October 01, 2024, 12:25:03 PM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Games that you feel have aged poorly

Started by Samus Aran, September 21, 2011, 10:09:15 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

And I don't mean games where you can simply say "oh these graphics haven't aged well," I mean poor aging in a way that genuinely decreases the enjoyment you have with the game as opposed to how much you might have enjoyed it in the past.

One thing Thyme mentioned the other day is the old RE games, while I was streaming RE3. While I do enjoy the older RE games, I'm somewhat inclined to agree. That old style of horror is not really effective anymore (although games never really scare me anyway so maybe I'm a bit biased there), but more importantly, I think that the control scheme is simply a hassle now. I enjoy what else the games have to offer, but the clunky directional controls just aggravate me. It's not something that would be acceptable at all in modern gaming, thankfully.

YPrrrr

Goldeneye. A million times Goldeneye. Also Turok 2. It wasn't that great to begin with, but it had a fun multiplayer mode where one player was a monkey and had to avoid being killed by the others.

The controls for both are just awful now

ME##

September 21, 2011, 12:06:38 PM #2 Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 12:09:53 PM by Taavet
Quote from: 紛らわしい日本語名 on September 21, 2011, 12:04:22 PM
Goldeneye. A million times Goldeneye. Also Turok 2. It wasn't that great to begin with, but it had a fun multiplayer mode where one player was a monkey and had to avoid being killed by the others.

The controls for both are just awful now

Agreed.  I saw it at my 'friend's' house when I went over there once, so he and I played it for about an hour.  Very disappointed I was. awdood;

YPrrrr

Also one of my friends claims Phatasy Star online was awesome but I played it with him and it was clunk beyond playability. Running in, doing a two hit combo and running away before the enemy's clunky slash is not fun

Samus Aran

I agree with Goldeneye as well, but for some reason it still remains pretty fun for me honestly, which is why it baffles me that I don't actually own it, cause I'd like to play it again sometime.

befuddlement

Tomboh

perfect dark

i saw my friend had it one day and im like DUDE WE SHOULD PLAY THIS GAME WAS AWESOME I PLAYED IT ALL THE TIME

we played it and we were all like.... 5thgrade;

silvertone

ME##

Quote from: steal on September 21, 2011, 05:16:29 PM
all 3D playstation games

i would say that metal gear solid is still sound game play wise.  the only major thing it lacks is the ability to shoot in first person view, but the game wasn't designed with it in mind and it ends up making the game ridiculously easy, just look at the twin snakes. 

Samus Aran

Quote from: Taavet on September 21, 2011, 06:07:39 PM
i would say that metal gear solid is still sound game play wise.  the only major thing it lacks is the ability to shoot in first person view, but the game wasn't designed with it in mind and it ends up making the game ridiculously easy, just look at the twin snakes. 

well GAMEPLAY wise a lot of 3d playstation games haven't really aged at all, namely all the good rpgs on it. but that awkward early attempt at 3d will always look silly, whether it be n64 or ps1, that's for sure. n_u

Hippopo

Quote from: silvertone on September 21, 2011, 06:05:36 PM
agreed. except spyro.
Yeah.  Spyro didn't get worse with age because it was already as bad as it could be. y/n

And..

Super Smash Bros the original.  :'(

YPrrrr

I still enjoy the original SSB...

It's just that kirby and pikachu are OP as fuck

Nyerp

Quote from: Hippopo on September 22, 2011, 02:02:06 PM
Yeah.  Spyro didn't get worse with age because it was already as bad as it could be. y/n

And..

Super Smash Bros the original.  :'(

n

and NO

god hippo wtf :|

Nyerp

Kalahari Inkantation

i'm having an extremely hard time answering this question befuddlement

the only example i can think of is the original zelda game, but i didn't play that until nearly 20 years after its initial release and i didn't find it amazing then either, but it certainly hasn't gotten any worse in the five or so years since i've played it befuddlement

Hiro

Go Up