October 06, 2024, 08:29:26 AM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

What movie should I watch

Started by Hiro, October 09, 2011, 03:08:27 PM

previous topic - next topic

What movie do I watch on Netflix right now

Howl's Moving Castle
4 (44.4%)
The Science of Sleep
2 (22.2%)
8 1/2
0 (0%)
The Blues Brothers
2 (22.2%)
Trainspotting
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Go Down

Samus Aran

Quote from: Hiro on October 10, 2011, 10:51:05 AM
1 - awful
2 - bad
3 - meh
4 - fine
5 - good
6 - great
7 - amazing

vs

1 - awful
2 - awful
3 - awful
4 - awful
5 - awful
6 - bad
7 - fine
8 - good
9 - great
10 - amazing

or vs

1 completely unwatchable
2 awful
3 just plain bad, but seen worse
4 more bad than good
5 mediocre, average at best
6 decent, i guess, with glaring flaws
7 good, but not great
8 great
9 amazing
10 near perfection (loosely speaking of course)

it's really not that unreasonable to say that it's possible to make a good 1-10 scale, and there's no reason to assume that everything 4 and below has to be "awful" by default

i think you've been observing the video game journalism grading scale too much n_u

Hiro

Now the question I which two today and which two tomorrow girl;

Samus Aran

Quote from: Hiro on October 10, 2011, 11:01:21 AM
Now the question I which two today and which two tomorrow girl;

trainspotting now, the others whenever :|

piano moths

trainspotting is really really great.
my friend shot up heroin last week and was talking about the experience and said that getting a bad grade was more than shooting up heroin. Which isjust funny.
kill them w kindness

Hiro

Quote from: Reisen on October 10, 2011, 10:59:54 AM
or vs

1 completely unwatchable
2 awful
3 just plain bad, but seen worse
4 more bad than good
5 mediocre, average at best
6 decent, i guess, with glaring flaws
7 good, but not great
8 great
9 amazing
10 near perfection (loosely speaking of course)

it's really not that unreasonable to say that it's possible to make a good 1-10 scale, and there's no reason to assume that everything 4 and below has to be "awful" by default

i think you've been observing the video game journalism grading scale too much n_u
it's not just video games that use the 10 rating scale that way though, it seems to be more or less the same with music and movie reviews. Maybe not quite as bad, but anything 5 and below always seems to boil down to "avoid"
Or course you can get a 10 scale working fine, but I still think a 7 scale has all the basic levels of satisfaction. I don't really like 100 or 10.0 scales, because honestly is a 7.5 rating any different from a 7.6?

Hiro

Alright, so Trainspotting aaaand Howl's Moving Castle.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Hiro on October 10, 2011, 11:06:11 AM
it's not just video games that use the 10 rating scale that way though, it seems to be more or less the same with music and movie reviews. Maybe not quite as bad, but anything 5 and below always seems to boil down to "avoid"
Or course you can get a 10 scale working fine, but I still think a 7 scale has all the basic levels of satisfaction. I don't really like 100 or 10.0 scales, because honestly is a 7.5 rating any different from a 7.6?

well yeah but fuck professional reviews, man

just fuck 'em

Nyerp

uh yeah we're talking about rating things yourself here

7 is just an ugly prime number and that's just simply bad for scoring things (5 is okay since it's just half of 10)

because honestly is a 7.5 rating any different from a 7.6?

who said you had to use decimals at all

Hiro

Quote from: Sakamoto on October 10, 2011, 11:27:17 AM

7 is just an ugly prime number and that's just simply bad for scoring things (5 is okay since it's just half of 10)

I don't really like 100 or 10.0 scales, because honestly is a 7.5 rating any different from a 7.6?
we're talking about rating systems, many of which have decimals.

Nyerp

snoorkel

Quote from: Sakamoto on October 10, 2011, 11:27:17 AM

no, 7 is a beautiful number, and half of 14 which is an even more beautiful number, by using .5 increments on the 7 scale you get 14 rating options instead of 20 which is far too many. don't need out of 5, don't need out of 10 or all these rating scales (especially fuck out of 4), just 7. that's it. it works for everything. just enough room to make a perfectly communicable rating without any ambiguity.

here's my problem with 10, there's too many increments that lose their meaning. what's 8.5/10 compared to 9/10? what's 2.5/10 compared to 3/10? the difference is clear but seems negligible. a 4.5/7 or a 5/7 has a clear difference of intention.

so I hope you also will adopt the 7-point rating scale for the rest of your life :)

YPrrrr

Quote from: vziard on October 10, 2011, 12:53:09 PM
no, 7 is a beautiful number, and half of 14 which is an even more beautiful number, by using .5 increments on the 7 scale you get 14 rating options instead of 20 which is far too many. don't need out of 5, don't need out of 10 or all these rating scales (especially fuck out of 4), just 7. that's it. it works for everything. just enough room to make a perfectly communicable rating without any ambiguity.

here's my problem with 10, there's too many increments that lose their meaning. what's 8.5/10 compared to 9/10? what's 2.5/10 compared to 3/10? the difference is clear but seems negligible. a 4.5/7 or a 5/7 has a clear difference of intention.

so I hope you also will adopt the 7-point rating scale for the rest of your life :)
This sounds like when I argued the merits of fahrenheit against the europeans' Celsius girl;

snoorkel

Quote from: Yip Yipper on October 10, 2011, 01:01:52 PM
This sounds like when I argued the merits of fahrenheit against the europeans' Celsius girl;

at least fahrenheit has a core of supporters, I'm fighting an uphill battle here

Nyerp

Quote from: vziard on October 10, 2011, 12:53:09 PM

no, that's retarded :D

silvertone

Go Up