be fun.

any good console shumps with coop? Besides ikaruga?

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: MF Doom on December 20, 2011, 08:21:03 PM
i should play axelay
i've heard great things about it

i'll look into those mame ones, that could be fun.

any good console shumps with coop? Besides ikaruga?
considering i've always played games alone, i don't even know what games support multiplayer

i think gradius v may support it, but i'm not sure. it's hard as hell and i'd imagine having two people would make it infinitely more bearable.

the castle shikigami series has multiplayer, but i wouldn't recommend it. it's not bad, but it's very, very bland. it's also an arcade port, so look for anything from the arcades and it's a sign that there's a 99% chance it'll have multiplayer

also, sigma star saga is a pretty cool gba shmup rpg.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Geno

Did Lawlz come back just for this thread?
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

Commander Fuckass

Geno

Quote from: Kefka on December 20, 2011, 10:41:30 PM
no. so shut up
It was the first post I've seen by him in months lol
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

Andria

I will have to check out some of the games mentioned in here
Quote from: Kefka on December 20, 2011, 10:41:30 PM
no. so shut up

Don't be so rude.

Commander Fuckass

speaking of shumps

I ordered Nano Assault

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Kefka on December 20, 2011, 11:12:39 PM
speaking of shumps

I ordered Nano Assault
i want that, but i need money for food

i'll wait for it to be $10 on amazon

strongbad

Go Up