September 30, 2024, 12:35:04 AM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Shameful PotD: How should co-op be handled?

Started by ME##, October 28, 2011, 02:00:43 PM

previous topic - next topic

Which type of co-op is best?

Having the game use co-op as its main focus [Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, Borderlands and LittleBigPlanet].
0 (0%)
Having co-op mainly as an extra, both/all players are playing the real campaign [Halo, Resistance and other brown shooters].
6 (60%)
Same as above but requiring the players to have completed the campaign on their own to not mess with the main story/experience.
1 (10%)
Having co-op completely as an extra, has nothing to do with the story [Uncharted and Husbando Simulator 2185].
1 (10%)
I've never played a co-op capable shame before and will never.
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: October 29, 2011, 02:04:52 PM

Go Down

ME##

In my opinion, option number three is the best if there's going to be any co-op at all.  Since in some of those games, Husbandos and Unmapped Areas for example, you're [almost] always playing with AI 'buddies', having one or two real life people replace them wouldn't completely ruin the game experience if you were replaying it and/or trying to fully complete the game.

[spoiler]Of course that would mean there would need to be decent net code, which I understand is hard for Bioware since they have to use EA's shitty online servers, but for Naughty Dog it shouldn't be so impossible to make main story co-op a reality.  akudood;[/spoiler]

Thyme

uh idk portal 2 is the next to last one i guess

also why aren't you showing the results lol

PLEASEHELP1991

i voted for I've never played a co-op capable shame before and will never.
because the games i typically play don't really lend themselves well to co-op in
I love [you]

ME##

Quote from: Thyme on October 28, 2011, 02:03:47 PM
uh idk portal 2 is the next to last one i guess

also why aren't you showing the results lol

True.  I'm not sure, I did enjoy Portal 2's co-op, though I'd consider it almost a separate half-game in itself.  It's not like Valve took puzzles from the main story, touched them up a bit and just put Atlas and P-body in them like ND did with U2. befuddlement

[spoiler]They'll be revealed tomorrow.  [/spoiler]

Thyme

hhhhnnnngggg i miss being in the best p-body/atlas team ever :(

ME##

Quote from: Thyme on October 28, 2011, 02:36:07 PM
hhhhnnnngggg i miss being in the best p-body/atlas team ever :(

yyy.  who knows, maybe we'll get more co-op once hl2:e3 is released.

[spoiler]sillydood;[/spoiler]

Andria

It really depends on the game.

Something like Borderlands takes coop and does it perfectly. You can hop in and out of your friends games with all the gear you've gotten from your game/other online playing. The enemies scale perfectly so it's still difficult for your group. Definitely a great coop game.

Other's are better off not doing coop or if they do, at least having it just be an extra.

Samus Aran

It's unfair to force the player to have to play on their own at first. Some games are simply better when played co-op, after all. Look at Resident Evil 5.

Playing the main campaign via co-op is usually the best way to go. But sometimes it can be nice if the game has a totally different story or scenario for co-op. Depends on how it's handled, really. Different scenario worked really well for Portal 2.

snoorkel

I don't really like co-op, I'm uncomfortable with the idea of other niggers being in my game. MY GAME, MY WORLD

Geno

Dead Island has a pretty cool co-op system. It tracks the progress of everyone playing and it gives you a list of people who are at the same part of the game as you. You can choose to join any one of those players. It's not really perfect, but if more games built a system similar to it, that would be pretty cool.
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

YPrrrr

Lol like I'd ever play through a game twice girl;

Full campaign for all THE POWER OF GOD

Samus Aran

Quote from: Yip Yipper on October 29, 2011, 08:03:48 PM
Lol like I'd ever play through a game twice girl;

it seems like a lot of boyagers have a problem replaying games

which i find strange befuddlement

Thyme

Quote from: Kaz on October 29, 2011, 10:41:19 PM
it seems like a lot of boyagers have a problem replaying games

which i find strange befuddlement