October 25, 2024, 02:26:36 PM

1,531,341 Posts in 46,732 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

study habits

Started by snoorkel, October 12, 2011, 08:57:59 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

snoorkel

how do you 'study'. I guess this might apply more to those of you who actually have to focus your schedules on passing arbitrary exams, but you can 'study' without a course to study for, too!

my friends: sticky notes, sticky flags, notebook. for active reading. I write down key quotes and words I don't know and definitions of terms I don't know (psychology n alchemy has 3 pages of latin phrases so far :'( ). when I'm done I go back through everything I flagged or added notes to and think about it again, make my own thoughts about it, and write them down in the notebook.
[spoiler][/spoiler[/url]]

those sticky flags cost like 6 fucking dollars at CVS and literally cost me as much as cigarettes per week
[spoiler][img]http://boyah.net/wziard/IMAG0103.jpg[/img]
currently reading pile[/spoiler]

Socks

I listen to the lecture half a skeptic half a scribe. The rest is pretentious bullshit that I decode and then describe, in my internal factory and such. Then I think about the sentiments I've learned. And it leads me somewhere new. So I get blunted and read some pages or two, maybe even write something down. Then I ace whatever test or work is due. Strictly the Man and his mental notices and plan. I don't use any external method system or mark, like stick notes or what have you. Either I do or I don't. No need to make a theater out of it.

piano moths

I just pay attention in class and do the assigned reading and all my assignments and go over study guides and then I do well on tests.
kill them w kindness

bluaki

I've never had to study extra for any class. I read the book once, listen to the lectures, and sometimes write down notes during the lecture for unfamiliar terms that I'll never look at again. bassir;

but when learning something on my own outside of any class, I tend to write notes as I'm reading and actually look back at them. I still don't use things like sticky notes or bookmarks.

??????

i read then try to associate them with previous experiences or future ones so i can properly bond them with my emotions
if they're something very 'sterile' and technical, then i break the numbers and formulas down and tie them to instrumental sounds that come from my head then rewind and play and then i'd associate that with an emotion

it's such a slow process though, but it gives me such a great understanding of the material and it stays with me for a very long time

silvertone

Quote from: vziard on October 12, 2011, 08:57:59 PM
how do you 'study'. I guess this might apply more to those of you who actually have to focus your schedules on passing arbitrary exams, but you can 'study' without a course to study for, too!

my friends: sticky notes, sticky flags, notebook. for active reading. I write down key quotes and words I don't know and definitions of terms I don't know (psychology n alchemy has 3 pages of latin phrases so far :'( ). when I'm done I go back through everything I flagged or added notes to and think about it again, make my own thoughts about it, and write them down in the notebook.

i do this.

snoorkel

Quote from: Clucky on October 13, 2011, 12:11:59 PM
i read then try to associate them with previous experiences or future ones so i can properly bond them with my emotions
if they're something very 'sterile' and technical, then i break the numbers and formulas down and tie them to instrumental sounds that come from my head then rewind and play and then i'd associate that with an emotion

it's such a slow process though, but it gives me such a great understanding of the material and it stays with me for a very long time

that's interesting (and schizophrenic?). when I'm working with math or other things demanding technical diligence I have to encode it in my memory graphically-intuitively, if I can't think of a visual analog I'll be doomed to looking back at it over and over.

Socks

October 13, 2011, 07:14:05 PM #7 Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 07:20:48 PM by Socks
When information told turns into knowledge held, the bridge of learning is approached and crossed. Interpretation gives rise to sense, and transforms something meaningless to something grand. I must understand how everything fits together and forms our world. The future and the past. The present that exists. I will never forget who developed Geometry, not for the figures and or the graphs, but because Kings were told there is no Royal Path. I don't remember history as a list of dates and names, I see distinctly each and every time of consequences, continue on until today. Ideas and sentiments, form the backbone of wisdom and enlightenment. Power is the proper use thereof. Fundamentally, it is our spirit which commands the levels we ascend, not the school or teacher and especially not the time or money spent.

??????

Quote from: vziard on October 13, 2011, 01:31:44 PM
that's interesting (and schizophrenic?). when I'm working with math or other things demanding technical diligence I have to encode it in my memory graphically-intuitively, if I can't think of a visual analog I'll be doomed to looking back at it over and over.
lol YES
it's weird
i have this schizophrenic friend and we share so much similarities in cognition
i just lack the turbulent hallucinations

PLEASEHELP1991

I tend to use the method of loci... making note of the details of the examination room.
I love [you]

snoorkel

Quote from: Clucky on October 17, 2011, 09:26:13 AM
lol YES
it's weird
i have this schizophrenic friend and we share so much similarities in cognition
i just lack the turbulent hallucinations

for now goonish

Go Up